Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

I think my Dad and I might be going out to Nebraska this spring to do some spring hunting.. That is if I can get away for 3-5 days. That will be snow I think but I can't remember for sure.. We can generally hunt geese on our own place in the fall... We had hundreds come in every day this year and every year we are getting more and more.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have snow geese here by the hundreds of thousands. Almost makes me want to get my stamps and go again....almost lol.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:47 PM

Yeh Fran...what's this about lots of deer but rarely anything really big? There will definitely be some dibs on that area this fall!!!

Has anyone talked to the "Mods" about our team being able to stick together for another year? After us being together for two years, it just wouldn't be the same on another team that only posts 10 to 20 pages all season. Oh well, I guess it's in their hands now. Maybe we should just suggest that the top three teams each year get to stay together the following year?
Old 01-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think we should do like nascar and have a champions provisional. We are allowed to stay together indefinitely.

Well guys since the aerial photo thing is the big kick right now, here's a pic of the place I just got access to. I have yet to set foot on it. What do you think?

About the only thing I can offer about it, is that where those finger/island is is SOOO thick looking from the road. And its a big hollow going from the houses down thru the woods.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ryan, that place looks awesome - I like those isolated field corners. I'm a field corner kinda guy - mostly due to getting into the woodsso late every evening.

Hey, how did you get an image of that yahoo map to edit? I've been trying to figure out how to draw on those things, but I'm too cpu illiterate. PM me a how-to when u get a chance.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Canadian geese here. I have not seen a snow goose.
I have not said anything about keeping our team together.
I should have my score on my buck on Tues.

That property looks great.
Buck rub too.

Talk to you all later
Mark
Old 01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bob, thanks for the kind words. These guys hunted their tails off this year again.

Fran, well its still cold here, its moving east isnt it??? Suppose to be near 0 lows all week again here and mid teens to 20's for highs.

IL well good luck to you on your trip to Neb if you make it out there. I'd love to whitetail hunt their someday.

Ryan, I pm'd ya. last night.

The geese must be south, I haven't seen any or noticed anysince late Dec. We do have a lot of wintering bald eagles showing up. Lots of people out taking photos and filming them.

I had a very enjoyeable day of scouting yesterday. It was cold but clear. I used my snowmobile to run a lot of countrychecking deer traveling routes too and from bedding to feed. Located heavilyusedfood sources and then hiked about 4 hours up through a deep snow packed north into a light snow covered south. The southwas literally packed withdeer sign and I bumped several. This time of the yearI dont mind bumping them. I took a lot of photos and got about 30 minutes of footage shot with the video camera.. It turned out nice. I spent the majority of my time backtracking deer, seeking out bedding areas and looking for sheds. I didnt find any sheds but its early. Located over 20 beds and two of which were definately buck beds. Size, loan tracks and rub littered. I got into a couple and couldnt believe I didnt see a shed in there. Anyway, I really enjoyed the day on the mountain. The area I hunt is about 1000 acres. It usually takes me about 3-5 years to really get a new area in this country thoroughly scouted enough that I have a solid grip on what the deer do in association with season feeding patterns and snow levels/conditions.

Well guys, have a good week I hope to get back out scouting again next weekend. I'll ask Rob about the team thing.

Good football to watch as well this weekend... Go ..Saints !
Old 01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Guys - sorry I have been somewhat scarce - been trying to get on frequently and read (and if you look at my post count will know that is what I typically do) just don't have much time to reply - since it seems to take me too long to do that.

Troy - I bet the mountains are even more breath taking covered with snow (seems hard to believe that they could be though) - best of luck scouting the new area. Also if you think it would help - maybe we could all start PM'ing Rob - if nothing else he may give in after the first thousand or so!!

Anthony - sorry to hear about the back - congrats on the doe! - best of luck on a speedy recovery (and hopefully pain free as possible).

Fran - that sounds like about as perfect of a deer camp as it would get - I would love to go - especially if we could get the whole gang together - will note it for discussion with the boss in a few months (maybe bring it up this summer she should be feeling better then) -that was a big ole rub!

A/R congratson the goose -I have not shot a Canada - have hammered the snows a couple of years ago which was a blast. andquite a few different ducks,but have spent countless days freezing in a blind dark till dark - withoutpulling atrigger(or seeing alegal bird within 500 yards for that matter).One gets to learn a great deal about those you are with on those days!

Take care everyone! - Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM

The Doe was a moment for me.. That is for sure, first archery deer, I think that is why the shoulder didn't bug me till morning,lol... Camera, for some reason, I couldn't get the darn pictures to come off of it.. Kind of a bummer.. Something wrong with the camera and deer is, uhm, processed now.

We shall see about Nebraska.. Family owns farms out near Shennedoah, Iowa so it is right across the border... If dad goes when i can go I will go.. If not, I will stay home and sulk, lol.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan, ok finally here at home I can see that photo you put up of the property. Man that looks nice. I'm gonna take a gander at it in more depth here in second after, get these photos posted.

Here's a few photos from the other day.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.