Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 22- Team "Mud, Blood and Tears" Official Thread >

22- Team "Mud, Blood and Tears" Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

22- Team "Mud, Blood and Tears" Official Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:28 PM

Default RE: 22- Team "Mud, Blood and Tears" Official Thread

Hey, don't let him fool you........ I dragged it most of the way.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lol.. I admit,, he did drag it 90% of the way..

Here he is...

Well, it was Oct 11. It was cold, windy (WNW wind) and SNOWING. A low pressure front had moved in the previous day and brought along with it cold arctic air from Canada. I woke up that morning for work with about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground and had already planned of going hunting after work. I had hunted the previous night knowing the storm was coming and thought for sure the deer would move, but I saw nada. Work was over and I headed home to gather all of my hunting gear and take a shower. I saw 8 does and one Spike and the ride home and NEW they would be feeding and moving all afternoon and the rest of the evening. I needed to get to my stand ASAP.
I got to my stand and was all situated by 3:30 and the ground and trees were covered with snow and I was loving it, well for hunting anyways, otherwise the white stuff can go. The wind was perfect for my stand location and I sat with anticipation of the BIG ONE strolling in. An hour had passed and I hadn’t seen anything yet. I was sending my wife a text message from my cell phone when I looked up and saw a spike horn making his way in. Then another buck and another buck. And then One more.. Before I knew, it I had 4 bucks at my stand. Two spikes, a forkie, and a 5 pointer. After a couple minutes, 3 of them took off and then came back 20 minutes later. Then about an hour later or so, the 7 point I shot came trotting in. Then one of the smaller bucks spooked and they all took off. Ask me if I was upset? 20 minutes later they all came back along with 2 does. The 7 pointer, walked in and gave me a slight quartering away shot and I took it. I saw the fletching go through the deer and immediately thought, I hit way too high. The snow was falling hard and I knew I had to get down NOW and find my arrow and get on his track or he’d be gone forever. I found my arrow, full of blood and blood sprayed on a tree behind where he was standing. I started to follow his track and it got weaker and weaker and eventually the snow had covered up just about all the existing tracks. I couldn’t find any blood or anything. I thought, he’s gone, I hit him above the spine. I got out of there because my dad was waiting for me in the truck and my mom had both kids.
I got to my mom’s house and convinced her to let me go look for the buck for one more hour. I said, if I don’t go look now, I’ll never find him in the morning under a foot or so of snow, so they were predicting anyways. I went back and went to where I had last been and started looking with a better flashlight. I found a spot where It looked like he had made jump and when I went over there I saw my tracks from earlier and thought, "Damn it", I was already here, but I went and looked anyways. Sure enough, I saw two little specks of blood on some snow that was laying on a dead tree that was leaning over. I took 5 more steps forward and there he was!!! I couldn’t believe it, I was 15 yrds from him earlier. I was so happy. The arrow ended up hitting just below the spine and exiting right behind his shoulder. I’m so glad I went back and looked that night. I went back to my moms to get my 6 yr old so he cold come find the deer and watch the gut job. He had another lesson on deer anatomy. I had also called my buddy to help drag. That’s pretty much the story. I hope you enjoyed and don’t mind any of the grammar and spelling.. Lol

Old 10-15-2006, 05:35 AM
Fork Horn

hey nice buck and good job! thats alot of snow you can keep it up north please. well you broke the ice so its the rest of our turns to get some horn,so go get'um guys.
TEDROW
Old 10-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its been hot again,2 days the rains have strangled most every frog around. Winds from the south and se at 35-40 mph. I ain't hunting in that and all my stands r setup fer sw-w-nw-and n or they can smell entering the woods![&o]
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

hey guys the weather has been awful figures when i have days off work! well im going to try it in the morning been seeing some nice ones the last four days. my buddie is a farmer and he said he seen two nice bucks friday night within 400 yds from my stand so i will see what happens. ttyl.
TEDROW
Old 10-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

Great buck Mathewsboy. Great story too. Love that snow, I can't wait to get some here. This will get the ball rolling. Good luck team!
Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM

Hello guy's I am back from Oklahoma, Thanks for the prayers my Dad is doing better. I my make it to the woods Sat. nice buck mathewsboy we scored great good job. Time for the rest of us to step up hehehehe. bigdaddy
Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Here is my entry, I'll get it scored and officially entered later on. Nine point, 220# on the hoof, 170# field dressed.

He'll taste just fine!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a very nice Buck. Thats couple of them fer the team, both nice ones. I saw 2 Doe's this morning, they were abit over 30 yds.. They were in a place where too many limbs were in the way fer a clean killing shot. Need some freezer meat soon.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:29 PM

Good job Stumpj nice looking buck, you don't look to excited in your picture ? hahaha. tell us the story on your hunt you know some details. I can smell the back straps cooking on the grill.hehe bigdaddy

Quick Reply: 22- Team "Mud, Blood and Tears" Official Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.