Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread >

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 23- Team Official Thread

Congradulations man. A future hunter. I'll be out all weekend so hopefully a big boy will walk by. Hope all you men have great luck this weekend also. Chris
Old 10-06-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mnhuntr_82

I HAVE A SON!!! he was born tuesday evening and is healthy as can be. i have never been so excited and happy in my life. my wife is also doing great and we are so happy!! i feel like the luckiest guy in the world. it was unbelievable to watch him be born,you sure cant explain it.

i havent been out in the tree for awhile now and i probably wont be for a few more days. how has everyone else been doing??
good luck team.
Congrats Man! That's awesome!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, I got to make it out hunting yesterday. Typically I work 8-5, but after watching the weather Wed. night, I decided that I would go in at 6:00AM and skip lunch so i could get out of work at 2:00PM and be home by 3:00. After my scent free ritual, short drive, and a pretty good trek back to one of my stands, i was set up by 4:45 for a good couple hours of hunting. Weather was about 50 degrees, with North/Northeast winds at about 5mph. Perfect for a stand that I love to hunt.

As soon as i got up the tree with my climber, a few loud snorts came from across the creek that I was hunting near. I was amazed. Was this the first time I got busted going into that stand? As the snorts were a good 70 yards away, I pulled my bow up and settled in to see what would happen. The deer was still snorting. Soon I heard footsteps in the leaves near the creek. The snorts persisted, but the deer never moved.. So the footsteps were coming from something else. As they got closer, I could see that there were two large fox working their way up the creekbed. As soon as they passed, i heard more footsteps. this time they were crossing the creek and heading up behind my stand. A doe and her really young fawn (still had spots) walked 10 yards behind the stand. The doe must have been snorting at the fox as she had no idea I was even there. I let her pass, considering how young the fawn was. Its late in the year, that little one will be lucky to make the winter.

About an hour later, more footsteps crossing the creek. Another doe came up behind me, but kept out about 30 yards. No shot. 10 minutes after that, a little bity spike crossed the creek about 50yds in front of me and worked his way up the hill.

Soon it started getting darker and harder to see. I hear a stick break down wind of me. Look that way and there is a buck walking the quad trail i used to walk in on. The beams were huge, but as he worked his way toward my shooting lane, I could only pick out 3 points per side.. (Must have 4 points on one side to be legal in the WMU that I live in). He followed the trail and took the bend that led straight past my stand. He made it 10 yds away and I heard footsteps across the creek in front of me. A doe followed the same path of the small spike earlier. The big 6 point turned broadside and gave me a really clear look at him. I still couldn't put a 4th point on a side, but the deer was huge, broadside, and not paying attention. Talk about a bummer. That has to be one of the largest 6 points i have ever seen. I'm estimating about 16 to 17 in inside spread with long g2's and decent g3's, but no brow tines.

He stayed broadside to me, for about a minute or two watching the doe walk up the hill before he wondered off in to the dark woods. About 45 minutes later, I climbed down, packed my stand up and started my walk out.

What an exciting hunt. I just hope his big brother is in there with him somewhere.... We'll just have to wait and see.

Catch you guys later.

Somebody please put some numbers up on the board.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Hey PA

Sounds like you have a great location their with the creek and all. I love a creek crossing, it seems to be always a great spot during the warmth of the day and morning's and evening when they come for a drink before they go to the fields or back to their bedding area's. Make's the night go by fast when things are happening as you hadhuh! Keep pluggin away bud ,I'm sure a shooter will apear sooner or later. By the way what is your real name??? Mine's Rocky.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great hunt. I went after work tonight and had a nice 8 pointer come in. Looke to be a 140 class. I passed and watched him for probably 30 minutes before he meandered off. I took several pics but for some reason they didn't turn out on my digital camera. Everything else that I took pics of this afternoon turned out but not the buck. [:@][:@] Oh well I have him logged in my memory bank. I have to race tomorrow but i will be back out sunday. Good luck hunting this weekend guys. Chris
Old 10-07-2006, 01:24 AM

CONGRATS on the new lil bowhunter Joel!!!! That is awesome!

Well guys, I went to my lease again and again saw nada, nothin, zilch, zero deer. I know I've only had 4 chances to sit in the stand so far, but I'm startin to have flashbacks to "last season". I realize that it is still extremely early in the season, but I expected to at least "see" a deer. Hell, even the trail where I placed my setup is drying up. No pics on my trail cam either. I'm beginning toquestion every move I make now.

My next time out, I'll be lookin hard at another area I've picked.

Good luck all!

Waid
Old 10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Typical Buck

Wade

Hang in there bud, give it a chance , But don't be wasting to much time in the area,specially if your camera isin't picking up any movement ,but then again it can be a buck magnet come the rut.
I was out tonight in 25 mile an hour winds in a remote new location but to no avail too[:'(]. Happens Wade,man I thought this was a no brainer location,chit happens and we deal with it. We just need to have the knowledge on how long to deal with it. I have no doubt in my mind this stand will produce come the rut,question is do you??? You need to know what the area looked like during the rut last year Wade and has the feed changed in the area since then too!! I'll be out in the am this Monday for my next vigil on stand.
Question,,, I noticed a fella in the forums on a team has shot a deer and registered it with a crossbow, is this leagal for this contest??? Should be a different catagory I would think,up here you can only hunt with a crossbow when rifle season is in.
Good luck to you's who can hunt on Sundays.
Rocky
Old 10-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys i finally got back out in the woods. i even saw some deer while sitting in my stand. i had probably a 130-140 inch buck at about thirty-five to forty yards, but i had a couple of twigs and leaves that were in my way. man was i ever bummed out, that is the biggest deer that i have seen while bowhunting and he was so close. he had no idea i was there so i still have a chance with him.

im going out the next couple of nights to hopefully. good luck guys talk to ya soon.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys i finally got back out in the woods. i even saw some deer while sitting in my stand. i had probably a 130-140 inch buck at about thirty-five to forty yards, but i had a couple of twigs and leaves that were in my way. man was i ever bummed out, that is the biggest deer that i have seen while bowhunting and he was so close. he had no idea i was there so i still have a chance with him.

im going out the next couple of nights to hopefully. good luck guys talk to ya soon.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Joel
Hang in there Joel,sounds like you have this spot all sewed up,now you just have to be careful not to contaminate it to much with your scent by being in it to much. Good luck on getting your buck of a lifetime .He'll make his mistake hopefully before you do[X(].
I was out again in a another new location last night that I have high hopes for[:'(]never saw a thing but tons of noisey squirrles. Leaves are all off and now the cold front is coming in tonight. Going down to minus 9 tonight and for the next few days we can rely on the cold getting the animals up and about. Hopefuly we getsnow early this year.it's been a few years since we had snow. Last year we had a green Christmas. Actually they were calling for inter mittent snow and rain today. Hang in there guys.
I find the next week and a 1/2 very slow in terms of seeing deer,the bucks tend to be laying down there scrapes in these few weeks and like to be in the dark during doing it.[:@]. So for me seeing is being in the right place at the right time,hopefully I can connect sooner than later.The full moon doesn't help either.
So find where their old scrape lines were in years past and get in their,who knows maybe you'll get that wall hanger of a lifetime.Go team Go[8D]
Youngfart

Quick Reply: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.