Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread >

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 23- Team Official Thread

Joel
I know this my sound stupid but your spot on the ridge sounds like a killer come rut time. For that matterif there well used trails it could be just a honey hole. I have such a spot that I know I can sit and sure enough a buck will use it.
Bucks during the rut will use the ridge to their advantage ,IE rising air currants and also for visual .They can smell a doe in heat from being up higher and also can make eye contact by being up higher.
The thing about few shooting lanes canalso work in your favor as the less a deer can see you the better your chances of not getting seen while you make your draw.
The thing that itrigues me most about the location is the trail up and over the top of the ridge,is the trail below the ridge on a west facing? If so then this could be an entry to a bedding area for a buck,specially whenyou say it's so over grown.
Wait for the right wind and sneak in their during an evening hunt and check it out.Take care and God Bless.
PS letme know when you've sat in this stand and made up your opinion on it. Sounds sweet to me.
Rocky
Old 09-10-2006, 07:47 PM

Yeah I noticed ole B&C with our avatar. Speakin of which, Youngfart, ya can't getthe logo to work yet eh?

"The thing that itrigues me most about the location is the trail up and over the top of the ridge,is the trail below the ridge on a west facing? If so then this could be an entry to a bedding area for a buck,specially whenyou say it's so over grown.
"
Also youngfart, just wondering why it would matter what direction the "ridge with the trail below" is facing? I'm still learning, so I'm not questioning in doubt, I'm questioning to learn why. The spot I was talkin about is also in a very similar situation.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

hey rocky. the trail comes up one side of the ridge and then runs the ridge for a bit and then trails off the side of it. it should be a pretty interesting spot, cant wait to sit there. i will probably wait to sit there until the rut or atleast not for awhile anyway. the only other thing is that the trail that runs the ridge leads to an alfalfa field which is about a quarter mile away. that is kind of the reason why i would like to sit there right away.

it is raining here now, which is good to get rid of the scent that was there.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Wade
If the ridge is a west facing hillside ,it would mean it's the side facing the sun and that would be better for bedding as it is facing the sun,then for the trail leading up and over the ridge would be an escape route or a route to feeding groundsand also the sun would not be in their eyes as their walking up the hillside. Hope this helps you Wade . Good luck figuring your site out .Leave the father -in-law behind next time while scouting[:@]. J/k
Rocky
Old 09-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Joel
As for the avatar ,I had Dave AKA Bolstry to get iton for me be he couldn't and neither could Rob Pa Brower from the forums.For some reason it won't allow it.Oh well. Dave is a computer wiz too[:'(]
Rocky[:@]

Old 09-10-2006, 08:28 PM

Thanks and I will.

I'm absolutely goin nuts here at work. I've got all my new gear and camo up here with me so I can play with them. I'm even wearin my newboots tryin to break'em in a little. I shot some more this morning and the tricks are still flyin true.

Waid
Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys I Don`t have much time to typeBUT IDREW BLOOD OPENING DAY ona good size doe saturday morning 7.19am freezer meatMY SEASON HAS STARTED!Ihad not been on the stand no more than 10min when I heard something moving around in the leaves? I couldn`t hardly see in the woods it was still kinda dark, When I seen her she was already 15 yrds from my stand how she got that close without me seeing her, bets me?
She new there was something not right.
As she turned to walk away I reached for my bow and as turned to the left she walked behind a good size oak tree All in one motion I stood and drew.
I made a soft noise to stop her from walking.
When she stopped I settled my pin just behind her left shoulder and let it fly.
She only ran about 15-20yrds and pilled up.
Was it hot? Not to bad first thing but after about 10am o-yes
I always take a doe or two before The bucks really start moving good
With any luck come oct-nov I`ll tag a buck but you never know it might come sooner
Good luckTeam-23..rta47..terry
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Terry
Hats of to ya man,congrats on the doe [8D], I do the same thing I usually take one for myself and donate the other to the food bank. Hopefully I get my elk and then I can donate both doe's to the food bank.Great to get the meat on the table though Huh!Talk to you later bud .
Rocky
Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Great job RTA!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM

Good deal there RTA!!

Congrats. Way to give her the shaft.

I like your idea of donating a doe or two there youngfart.

I am thinking about doing the same. Hopefully I can take a few does this season, keep one for myself and the rest will be donated.

I like it because I am helping out needy families and working on keeping my buck to doe ratio in check.

My dad doesn't always agree with me about taking out more does than bucks in a given year but I really feel you are doing yourself a favor by taking outa few does each year.

I luckily got a good size freezer this year from my wife's grandmother. It is sitting in the garage and will be full of deer meat this winter hopefully.

Anyways, hope things are going well for the rest of the team.

Can't wait to hear more stories come in as success breeds success!!

Bols

Quick Reply: 23- Team "Antler Mafia" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.