Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Hey guys, just checking in. I have been reading, just not posting. Everything is well here, skunked on the duck and goose twice now, but its getting addicting. I make it a quest to be good at what I do and this is looking like I have alot of learning to do.

Hope everyone is doing well, good luck on them bucks guys.
Mark
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey all. I spent most of the weekend hunting with the shotgun. I saw a few monsters, but all were out of range and running mach 3. I did record a kill Saturday evening. I got mythird skunk of the year....thats right folks, I have now killed more skunks than deer this season. [&:]I may change my name to skunkmaster. Muzzleloader season opens Friday for me...maybe my last chance at the 10pt thats been giving me ulcers.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dave - did you get that skunk cooked up yet buddy? I hear they're really good in stew with carrots and celery.

Troy - So, have you been able to isolate any of the big boys in the snow yet?

BD - keep after it man, sooner or later, you're bound to have an opportunity.

William - haven't heard from you in a while - how's everything looking for the holidays? How old is your little girl now?

Anthony - are you still alive out there?

Rybo - I looked at some of those threads on the huntingpa forums. Those guys are idiots. You might be joining me as one of the most hated guys on their board. Ha Ha. I don't hold back anymore.

So have you guys finished xmas shopping yet? The wife wants a dog,so I'm dodging bullets on that front. She got one of her xmas presents early yesterday - we went to see Mamma Mia, b/c the broadway production was in town. Lots of Abba music and hot chicks in spandex/swimsuits, so it wasn't a bad experience.

Also, if you haven't seen the new 007 movie yet, I would recommend it. Not the greatest movie, but there's this dark-haired chick in the movie (the villain's girlfriend)who is well worth the price of admission. Holy Moly. I thought the wife was gonna have to break out the smelling salts to get me out of there.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:28 AM

I wrote a post yesterday and the compouter died when I went to answer the phone. Went something like this
Shotgun season came and went and I am still seeing deer so either the 12 inches of snow on Thursday night (18 a bit further east) kept the deer down for some of the 4 days season or kept some of the fair weather hunters away or people were too bsusy snow mobiling... Haven't given up and the snow showed me something I was missing so I need to change locations, not a huge problem but a small one neverthe less. Going to be COLD all week here until this weekends muzzle loader and than 1 straight month of bow until the season ends. I haven't given up, as one can see pretty plainly, all it takes is for that buck to take the left fork in a trail instead of the right fork.

Good luck all, I''ll try to keep up but between replacing hydolic hoses, coolant resvoirs and the like I am swamped but have still managed to get out a couple times a week to hun.. The only bucks that have dropped by in shooting range were not what I am looking for.. NOt lookg for huge but lookign for something beyond spikes and forks.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey man, good to hear from you. Glad you've been able to find time to get out b/c it seems like the cold weather really takes a toll on machinery. Also, there's no shame in a spike/forkie for your first archery buck. My first was a tiny pencil spike that probably didn't gross 20". So, if you see that forkhorn again, drop the hammer b/c we need the points! Have you been using the ground blind at all?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday I found the big 4x4 that occasionally works in behind my place. He made the rifle season! He is a buck that will be very hard to pass this late archery. I would estimate him at a 125 inch gross 4x4 or possibly 130 max. He looks a lot like the buck that Millertime shot.. Pitch-fork I believe it was.

I had to do a lot of work around my place this weekend and didnt get to scout as much as I would have liked, but I did get somegood hiking in. Probably 5-6 hours of checking different areas for travel. I still need to get over into Yellers area and walk it over. I may need to be sick one day this week!

The stand that killed my last years...late season 4x4 out of is coming alive. The snow has pushed the doe familys down lower and I am getting constant travel right by it. It's set up on an inside corner. I also found a very distinct big buck track that I saw earlier this season, he is in there with the does. His track is almost elk shaped as his toes are very rounded, yet its not an elk its a deer. I also found two drops of blood in those tracks.

I am hanging a new stand up behind my neighbors this week after work or Sat morning depending. There has been a lot of activity in there, its thick and nasty but leads to his orchard. He still has apples on a couple trees. With all this snow and cold, the deer are looking for good feed.

I will keep you updated as I get back out. I will be out all weekend. Scouting/hunting Sunday the 10th

Old 12-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey guys glad to see everyone is doing well and getting out some.
I have been slacking a lot latley. I could be hunting every morning but choose to stay in the comforts of a nice warm bed. I set my alarm with the intentions of getting up but I never leave the house. Yea I'm not under any dire needs to shoot a deer, but I should still be getting out there to scout or something. feel free to call me a wussand a slacker and light a fire under me to get back out there.

Good luck all.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys how is everyone doing? Well I was out several times and still no bucks on the ground. I have been seeing a few but real small spikes fork horns and some small 6 and 8's. I did shoot another doe saturday morning. She was a nice big one and my dad wanted some meat. She field dressed at 130 lbs. I have a little break this week were thier is no hunting but I will be back out this weekend. I will not give up guys I will be out thier until the very end trying to do my part.

Quick everything is going pretty good so far for the holidays but the money is running short real quick. Carlie is 2 1/2 and is getting really excited about christmas. I love watching her eyes light up when we see the lights around town.

Ryan what a wuss get your butt up and get out and kill something. You know when the season is over you will be wishing you could still get out and hunt so you better get it in now.

I hope to put one down soon guys but I am having some tough luck. Good luck to all and be safe.

William
Old 12-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoosierand IL, good to hear you guys are still out getting after those whitetails.

Well guys we are officially into the 4th quarter here for me. Sounds like we need a few last quarter scores to get back on the top of this contest. Iknow we have it in us. We need to go down fighting like champs. I think with Hoosier, IL Big and myself stillout still bowhunting hard we have a great opportunity to kill at least 2 more of 4...minimum. I get to hunt again this weekend and will be hard after it over the entire xmasbreak.

Letsget anotheron the ground guys!

Old 12-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ryan, William's right - get off your lazy bum and start scouting. Go door-to-door and find us some new hunting spots for next year, because I need to get outta Greene County. I can't deal with that anymore. I'm getting too old and cranky.

Troy - you're right chief - we're in Q4, and it's high time team XX steps up and wins this thing. I know you're itchin' to pull the trigger. You've got deer for everyone else, now it's time to get one for yourself. Nothing much nicer than those quiet icy winter days - big blanket of snow. I checked my logs last night - it's been since 2003 since I killed a deer in the snow. It just never seems to snow here anymore in deer season. ...and by second season archery, I'm always out of tags.

William, I think it's only a matter of time before you're tagged out.Congrats on the big doe - that's a WHOPPER! I bet you're pretty amped up for christmas - Carlie is daddy's girl, I'm guessing? LOL Always seems to work out that way. She's finally entering the age where you can really start having fun with her. By the way - you can't be passing up 8 pointers this late! You just can't. It violates Team XX rules. Just kiddin man.

So are any of you guys doing anything extra special this year for xmas? Kelly and I are still paying off the wedding, so there's nothing extravagant in the works. Maybe next year we'll try to go somewhere or something. If she behaves, maybe I'll consent to the mutt.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.