Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 37 -Team  "Reapers of the Harvest" Official Thread >

37 -Team "Reapers of the Harvest" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

37 -Team "Reapers of the Harvest" Official Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:39 PM

Default RE: 37 - Team Official Thread

Good job Mark!

Bagged a doe last weekend. I'm gonna' hang low until the 26th. Then the game is on. I'll be hunting the 27th thru Nov 5, then back to work for 4 days and in the woods again from the 10th thru the 21st. Hopefully the chips will fall in my favor. I have a buddy from Pensicola joining me for the Nov. hunt again this year. We hog hunt in TN every spring. Gonna' be great spending time with my bud!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:43 PM

It's been too hot down here for any good hunting...... We need some COLD weather!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sat. morning report.

saw about 16--all does from what I could tell. I could have only shot one, but now know where the majority are crossing the field. Still a lot of area I haven't even got to check out on this farm--can't wait. Hunt again on Wed. evening. good luck all
Old 10-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Hey guys- still the big goose egg for me. Coming up empty so far- but hard work pays off!

Hada real young8 pointer within range, but he needs to mature another year or two (has to have at least 13" inside spread to be legal in TX), and saw another good/decent 8 point shooter, but of course out of range. From where I was at I couldn't have gotten around him without getting winded. A neighbor has seen what he calls a "bruiser" crossing back and forth twice, but I have yet to see him. There is, however, a LOT of activity in this area, it just hasn't all come together for me yet. But IT WILL!!!!!! Lol.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Congrats to everyone who has scored so far.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 AM

hey guys
How has your seasons been going? I have been seeing alot of does but no shots. I was walking aroung on friday and saw 3 fresh scapes and 2 fresh rubs. On saturday I was walking near that same spot and saw a fresh rub, steam was still coming off of it. Then I looked over to the field and saw the buck he was a nice 6 or 8 not exactly sure. I am going to set up near that spot tuesday night hopefully he is out again.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:54 PM

Things have been slow down here. But then again, we are still a good month and a half away from the rut. I have a 4,000 acre bow only property that I haven't even stepped foot on yet. I'll start hunting it hard around Thanksgiving and from then until the new year.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:09 PM

Bucks are starting to move here in Ohio. I'm headed out for 9 days this Friday. Get fine tuned for my next vacation Nov 9-20. Looking forward to it is an understatement.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cameronmclain

Hey guys- still the big goose egg for me. Coming up empty so far- but hard work pays off!

Hada real young8 pointer within range, but he needs to mature another year or two (has to have at least 13" inside spread to be legal in TX), and saw another good/decent 8 point shooter, but of course out of range. From where I was at I couldn't have gotten around him without getting winded. A neighbor has seen what he calls a "bruiser" crossing back and forth twice, but I have yet to see him. There is, however, a LOT of activity in this area, it just hasn't all come together for me yet. But IT WILL!!!!!! Lol.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Congrats to everyone who has scored so far.
Cameron, what counties are you hunting in? I spent quite some time searching TPW website for antler restrictions here in Tx and got only this.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/game_management/deer/antler_restrictions/

It says there are only restrictions in these counties: Austin, Colorado, Fayette, Lavaca, Lee, and Washington counties

I hunt out in Edwards county in the hill country and have not heard anything about restrictions.

Does it say something about it in the annual?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:18 PM

Davoh
that is a great bible verse I might have to put that on my bow somewhere!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM

Davoh-

Thanksfor posing the question. According to the website you provided, these restrictions are only for those special counties you specified. It's clear.

But in the "Outdoor Annual"it's not so clear. It lists 61 different counties where there are special restrictions. It says the bag limit is two legal bucks, but only one may have an inside spread of 13" or greater.

The next sentence says-
"a legal buck deer is defined as having:
-a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND;
-at least one unbranched antler; OR
-an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13" or greater".

So I assume this means that in these 61 counties, you may take abuck that islegal in the rest of the state (with a spreadof at least 13"), and you may take abuck that is not legal in the rest of the state (with a spread less than 13").

Ok, that is also clear. What is confusing is I'm not in one of those 61 counties. I'm hunting in Carson, Wheeler, and Collingsworth counties.

By reading just the "Outdoor Annual", it says:
"A legal buck deer is defined as having... an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater..."
same as above.

So now I'm thoroughly confused. It hasn't caused me to miss any chances so far, I just don't want to be wrong. I know a game warden fairly well, so I'll find out for sure before my next outing. Anyway, thanks Davoh for the heads up.

Good luck-

Quick Reply: 37 -Team "Reapers of the Harvest" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.