Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 11- Team "Pope and Young Posse" Official Thread >

11- Team "Pope and Young Posse" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

11- Team "Pope and Young Posse" Official Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 11- Team Official Thread

Are we allowed to have sig pics this year? I thought we had to make them our avatars due to bandwith.

Anywho, our opener is sept 31 I think, but I likely wont hunt until it cools off a bit and the deer begin moving.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:24 PM

Hey fellas, been out of pocket for a few days but here I am to check in. I'm 36, live up (or for some of you, down) in the Texas Panhandle. We got alot of good deer around here. Season here starts a little earlier this year, maybe Spet. 28th or so, gotta check again. Been busy the last few days planting food plots, setting stands, and finishing up my first homebrew trailcam, blah, blah, blah.

Shoot a 2005 Bowtech Tomkat, 60#, 28.5" draw, 100 grain Stinger Buzzcuts on CX arrows. Been keeping tuned up in the off season hunting turkeys last spring and hogs since then, but starting to get the fever. You know it's close when dove season opens, and that is next weekend. Gotta go now, will post up more tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great name guys, now let's see how many of ya live up to it this year.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Opening day bow season for Kentucky is September 2nd. I'll be out there with my son and buddy waiting to thump Mr. Pope and Young. He's there...

You sure sound busy Critr-Gitr I'm sure the fruits of your labor will pay dividens!
Old 08-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Here'smy young-un helping me get "our" little secret spot in the woods ready for planting last week before the rains. Plot was coming up real nice when I was out there yesterday.

I was out there to put up my first homebrew trailcam, I will post a pic of it later. It is an Olypus D-380 run by a Yeticam board, it will slam a pic in about one second or so in fast refresh mode.

I'll be using it to see if that 8 pointer I let walk last year is still hanging around out there in the woods. Our little spot in the woods is just a couple acre funnel of mature trees between bedding areas and irrigated peanuts. Worked real well last year.

My other place I hunt is 300 acres of brush and CRP, there are sure some good deer over there, only problem is that this year I'm going to have to share it with some quail hunters, and I don't know how that is going to work out.[:@] The landowner got remarried, and her new husband (and his buddies) want to quail hunt it. Good news is that I have nearly a month of bow season before quail starts. Bad news is that the rut kicks in about 3 weeks after quail and rifle season starts. It doesn't matter I guess, you play what you are dealt. I usually have some other opportunities during season as well, so who knows.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:30 AM

Here is one of my stands, a 23' homemade ladder overlooking my food plot. I call this one the Hilton, because it is so comfy. It has bow holder, armrests, and a tray on the side to hold rangefinder, etc. Shot a doe out of it last year, but it has been moved since then.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

You'll get a nosebleed being that high!
Old 08-25-2006, 12:29 PM

It was 13' last year, and that wasn't high enough, so I put 10' extensions on it that are removable. It's also made out of 1.5" tubing so its plenty stout, even though kind of heavy to move.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:03 PM

My season starts on Sept 30.........have been seeing some nice buck........have about 5 or 6 different sets of tree stands (or more) so I am ready for the season to start.

Old 08-26-2006, 07:13 PM

I checked my calendar and ours is Sept. 30th also, which I believe makes 35 days and counting...

Going to the woods tomorrow to check the trial run of the yeticam and see how the plots are doing, they go another inch of rain last night.

Quick Reply: 11- Team "Pope and Young Posse" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.