Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Congrats on the great weekend Sumhunter! Nice way to spend time with the kids, and another buck for the team. Can't wait to see pics.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Well, here's the pics boys. The full one that I will enter as the official picture (bow, deer, & myself) isn't the best picture because you can really see the mass. Due to his palmation on his right side, he was basically just over four inches in circumfrance all the way out to between his G2 and G3. The property I hunt, I have never seen any palmation on any deer.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Pic 2

Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM

Pic 3 - you can see how thick he is on his right side.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a nice deer Sum, congrats.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:56 PM

It's posted on the official score card thread...The numbers are in 117 7/8!!! We're getting closer guys!!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Woo hoo, congrats Sum. Both on the buck and the great story with your daughter, that had to be wild.
We are working our way up there. Teams 12 & 17 have a lot down, but we are on our way boys.

Go XX. Good luck for the rest of you guys out there.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

WAY TO GO SUM! Two awesome days for you on the stand. Team XX isn't out yet.

Okay, you guys said it would happen, and it did. 7:30 a.m. yesterday, two smallish bucks cruising the top ridge, and eight and a seven point - I would have taken either of them if they came into range but they didn't. All was quiet.

10:30 a.m., I hear the brush crack and there he is, Mister October - AGAIN (looking quite lonely), 40-60 yards out back to my right, coming around the ridge. this time, he's using a different trail and will pass 20 yards UPHILL of me. This is a steep hillside, and even though I'm at 25 feet, he will only be maybe 10 feet below my line of sight at that range. He has the wind, a steady uphill thermal breeze. I know I've gotta try to get a shot before he gets dead downwind of me.

He takes a route that gives me a few sketchy shots, but nothing worth taking. He's moving a few yards then stopping, just cruising and smelling. He moves across directly uphill of me, and passes behind some vines (still no shot) I draw, and he has literally five more yards to go before he steps into a wide open lane, but he is dead downwind at 20 yards. I draw.

He steps into a partial opening and FREEZES. He has me. I know it. He's caught a slight whiff of something, just enough to lock him up. His front leg is behind a tree, hind quarters are behind another tree. I've got the back of the lungs, the liver and the guts on his left sidewith a few twigs and vines in the way. I hold. He stands there like a statue, just huffing the breeze. I can see him tilting his head up in the air, looking right at me, and SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHH taking huge huffs of the breeze, trying reassure himself that he's heading into a dangerous situation. Still holding, and I can't let down, because he's staring in my direction with his head in that open lane, and I'm only 10-15 feet above his sight line. I can't move.

Shoulders start quivering, back giving out. It's now or never.

I drop the 20-yard pin onto the front half of the liver, and squeeze. This time, it gets off clean.

baTHUD!

I can't see the arrow fly, but it sounds like I GOT HIM! I watch as he tucks his tail under and turns back to where he came from. He's not doing the "death run," and he's just kinda running low and trying to get away.There's no visible exit wound on his right side, no arrow hanging out either (I nevergot a look athis left side, so it may have still been in him on that side). I replay it in my mind, and it sounded like I heard the arrow smack a twig or a branch only a fraction of a second before I heard it hit the hide.

I wait a few minutes and getdown. Nothing.

No blood.

No arrow.

No hair.

No deer.

I dug through the leaves for at least an hour, looking for my arrow, just in case I missed and it slid under the leaves. Nothing. the leaves in this place must be six inches deep and it was as dry and crispy as the Sahara yesterday. I know the difference in sound between a hide hit and an arrow crashing into the leaves. This sounded like a hit for sure. My arrow is not there.

I saw him run maybe 30 yards before he rounded the bank. I know the exact spot that he crossed - no blood.

Once he clears the bank, there's maybe 75 yards of open woods, then it breaks into a thicket on all three sides. I scoured the edge of that thicket looking for a blood trail. Nothing. I didn't want to get too carried away in there just in case he was gut-hit and I didn't want to bump him up.

For reassurance, I even took my bow to the shop when I went out for lunch yesterday. I nocked a broadhead and took aim on the 20-yard target. Bullseye.

My plan is to hunt in there on Monday, but be further around the ridge where I can see into the thickets. I'm going to watch for crows/buzzards/dogs/coons or anything that would indicate that there may be a carcass around. I want to find this deer bad, but I don't want to waste my time looking for a buck that I might well have missed.

I shoot 77 pounds and a heavy arrow, so I can blaze it through some junk without it being knocked off course easily. Problem is, if I had a straight broadside rib or gut hit, I should've blown right through. I could see the back of his front leg, so I could have placed that arrow far enough forward that it stuck in the far shoulder, and kept it from clearing through the opposite side. Could he have held his blood that long? I don't know.

What do you guys think?

Looking back, I probably should've let down, but he would have certainly busted me and it would've been over. I'm completely and totally depressed.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran,
Thats a tough call, sounds like you hit him, maybe high or angled in and stuck in the other shoulder blade. I would get out there today if you can and scour the area.....he may be laid up in the thick stuff. Sorry to hear about that, but i wish you the best in finding him, I know hoe much time and effort you have put into this season.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

Sum congrats on the great weekend of hunting, it souds like itcouldn't have gone any better. I can't wait to take my little gir;l out hunting. She is only 2 so it will be a couple years still.

Quick man that is horrible. I feal so bad for you. I hope that it was a clean miss, he is dead and you find him, or if you hit him and don,t find him he survies and gives you another shot. You deserve that buck. I hope it all works out.

Well the XX is heating up now guys. I knew it was just a matter of time.

I went out a couple times this weekend and saw plenty of deer a couple small bucks a 100" 8 and a small 6. I was willing to take a doe but no good opportunenities. The rut is just starting around here so I should have a little time to get one down. I am also hoping to get out a little more offten so I hope I put one down soon. Good luck and be safe.

William

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.