Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 10- Team "10 POINT" Offical Thread >

10- Team "10 POINT" Offical Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

10- Team "10 POINT" Offical Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 10 Point

I went over to IL hunting today. Saw 2 does and a young one from my stand about 80 yds away. Then I took the long way back to the truck to check out the woods, since I haven't been there in a while. While sneaking along a ridge I hear a deer snort. Look over and see a nice buck bounding over the hill. The ridge leads down into a big ravine and there are rubs everywhere. There are a lot of small hard maple trees there. I bet 50 trees are tore up in an area the size of my house. I sat there this afternoon but didn't see anything. I think it was early season sign. But I will keep that area in mind for next year.

I also visited my friend the taxidermist. He has about 200 deer to mount so far this year. The biggest is a 188 incher taken the first week of bow season. Tons of racks over 150 inches. And lots of really large bodied deer with huge necks. He is down somewhat this year because the second shotgun season came on the weekend we had the ice and snow storm. People could not get to their hunting areas. Some of that area got 14 in of snow.Hopefully that means more bucks left for next year.

One of the neighbors to the farm I hunt got a nice 10 point with bow between the 2 shotgun seasons. It scores 152 in.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Getting ready for our extended season. Starts a week from today. The weather here has been above our average. Spent most of last week in the 50's. Supposed to cool down today and tomorrow but back up to the 50's by the weekend.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 PM

nothing to report here.... gun season is over, no luck.....and now i'm waiting for muzzzle loader to start on the 27th.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I hope all is well with everyone. I have been hunting but the hunting has been hard. No deer even seen the last few times I was out. I don't know but it sure has me wondering. I am going out to hunt tomorrow and then I may walk a bit just to see what the heck is going on out there. never had this happen where I didn't see deer in any stand. I am trying to pull of a Christmas eve hunt with my wifes uncle. He will be up for Christmas and would like to get out a couple times. We wish me luck I still have until the 7th to get a buck on the board.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me be the first on our team to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the new year. Good luck to all of you still out there hunting Tho it seems most have called it quits or their season has come to an end too early. I still plan on getting out a few more times before my season ends on Jan 15. My best buck so far was killed on Jan. 2, 2000. He scored 165 gross and netted 155.They are out there, they just don't make many mistakes. I also harvested a doe last year on News years day. The late season has been good to me and I usually have the woods all to myself.

Here is a picture of my 2000 buck.

Old 12-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10- Team "10 POINT" Offical Thread

We seem to have lost Campo as a team member. I see he has changed his AVATAR. Must have been the comments I made about his beloved Mets when the Cardinals put them out of the playoffs. I was only having a little fun with it. He must be the sensitive type. HA HA HA!!!!!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Going out this week with my muzzleloader. Just trying to get some meat now.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Hope everyone had a good Christmas. Iwas able to finally see some action in the woods this pastweekend. On Christmas eve morning I was able to get a dandy 9 point with a real heavey base and a split brow tine to stand about 40 yards broadside. To far for me. I am a 30 or closer kind of guy.I then had this samebuck come by a different standyesterday morning (tuesday). He was about15 yards to my right, I waited with my bow drawn for him to move another five steps for a clear shot and he layed down. I looked at this deer for 45 mins just laying there and I couldn't shoot him. He got upwhen a 6 point came cruising through but he went deadaway so I had no shot. I sawthe 9 point again lastevening but he didn't offer aanything closer then a 50 yard shot.We will try againthis week a fewtimes as the weather is starting to turn a little colder.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went out last night. The wind was bad for sitting where I wanted, on a trail leading to a wheat field. So I went to a stand I had hung earlier in the season. Saw no deer, but the coyotes lit up about dark. Sounded like they must have jumped a rabbit or something. I am going to try again tomorrow evening. I got a doe last year on New Years Day.

Happy New Year to TEAM TEN POINT!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made it out again yesterday but had no luck. Some young bucks passed by around 35 yards but neither were legal in my area. Saw a nice fat doe but never got in bow range. It's been an odd year. Temps here have been unseasonably warm. We averaged almost 50 degrees for the whole month. Our warmest day was 70 degrees and our average low was only 30. On top of that we're 10+ inches below our average snowfall for this time of year. Just seems that the unusual deer activity coincides with this warmer weather. Still have some time left in our extended season but my wife is delivering our baby on Friday unless he decides to come on his own before then.

Good luck to everyone still out there!

Quick Reply: 10- Team "10 POINT" Offical Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.