Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Updated Pic

Old 11-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now thats a good pic, button.

Congrats Quick, nice buck

OK captin!!!!! with your normal 160+ we will be just out of the lead! Not that you have to take one that big, just a heads up!!!LOL

Good luck guys

Seen that 8 again Fri. If he comes into range I am not sure I can pass on him!! He looks better and better every time I see him. I sure am jellous of the deer you guys are putting down. Thats what tells me to wait. Hard to tell what will happen! Good luck to all of you again.
Mark
Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

Sum - nice buck - congrats!! he is a beauty! Sounds like you had a great weekend of hunting action - I took G out on Saturday in the blind - will post more about that later! - it was definately memorable - and I have some great video! - I have not had him in a stand yet - he is 5 and this is his 3rd year out in a blind for deer and he has been out 2 years for turkey. (No way he could sit still enough for a stand yet).

BBM - I like that pic! that smile says it all!

Fran - I am terribly sorry to hear that. a slight twig deflection could have caused the arrow not to hit squarly and affect penetration - or as dave indicated - lodged into the shoulder etc. Best of luck in finding him, you have put out the effort in hunting him this year.

Best of luck to everyone - I am outta here till tomorrow!
Old 11-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys, I finally got a nice one!!But before you all get too excited, I got him with the shotgun.It killed me to do it with the gun, but its the biggest deer I have gooten with any kind of weapon, so I am very thankful for him. I think it might actually be the one that I missed with my bow a couple of weeks ago. Its a decent 9 point, with one of those being broke off. I am not a very good judge on score, but I am thinking 120's- 130's. He ended up going about 250 yards, and crossing a river where he died just on the bank on the other side. I hit him last night, and I left him until this morning. The landowners wife wanted to go out and look with me today, so who was I to say no.When I spotted him on the other side of the river, I said I was going back to the truck to get my rubber boots, and before I knew what was going on, she was half way across the river with just her winter boots on, and jeens. Good thing it was only a little past her knees. I told her I wish I had my camera with me.Anyways, the best news, is I gave him to the landowner, (wgom I was hunting with), and he used his tag on him, so now I still have my buck tag I can use with my bow. This is legal in Mn. as long as you are party hunting, anyone in your party can tag him. I will post some pictures when I get them off of the camera. I wish i had the extra $$$$$$, I woiuld love to have it mounted. HOpe everyone else is doing good.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

RIGHT ON! SUM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great hunt with your daughter!

You guys are stepping up big time!

With two months left for most of us, I feel very optimistic!

My weekend was unreal! No shots though...

Sat..went back after the big boy..sames spot and danged if he didnt show up almost exactly the same time...walked right around the corner and looked for me...Litterally looked for me...I held still and didnt draw...(ground blind) I thought ok you ole dawg...you wanna play this game..then here we go..So I just let him move by me..as he feverishly looked for me. Then he moved past, down over the bank and left... I figured I would let him feel safe passing by there and now move my set up at least 100 yards closer to his bed..I think I amnow within 50-75 yards of where he is coming out of a bit thick mountains side.

So I left him alone, went in Sunday and made a new ground blind. It rained like cats and dogs on me in there in the A.M. I didnt see a thing except for 4 yotes...

Sunday Evening I decided to give the big boya rest ( will hunt him Tuesday evening again in the closer set up)

So Sunday with warm weather and rain I decided to go into one of my stands that is literally set up 20 yards from a thick NASTY bedding area, deer filter out of this thing every night. Sure enough before last light..(Deer are not moving at all with this weather till close to dark) 5 deer make their way by me, one dang good buck but he's too far into the thicket for me to get a clean shot. He looked like Ryans buck.. solid 135 class buck.

I let it get dark and had to sit there for 1 hour in the dark waiting for these danged deer to move far enough and out from under my stand to climb out and leave. I had to moooo like a cow again to cover my noise..it worked sweet...

So.. This week..back after either yeller or stretch..they both are using the one area..and back after the grey buck as well.

Don't worry fellas..its only a matter of time..before an opportunity arises, I am confident of that. Hunting under the gun..doesnt bother me much this year..I justhave no interest to pack my rifle..just to kill a big one.. These days..its bout how I do it versus what I put on the wall..

Quick, keep your head up bud, this stuff happens. I shot a buck in 04...steep shot, no exit.....sucker didnt bleed much at all for the first 50 yards...only a couple tiny drops..he was dead 75 yards away... all of his blood welled up in side of him.. I'd keep looking for him if you feel in your heart you killed him..maybe go back after season as well and reallly cover that ground. As for now..hunt and look if you feel you can without messing up your hunts..

William, your gonna get one! I can feel it coming on!

Mike's gonna hammer a big IOWA bruiser...

Darren, Congrats on the shot gun buck!!!!!! looking forward to the pics!!! when do you get to get back after it?

Anthony,hope to hear from you soon, Any luck???

Fran, shake it off, move ahead, thats all you can do.

Me...I am gonna get after em even harder..you guys have been a great inspiration..I want to win this again.

Jeff, Ryan, Dave, and Mark..way to go guys! you have us in it! Now the rest of the team needs to finish this thing.....

I reallly think we can go 8-10 or better... with this muchtime left...

Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Troy, our archery season runs non stop from september thru December 31st. You can use your bow during gun season, (which I normally do ) but part of the deal with me getting to hunt out there is that I hunt the gun season with the Landowner. He used to hunt out there years ago with a couple of his friends, but they have since moved away, so he just stopped hunting becouse he didnt like to hunt by hinmself. So I hunt the 2 day gun season with him. And then next weekend there is a 4 day gun season open aroiund here, but I will be back out with my bow. And then in December the Muzzleloader season opens up for I think 3 weeks, so we have to have oiur orange on while the guns oare out. Which brings up a question, how many of you have to have on orange at any time durring the bow season? And what are your feelings aboiut bowhunting with orange on? Sometimes I feel like a big orange pumpkin sitting in my tree.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darren,

I can relate, I hunt the entire month of Oct and November with my bow these days while everyone around me is gun hunting. Ironically in Idaho...you're not required to wear orange...but almost all rifle hunters do or they wear red.

I wear an orange cap to and from stand if its during daylight. Usually I walk out well after dark and often am in stand before light so if I am moving during a rifle season during daylight hours I put the cap or stocking hat on.

Its so much different out here in regards to terrain. In this big country (out side of the rut) the smart bucks simply hide out far enough away from pressure that they don't see a lot of humans. Meaning a mile or two hike in at times. Now the young bucks or middle aged bucks..say 3.5 and younger..they still don't have this figured out all the time and of course they get blasted by gunners..Its the rut and rifle season that pulls the big bruisers out. The majority of our big bucks (unless you know his bedding area) get killed here from Nov 10th to the Dec 1 by rifle hunters...The rut and rifle season...If hunters here couldnt hunt the rut with rifles...well there would be a lot less dead mature bucks. Right now my big bucks are still holding pretty true to thier beds..but its all gonna change soon!

Its a catch 22 for me...because in all honesty the best time to hunt a particular buck like I try to do in this big woods setting......IS NOT DURING THE RUT..he could be miles away ..real soon...with that being said my favorite time to hunt bucks is in the august/september feeding phase..- the heat....and then in thelate post season..>DEC..when they go back to feeding and getting ready for winter..after the rut...I can pattern them much easier then again..with snow..and feed on thier mind....

Don't count me out guys till Dec 24th... I will find a good one to arrow.. Lord willin..

Troy
Old 11-06-2006, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the buck D. I've said it before and I'll say it again - POST PICTURES. I'm bored at work, and nothing brightens my day like seeing those smiling faces of team XX standing behind trophy whitetails. No better feeling than taking your best buck ever! Can't wait to see him.

Troy, thanks for the encouragement. I'm going in there on Sunday for an all day searchfest. If he's dead, I'll find him, b/c he should stink by then. Temps will scare 70 on both Friday and Saturday. Also, I got Friday and Saturday off work, so I'll get two dark-to-dark sits to close out my PA season. Sounds like you had a killer weekend. Things will only get better for you at this point. If I were a betting man, I'd say that either Yeller or Grey will be showing up at the pearly gates sometime in the next two weeks.

I've got a couple really good rut hunts for my last two days, and hopefully I can capitalize.

As of right now, I've seen 89 deer from the stand, with 34 buck sightings(3-4 of those were counted twice), but only three run-in's with shooters. The winds of November are swirling, and that means that love is in the air, so the big boys will be spending more time on their feet this weekend, so we're all in a really good position to burn some tags.

Anthony - we haven't heard from you in a while - by the way, that was a nice win by the Cats over Ferentz and Co. Iowa is a quality team. Good things to come for you guys at NW.

Oh, on the orange - we're required to, but only during certain seasons. I got sprayed once by a few bbs from a grouse hunter, so I've learned to tie an orange vest around the tree above me. My orange vest gets in the way of my bino's/pockets, so even though I'm required to wear it, I just tie it somewhere nearby.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our rabbit and quail season opened this weekend, between that and the rut, it really got the deer moving. I had to go to a town about 30 miles away to buy a new dryer...long story lol......I saw 11 dead deer along the interstate in about a 12 mile stretch. Several of them were missing their heads, so I am assuming bucks. I'm in the mood to bust another deer, I have 2 doe tags and one buck tag left for archery, but we can only kill 2 bucks total, so its going to have to be a big one for me to tag out before gun season next weekend.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM

een hammered with work guys... Weather finally broke and we are shipping cows, calves and baling stalks.. I am tired, cranky, greasy, covered in cow manure and dirt and my wife runs for the hills as soon as she sees me coming, lol... I am going to hunt tomorrow. And than Thursday and Friday. I am not done with stuff but the hired guy can do that stuff tomorrrow and I will do it on Wed.... I might have to bale again at a moments notice but it won't be tomorrow.... I still have 400 bales to put up of stalks that were under irrigation. It is a long day with baler breakdowns and the like... Have gotten out a couple times but the place I want to/ need to hunt is 1) still in corn and 2) the wind is wrong.. needs to be north or west and we keep getting southwest which is the worst possible place for wind.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.