Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 26-Official Team "Bustin' The Nuts" Thread >

26-Official Team "Bustin' The Nuts" Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

26-Official Team "Bustin' The Nuts" Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 26-Official Team "Bustin' The Nuts" Thread

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

I've taken a brake from bow hunting until the middle of Jan. New year and I have a lot of work pile up.

I bow huntedbefore Christmas but failed to see anything with any horns to speak of which was very unusual. However, This past week I took my 10 year old son on his first major hunting trip. I took him back home and went goose hunting and black powder. Shot our limit on the geese one morning. The next morning, we went to hunt deer with a new ground blind tent. Wow, it was exciting. Right at legal shootingtime we had a big deer walk right up to the backside of the tent at about 10 feet away. Knew he was big because of the steps but we couldn't see him. I set up the tent right at the end of a top of a tree fall with leaves. My son asked in a whisper"should I take it off safety?". I replied yes. The buck heard the click ( as you would know) jumps off to about 40 yrds. That's where I saw his high and heavy mass. I could make out his body but didn't think my son could. Afterwards, he said he did see his body but was waiting for me to tell him to shoot.He stood there for about 2 secs before he turned and went into the park.

Blame it on classic buck fever or one scenario not discussed prior. Being in the tent was a new and exciting experience and for both of us tolearn at the sametime was awesome. And then add in his first deer he saw was at least 150+. It's a good thing he didn't kill it. He might expect it next time as well. Anyway, we got to shoot a big Doe and almost was able to shoot another Doe that evening. I was hunting another new spot and two Does right at 5 mins left to shoot, walked up to the back of the tent 5 feet away. It was perfect because we had only seen two hikers at about 100 yrds away.I told him, I have had deer walk up the last minute. Then they arrived.

Thanks for letting me share my first real hunt with my son. We are already planning our spring turkey. I will still get out a few more times. I'm hoping for at least 5 more days. Since we're way behind, I may stay picky. We'll see, I'd like to use my second buck tag since I paid for it.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:24 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Fieldmouse

Sounds like a great hunt with your son !! Congrats on the big doe !!

Tim
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Well guy, it looks like it's up to me to shoot a 430+ point buck next week. I hope not all of them have lost their racks. I'm up for the challenge. I've got my trip planed. I want to use my second buck tag since I spent the 25 dollars for it. The good news is that if they have paired back up I can drop two in a row since I've already shot the required does for the second buck. My goal next week is at least 1 buck and 3 more does We shall see.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of involvement.

I shot a nubbin buck in November and have not had a chance to get out in the woods since. Maybe next year.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Well FM, it looks like you fell 315"+ short on your quest for a 430" contest winning buck...

Seriously though, great buck! Congrats on a good year!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Sorry about falling short. I didn't get to see anything big. I did see every other deer in the county though. I had hunts with over 60 deer coming into my area. Some had some big bodies off in the distance but I didn't see any racks. Makes me think they dropped already. I decided to drop this buck to fill one of my buck tags. He wasn't old and woud have looked real good next year. However, there were several like him so the stock is good for next year.