Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 1-Team "Rack Rangers" Official Thread >

1-Team "Rack Rangers" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

1-Team "Rack Rangers" Official Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1-Team "Rack Rangers" Official Thread

Congrats on the addition Mitch.

Hope all goes well for your family and the remainder of your season
Old 11-02-2006, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Again, Congrats Il Bow Man.

PM sent.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Bow Man....looks like you have yourself some future hunting buddies.

For the entries in question, it does notreally matter to me. Personally, I think that the hunter in the picture with his deer but no bow is legit.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Fork Horn

sorry guys i havent even been in the deer woods yet this year but i am going to missouri tomorrow and am going to do some bowhunting plus our duck season opens saturday so i have a fun weekend ahead... a friend was up there last week and saw several deer better than 150" so i cant wait to get after them... hopefully i will have some good pics for everyone when i get back
Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it's game time for me. I will be able to hunt 7 of the next 9 days. I'll be in my favorite stand tomarrow morning and hopefully on here later with pics of the big boy.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well my "lucky" stand struck out for me today. It was the first time in the 3 years I have hunted this standthat I did not see a deer. Moved to a different stand this afternoon and had a buck grunting to my bleats just before dark, but never got a look at him.

The woods just seem dead for this time of the year for some reason. I am going back to my stand tomarrow morning and if I see no activity then I am going to hang another stand on the property where I saw the big non typical.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck on the Big non Typical Illinois Buck Hunter.I'm headed up that way at the end of the week 2 trymy luck.I hope i did not use it all up last year.They have been seeing some good Buck's on the farms i hunt can't wait to get up there!Good Luck Guy's it's getting that time of Year!!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry I have not been around much gentleman. This season has been really hectic. No luck on my end yet but I am hoping this Saturday proves more opportunistic.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys I have got some great news. WERE ON THE BOARD! well not yet, because I have not had the chance to get the pictures onto my computer, but the buck is hanging in my yard.

It's by far not a monster, and I have actually passed some bigger deer (but younger) deer this year. The history and story behind me and this buck though made it hard to pass up and I stuck it to him.

Woke up early this morning with the intent of going and hunting a stand and taking it down after the hunt since I had seen little activity on this property and did not have much confidence in this new stand.Once I got to the field before my stand I could see some deer moving through the darkness, so the usual 10 minute walk turned into a 30 minute walk as I moved around the deer without spooking them. I climbed into my stand and got settled 10 minutes before first light feeling pretty good about the day ahead.

Right at dawn I decided to pick up the rattle bag and just click them together very lightly. 1 minute later I looked up and a small 6 pointer was coming across a cut bean field, where I had seen the deer earlier. He came within 40 yards and crossed over into the next hollow. Shortly after a little forkhorn came across the creek to the east of me and walked directly under me. Wow this rattling stuff really works. Well I grunted a few times and here came another buck.Yet another 6 pointer coming out of the same woods as the earlier 6 point. This time it walked down 20 yards in front of me and out an old farm road. All of this is within the first 20 minutes of first light. At 6:40 I decided to smash the rattle bag as loud as I could to try and draw something out of the neighbors thicket about 70 yards to the east of me.

While doing that and grunting with my backup call (my true talker broke again[:@]) I caught movement in the thicket. I kept rattling and the deer started heading downwind of me. I grabbed my grunt/snort wheeze and did 3 grunts followed by 2 wheezes and 2 more grunts and the deer stopped in its tracks and turned around. He was still about 100 yards away and all I knew was he was a buck with some points coming up. When he turned around I thought "great I blew it" but 2 mintues later I looked to my right and 30 yards away coming in stiff legged with neck puffed out was the buck that I instantly recognized. I had 3 run ins with this deer last year, and 1 this year already. I had passed on him everytime last year as a 2 1/2 year old, and he had not grown much coming into this year for some reason.

I ranged him on the old road at 28 yards and when I started to draw he caught me. I was stuck in mid draw not daring to move for about 10 seconds when he moved on. He caught whiff of my estrous scent bombs and started working in. He turned broadside and I drew my bow. Yet again he caught me and turned to run but wasnt sure if he should or not. By this time he moved in a little and was quartering towards me. After the standoff, I figured this was my best shot I would have before he busted out of there. I put my 20 yard pin low in front of his leg and released the arrow. THUMP! greeted my ears as the buck took off withblood showing highin his shoulder and the end of the arrow low on the other side.

I was pretty confident that I caught one lung, but I figured that was all since I was so high up and he was only 17 yards away. And also with the quartering towards me shot I was worried about the shoulder blade. I sat in the stand and called my dad and told him what happened. While waiting for him I looked around a little bit and found some pretty good blood and my arrow.

I backed out and me and my old man picked the trail up about 2 hours after the shot. After trailing the blood trail for 100 yards on the old road, the blood started getting worse. I was getting worried by this point when my dad yelled to me if he looked like this while pointing to the bottom of the hollow. He had broke off the trail trying to get to a bedding area before falling. He's not huge, but he is 3 1/2 years old despite his lack in antler size.He's the biggest body deer I have shot with my bow, and I had a pretty nice history with him. Also the first deer I have ever rattled into range and shot, and the first time I had went into a new part of the property with no previous knowledge about the area or what was around it and hung a setup. When I gutted him, I realized that my Montec completly smashed through the shoulder blade and out the rib cage and looks brand new still.

I will get pics as soon as I can, and get it onto the score sheet. I thought he would go around 110, my dad and brother in law said he would may go into the 120's, which is very small for a 3 1/2 yr. old buck on our land.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys but I went hunting this weekend with the smokepole and wouldn't you know it I had two bucks and 6 turkeys within 18 yards (I got one of each). Still had a good time though and went out for the evening with my bow but had to cut the hunt short to help my Dad drag his eight pointer. Oh well. Here's my take for the morning:

Quick Reply: 1-Team "Rack Rangers" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.