Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Mike - big congrats on that buck again man. A buck-fifty-two pulls us right into striking distance.

We're two deer away from winning this contest. BD, Hoosier, Troy and IL - Who's next to cowboy up? The bucks are still hanging around the does, and it won't be long before those bucks go back to calorie-loading to replenish their fat reserves, so they should be spending a lot of time on their feet through the coming weeks. We only need two.

Ryan - sorry again about sending you on that wild goose chase to Greene County. I was thinking about that last night, and it sucks that you wound up having to put up with that kind of behavior. Every year, I lose more faith in our PA brethren. Just when you think they couldn't behave any worse, they prove you wrong.

Troy - congrats to you & yours for the success over the weekend. Good to see you guys did well.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quick,

I think I would take low density deer pops and good buck to do ratios with mature bucks roaming around versus the high doe pops and no mature bucks...did you guys have much snow?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

No snow up there Troy - way too hot. We didn't have any frost overnight, and the daytime temps were closing in on 70 degrees F. With a nice blanket of snow, we'd have seen a lot more deer, but since it was so hot and dry, you couldn't put a foot in the leaves without it sounding like the entire forest was exploding.

I like the bigger bucks and the lower populations, but it would be nice to see a few more deer, just to keep you optimistic. I think if the conditions were better, I'm sure we'd have seen more, but with that kind of heat and their winter coats, they just weren't moving on their own at all. I helped drag out a couple deer and thought I was gonna have a heat stroke. Thank god for deer carts.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fran,
Don't sweat it bud, That was far from a wild goose chase. Had I been using a rifle, I'd have gotten a doable shot at those deer once they scattered, there was just no way with a handgun. I should have one upped him and went 60 yds up the hill from where the deer came[8D], but I figured I'd see some coming from the other direction to me before him.

Good luck you guys who are still out. I have faith in all you guys.

Everyone else, hope you are enjoying your other time hunting or relaxing or what ever it is you are doing this time of year.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, not much going on for me on the hunting front. I can hunt until December 31'st, but with the holidays in there I usually dont get to hunt much if at all the last 2 weeks, so that leaves my only a couple of weeks left. I havnt seen a buck on my land since the first week of November, so I am gettiing a little frustrated. It is suppose to get real cold, and snow this week, so maybe that wilol get them on the move. 175 points, man we should be able to do that. I dont want a different team net year guys, so we have got to do this. So how long does everyone get to hunt?? Goodluck guys, that would be so kool to come from behind right at the end. Oh, by the way, thanks for all of the kind words on my sons buck, I think I am more excited aboiut it than he is.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

BD - I think everyone has until at least xmas to fill their tags. To help battle the cold, you might wanna invest in a cheap groundblind and a few cans of Sterno or one of those little portable propane jobs for heat - the double lined scentproof blinds tend to hold the heat pretty well anyway. Stick that baby right in the core feeding area and brush it in real nice. Once the gunners are done, you'd probably be okay to leave it out there so the deer get used to seeing it. Around here, once the gun pressure is off, the deer really move well in the evenings, but due to the insane amount of pressure and stress, it usually causes all the big boys to drop their headgear early.

I'll lay my reputation on it - we're gonna win this contest. I know you guys are gettin' after it. It only takes 10 seconds to turn your season and pull us within one deer of the lead. Even a 50-80" 3x3 or 4x4 will put us within striking distance, and I know Troy's got a 130+ buck in him for sure.

I've got my rally cap on.

So am I the only guy already counting down to next October?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterdays hunt report.

COLD COLD COLD... bout 16 when I headed in, dropped off to about 9 at dark.

I had a spike and doe come in with a good 30 minutes of shooting light left. They fed around in the buck brush and wild rose bushes. Nothing else showed up. I wasn't surprised seeing two 6 month olds alone. Their mommas are most likey being covered by bucks. Our rut/breeding phase is heavy right now and will tail off for the most part by the end of the first week of Dec. I have a roughly a foot of snow now in my huntingspotsand its snowing more today.

I am determined to find my old buck once he settles back in. My season takes a break from Dec 2-9... thats my prime scouting time..I will be moving some stands based on my scouting. Like I said the snow really gives these big bucks away. Of course killing them near their bed during daylight hours is a bit tougher, they don't reach 4 and older for no reason.

Good luck to the rest of my Teammates. I have till Dec 23rd to get one down. I am prepared to take it to the last days...I have been thinking about it a lot. I believe I will get a shot at one of the big boys if I continue to do my homework.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 PM

Well boys, today Muzzleloader season opened. They changed the season this year; it is actually longer than our regular firearm season. It runs from Dec 1 - 17. I am going out tomorrow morning. Last weekend, my brother-in-law and I went out with the video camera. I let him shoot a doe off my property and wow...what some great footage we got. The only problem was that he always hunts with his muzzleloader and once you pull the trigger. Well, you know, nothing but smoke. Fun hunt though. I will keep you all posted...the neighbor saw a good buck last weekend that he said would push 140 or 150 - a big 13 point. I'm sure it's the same one I saw a couple of times while scouting in late August. I would love to get a shot at him. There are a few spots on my property that I haven't hunted all year that I would love to hunt. However, I need a South wind to hunt it and as most of you know, we don't get too many South winds in Michigan this time of year. I've got seventeen days to wait for the right wind; I'm pretty sure that that's where the 13 pt is hanging out...Nobody has seen him all season since Oct 1st until this last weekend.
Can't
Old 12-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck guys.
I am getting out for a little in the morning tomorrow. I'm just doe hunting, but it gets me outside. I'd like to get at least one more doe to donate to HSH.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, hows it going? Plan on going out tomorrow afternoon, and then again Sunday. Its going to be freezing. I think they said thatTomorrows high with the windchill is going to be +5, and Sundays windchill is going to be -5 for the high. [&:]Wish I had one of those heater body suits. I went to Fleetfarm today,and stocked up on hand warmers,and foot warmers.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.