Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread >

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

MO, that's a huge deer, congrats, looks like one of mine...lol

Talk about mass too on the bases, how old?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Rob,From the looks of the teeth he's 4 1/2. Normally I wouldn't even shoot a deer like that but I thought I should atleast do something for our team. I think trophy hunting has taken alot of the fun away from my hunting expierence. I'm going to do some serious thinking over the off season on the issue. Do you know what I mean? I let several 130 to 140 class bucks walk because I was wanting that huge Ten that I have been seeing. It just don't seem right anymore.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes I do know what you mean but setting your sights on one particular animal is also rewarding. Knowing you could have beat those animals and I find the same satisfaction in knowing that and passing animals. I commend you on being a team player and that particular buck, a 4.5 year old is nothing to sneeze at, a mature whitetail regardless of antler make up, you done good.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Motown

Man he is a pig!! Unbelievable how much he lostto his rackfrom fighting since he is a heavy racked buck. He should have easily been a 135 - 140 class buck before fighting. Probably more then that!!

In regards to your comments ontrophy hunting. It is flustrating putting in the time, effort and passing many good bucks when hunting the top end bucks to one's area only to run out of time. You will sacrifice a lot since it is no easy task. Is it worth it?? To me... yes as it has made me a better hunter. Mykids will/have benefit by that where I was self taught. It gets me away from the job/bills and life's little problems that taking the first buck that comes by won't do by ending it too fast.Big buckhuntinghas it own enjoyments and benefits. So far the good out weighs the flustrations to me. Hell, once in a while I evenactually accomplish the goal. Most times not!! Sometimes I cheat and pick up the rifle only to kill it in bow range in the end.

I've got the greatest respect for you as I think you are one of the top notch hunters on the forum. You can and have gotten it done. This buck is no slouch... busted rack or not.If you back off from going justafter the top end buck in your area to get the most enjoyment out of your hunting... great!! Heck they still will be big pigs!!

Congrats on your BEAST!! Hope you didn't have to drag him far!!

Tim

Old 11-27-2006, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mowtown Congrats on a fine buck maby not the one you were holding out for but still a brute!
Normally I wouldn't even shoot a deer like that but I thought I should atleast do something for our team. I think trophy hunting has taken alot of the fun away from my hunting expierence. I'm going to do some serious thinking over the off season on the issue.
As far as you questioning yourself about holding out for one buck or another only you can awnser that? But i will say thanks! for helping out the team when you could have simply just let him walk on by.
Hay as long as your having fun thats what count`s shoot what makes you happy.Again congrats.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

[8D]Chris [8D]

Hey man any buck with a bow Chris is an accomplismentand when asking about if it's taking the fun out of the hunt by shooting something smaller[:@]. Not at allIt's Like TJK says and probably why most hunters bow hunt. For the elament and the challenge and time spent alone to make the mind think. The time from the cityit's all a benifit of bow hunting. Plus the buck you got is a great buck in any woods,my hats of to you my friend and it's been a blessing getting to know you and talk to you.
Also when you think of it, things like this can happpento you as it happened to me this year. I'd been chasing and had a buck patterned this year that would have been over 200 as I have his last 2 years of drops. Well last week before I tripped and sprained my ankle and knee, the poachers I found on my property had shot him that afternoon and lost him in our woods.My hunter friend and I were within 50 yards on each side of him at the time of the shot.
Within minutes the hunters crossed the fence and under my stand with out even knowing I was there[>:]As they couldn't find him and were leaving under my stand again I scared the crap out of them by making myself heard. They promised to not come back and offered what ever to keep it quiet so I said yes and their off the ajoining property now.I searched for 2 days for him and didn't find him. I heard the hunter say he gut shot him but there was no blood. I'm hoping he asumed he hit him and my time spent on this quality buck will not be in vain[:'(].Then the next day a huge buck had his head cut off at the intersection where I hunt ,LMAO When does it stop. Maybe I'll catch him back out grazing in the spring.[:-]
Who said bowhunting wasn't fun[].Hope to keep in touch with the contest Chris and God Bless.
Rocky
Old 11-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys for all the kind responses. You guys are a class act for sure and thats why I love this site. Good luck to all of you friends. Chris
Old 11-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mo,

Congrats bud on your last day kill.... singling out an old wise one often teaches us more than we know, I am sure your aware of that.....keep after em bud, your contributions here are well respected. I read your post about trophy hunting....you did what you could this year. Get after him next year, hope he makes your gun season if he doesn't find another to pursue and shoot one in the end no matter what that makes you happy.

Troy
Old 11-28-2006, 04:44 PM

Great job Chris!

I didn't see any deer again this past weekend. It sure is hard to stay confident when you don't see ANY deer. However, I had only two chances to hunt by myself during my last trip. I sat Friday eveningin my wife's area, looking for that nice buck that I got a pic of, then Saturday morning I sat one of my stands that I haven't sat in while. Saturday evening, I took my son to his stand to try again at his first deer. About 5:05 pm my wife shot a doe from her stand so we left to go help her before it got too dark. That night my boy said, "Dad, I want to get up early and go hunting again. I want to get there when it's still dark!" I told him I'd wake him up early and we'd go. We went out and had a greathunt(I'll make post in the DeerHunting forum), but came back empty handed. I'll be back at it this weekend.

Good luck fellas,
Waid

Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 PM

Good job!

All I got on Sunday was a cold[]
3 weeks before I can get back out bowhunting now.
My next chance is the day before Christmas so I won't be able to hunt all day.
I'll go out in the morning and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.