2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

6 - Official Team SBD Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 6 - Official Team 6 Thread

Good luck John, and everyone else that's going out.

Well, last night I was covered in poison ivy, soaking wet, and pretty darn miserable. I moved my hang on to a great new spot on the one property I have. I had been hunting the edge of a grass field that has a lot of clover in it and was right off a stand of oaks. With the hot, dry weather and the acorns no longer falling deer sightings here slowed to a halt. So, I had noticed a lot of deer hitting a soybean field across the road and crossing over and cutting across the top of the property so I decided to put my stand up in the hedgerow they cross to get to the top field. As is typical in PA good trees in the hedgerow are hard to come by. I was able to find one that was right over a heavy crossing where there is a break in the cattle fence. There was poison ivy all over the tree and I could only effectively get 12 feet up, but it has good cover and my options were limted. So, I got to cutting and hanging. I got my shooting lanes cut and I'm actually pretty happy with the setup. Well, that was Sunday and now I have poison ivy all over my hands and forearms. Now they have harvested the soybeans [:@] so who knows what that will do for their travel. I got to that stand last night in a drizzle that continued to decline to a heavy, steady rain. Apparently, the deer had more sense than I did and stayed holed up for the night. So, itchy and soaked I made my way out after dark.

I'm going to hit my good weekday spot tomorrow and a good morning spot Saturday. A buddy is going to take me out to one of his spots Saturday evening, so I've got some hopes for this weekend.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, I just gotta vent a little. I'm getting pretty frustrated here. The good news is that I've been able to hunt more this season than the past 3 seasons combined. The bad news is I feel like I've been a day late and a buck short (literally) all season. The last 2 days have been a perfect example of this. As I mentioned in my previous post I went out Wednesday and sat through some miserable weather and toughed it out on a day when deer were unlikely to be moving. As a result, I needed to wash and dry all of the clothes I wore. Well, I left my stuff in the dryer and my bow at home yesterday in anticipation of another nasty day. Well, it was cold and windy, but the rain stopedin the a.m. Perfect weather for deer movement. So, there I am driving home from work with no clothes, no license, and no bow and the deer were moving everywhere. To make matters worse it's supposed to rain all of today and tomorrow. With daylight savings time coming next weekend I'm down to crunch time for available time to hunt for this bow season.

Well thanks for letting me whine. All I can do is keep at it and try to make it happen.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Hey gang, Just checkin in... The wind has been crazy this week end..still seein um.. I saw a nice 130ish today..just couldnt get close enough for a shot..Tried the horns.. but he looked like he was on a mission..
Where getting our frist frost tonight..down to 30..ist about freaking time...Vac starts in 2days.. just 2 more night shifts...
Old 10-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can says is i am beat!

Hunted 15 times in the last 8 days....passed a good buck and saw some really big ones but never closed the deal...

I have a feeling somethings going to happen soon!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

10/27 Report

Poured all morning so no point going out. The rain stopped around noon so I called my buddy and we hit one of his spots and guess what...I saw deer! It felt good to get off the skunk steak I was on. I had a nice 2.5 year old 6 point at 20 yards around 3:30. He'll be a good buck in a year or two. He is the biggest buck I had in range this year thus far. I smelled him before I saw him. Then I saw a little 1.5 year old 3 point and then a doe. During the prime time I had a little spike chase a doe under my stand and across the creek. I'm sure we would have seen more deer if the dirt biker hadn't come through at 5:00, but all in all it was a good night.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I bring you greetings from BTBowhunter. He is now on his Illinois lease and hunting daily. He was kind enough to invite me over on Sunday afternoon and I had a great time.

I was hunting a property near the Buckhorn Unit of Siloam Springs. Someone was on Buckhorn a nd using every call imaginable. It sounded horrible. Had 5 does out near me and enjoyed watching them. They cleared the field when the Buckhorn hunter tried blowing his 'Buck Roar'

Bob is doing well and seeing some good bucks. Just a matter of time he says.

Good luck all, the 'majic time' is about to hit!
Old 10-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Site Bouncer

Well my trip down to my families propertyin southern Illinoiswas a complete bust,didn't even see a deer!

I think I need to move some stands but I wanted to hunt so I just sat in the ones already up. I could hear movement down below me (deep hollow) from one stand but I never saw what was making the noise. The other one....nothing, not a thing.

The only good thing is I have a pretty good idea of where tomove thestands. The problem is it's a 5hr drive one way andif I were to go down and move stands it would pretty much screw up the hunting for that particularweekend[:'(].

So, I think what I'll do is hunt up here for the next two weeks, then go down for the gun season and hopefully kill a doeon Friday so I can spend Saturday repositioning my stands. The good thing about the gun hunt (and I've done this pretty much every year) is that I can really get a good idea ofhow the deer are moving. Then fine tune my setups for the remaining bow season.

My gunstand is right on the edge of the fields in a positionwhereI cansee pretty farin three directions. I will be able to see where the deer come out and go into the thick timber. At that point I like to try and find there staging areas and trails to them. Then I set up my bow stands accordingly.

Hopefully I'll connect on a nice deer, I know up here (Northern Illinois) there are a lot of deer and I've seen many so far this year, it's just a matter of getting on a bigger buck. Like I said, I will be happy with anything over 100in and that's what I'm looking for.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

10/30 Report:

Well fellas I saw my first shooter of the season while on stand tonight, and within bow range! Unfortunately, he was running at mach 2 trying to catch a doe he was chasing. I was sitting on the hedgerow stand that I sat in the rain last week. They crossed the road and came running by around 6 p.m. He was around a 140" buck. He had it all mass, wide spread, and high. I'm not sure if he was an 8 or a 10, but a shooter for sure. I tried grunting and bleating at him while they ran down the field, but he was on a mission and nothing was pulling him from that doe.

I'm getting closer and closer.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,

Shot one this morning. As most of you know I am participating in a manged hunt right now where we can (and are encouraged) to take three deer. Two have to be does and the third can be a buck. This little one came in around 9:00 this morning and recieved an arrow at 10.5 yards, went about 60 yards and piled up.

Right after sun up i heard a deep nasty grunt. I grunted back a little but got no response. I know there are some big bucks in the area im in, but ive yet to see a shooter. The biggest one ive seen was the one i passed above.

Here are some pictures:

Larry

Old 11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well congrats on the slickhead Mike. Good job, she'll be some good eatin'.

I went out tonight to the stand where I had the big boy chase a doe past the other night. I saw a whole lotta nothin'. They didn't seem to be moving in that area tonight for some reason. I'll be out most of the day tomorrow and then I'll be off until the following Saturday because daylight savings time will have it dark by time I can get in the stand.

Quick Reply: 6 - Official Team SBD Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.