Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Quick - I agree - those places are evil! (I amlost saved a cougar kitten from their evil clutches one time many moons ago) - a cute little 12 week old kitten. Best of luck tonight wherever the wind takes you! OH - WOW - what a HOG! - that is a beauty of a deer anywhere! - Tell your bud congrats!!

Big Daddy - Sorry that you got that shook up - but it was great that you were there! Quick is right - that level of excitement is what it is all about - gotta love that! - One thing that I have been doing - the second I decide I want to shoot it I try to focus on where I want my arrow to exit - and let the pheriphial vision watch if the deer is getting nervous - relaxed etc. - but that does seem to help everything else to go on autopilot! - Best of luck in your next encounter!

Ryan - sorry to hear that bud! - but again - a clean miss is nothing to hang you head over. I have had 4 - the first two when I shot bear bow, one was just a flat miss and the other Iused the wrong pin. Look on the bright side - you have your mulligan out of the way. Sounds like you were into them good this weekend - best of luck tagging one of those shooters!

Scott - I loved the story - that bear is huge!, thanks!

IL - that is the ticket - moon getting smaller - corn leaving and temps dropping - sounds like the planets are comming into alingment!

Sum - sorry you could not connect on that doe - but again - it is great being in deer all weekend! - good luck next weekend.

We camped this weekend - put in another new stand on Sunday. Have one more left to put up now - just have to decide on where - and the portable chase stand- but all of them look great! - now get a little cooler weather like is headed our way and some sitting time!!

Take care
Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys how is it going? Ryan sorry to hear about the miss. That stuff happens if you hunt long enough. I know where you are coming from I have yet to miss a deer with the bow but did lose that doe last year and that made me sick. Bigdaddy hang in there it will all come together soon. You will get one sooner or later. Well on my end the deer movement is nonexsitent. I hunted this weekend and did not see a single deer on stand. I did see a nice 10 point that was probably 16'' wide saturday night in the field after I got out of my stand but nothing else. I am hoping when some of the corn comes down and the temps cool off the deer will get moving. I hope that all is going well everywhere else. Be safe and good luck.

William
Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Troy - Love the journal - takes me to a better place!
Mike
Old 10-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Quick.. Man, don't buy a dog from a pet store... Asking for trouble in oh so many ways... I have... 9 dogs... yes 9... What the heck is wrong with me?

3 are shelter rescues from Montana. 1 is a 15 year old Husky, he won't be with us much longer unfortunately. 1 is a 10 year old Malamute/Shepherd mix and the other is a 10 year Rott Sheperd mix.. Old gals both who probably are on their last legs too, or getting close to them... Than the three sheep/cattle dogs that are 2,3 and 7 and than the guard dogs, one a free Great Pyr that has hit some tough sledding of late and than two pups we got this summer that are Anatolian crosses.. Great pups, 7 months old and weigh 80 pounds probably.. They had the rolly polly big paw thing ging when we got them, now they run 30 miles per hour without trying, have gigantic paws and jaws that could snap a coyote in two with little if any effort. They go out to protect the herd this winter.. Moose, the male should top out at 130-140 pounds and be as tall as a Great Dane... Great disposition but he will be a bruiser.. I lvoe dogs but got too many... Need to get down to 4 or 5 I think.. Time will probably do that for us quick enough.

Still real warm today... Tomorrow too bt Wed and thursday look nice.. Light rain with the cool temps.. Sounds Ideal... I think I will be out both evenings if Ican...

Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

not much going on here. Saw nothing but a coon this morn. Headed to a different farm tomorrow.

Quick,
Go with a shelter dog or a breeder. I know pet stores are all nice and fancy and stuff but I'd never get one there.

Keep at em out there guys.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just checking in. I will be out in the AM to find a bigger buck.

Quick, tell your buddy congrats, thats a great buck.

Man that is a hog that team 7 posted. Huge

Get busy boys and lets pull a repeat!!
Old 10-10-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Troy - that journal entry was great, and so were the pictures. It looks like you fellas had a whale of a good time! Good luck tonight with the whities Chief.

Fellas - thanks for the advice on the pup. I normally wouldn't go the pet store route either, but it was one of those things that just happened. He looked like he'd have drooled a lot. Not sure how that would've went over with the Misses. LOL Anthony - I can't believe you have nine dogs. Holy mackerel that's a lot of animals (and a lot of dog food). I guess it helps to have them around on the farm. I'd be the same way if I had the space - I like dogs.

Last night's hunt: I wasn't expecting much, because the temps were in the high seventies (close to 80), but I headed into a new place anyway. On my way in, (4:30) I walked right up onto two doe feeding on a little oak ridge. I waited for them to get down over the bank, and I slipped by. I opted to hunt a narrow field strip that connects two small woodlots, one containing a lot of oaks, mostly reds, that are dropping a lot of mast. Imagine two largefields connected by narrow grassy strip, the aerial photo looks like an hourglass. There's a nice telephone pole tree right in the middle of this 20-yard opening. Lots of activity and trails crossing the field laterally.

5:30 - 2 doe come through.
6:00 - a huge doe comes through alone. She wanders under thestand munching the leaves off of the limbs that I had just cut one hour earlier.
6:20 - a decent eight pointer steps out (maybe 13") 15 yards quartering away, he wasn't what I was looking for. He heads out into the field. I'm pretty amped, because that's theonly thesecond legal buck that I've had in bow range all season.
6:30 - rumbling in the distance - a quad. Ten minutes later,here he comes,driving the path that goes through one of the fields, clearing the eight pointer off the field, along with everything else that I couldn't see. I hear at least onedeer running through the woods.

He gets closer, and I get him in the bino's, and this is what I see: Random guy driving acandy-apple red ATVwith a climber treestand strapped to the back, just rumbling along at about 5 mph. He's wearing blue jeans, a camo shirt, and a camo bandana. Now the funny part - he had his bow on the handlebars in one of those rubber bow holders, with an arrow ON THE STRING, broadhead pointing out in front of the quad. His head is on a swivel, looking for anything to move. I got pretty mad about it, but maybe I shouldn't be such a baby about such things.

So, this clown proceeds to ride through the fields and up and down every gas line within earshot between 6:30 and 7:30.I never saw another deer. He was still going with the headlights on the next ridge when I left.

Needless to say, I was hoping to pass him on my walk out to give this guy a piece of my mind, but continued out the other way, and I wasn't about to chase him down b/cI was hungry and wanted to get home.

Looking back, I was happy to have finally seen some deer, but as usual, it's the deer that you DON'T see that leave you wondering what might've been coming. It was non-stop deer from the time I got out of the car to the time I saw the ATV guy.

My goodness - what a buck for Team 7! If I saw a deer like that, I'd fall out of my treestand.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:39 AM

IT is too many but if I could afford it I would have more... The best is going on a pasture walk with all of them running around you. You might walk a mile but some of those dogs cover 3-4 miles in that time period just running around.. Let me tell you, I started feeling better about leaving the farm when we got the one great Pyr to patrol the yard.... She really wouldn't hurt a fly unless that fly was trying to hurt one of us but a 120-13 pound dog just gives people pause.. The ny real problem is when the coyotes are running and howling... The 6 sheepguard dogs jsut go nuts and you don't sleep... The barking doesn't seem to bother the oldtimers inside however.

Yep.. Nice buck for team 7... Yowzer I would have fallen out of a tree too.

Sorry about the Quad guy... Where I hunt I here truck traffic the whole time, doesn't bother the deer because it is normal but I wish it was quieter usually.. Hard to escape semis around here during harvest season however.

Good luck guys... Cold front coming this way... Sounds great to me.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran, he was riding with a nocked arrow?? What a cabbage head. I'm going to try and head out this evening for a hunt behind the house. I could have shot a doe Sunday morning, but I kept seeing movement behind her in the honeysuckle, thought (hoped) it was a buck, so I let her walk. Whatever it was never showed up, so she got a free pass........this time lol.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, he looked like some kind of redneck Sir Lance-A-Lot with an arrow on the string, pointing out in front of the quad (he drove by twice at 40-50 yards). I'm guessing he had one of those drop-away rests that holds the arrow in place. Before he got there, that eight pointer had drifted up near the quad trail -If it would have stood there and letQuadguy pull up and deliver a fatal shot, I might have bludgeoned him with my climber and pushed his quad down over the hill.

To give you an idea of how lazy this guy is, take this into consideration. The entire woodlot consists of basically 5 parcels, the largest being 120 acres, the smallest being 80. That's less than a full square mile. Seriously, when you're reduced to roadhunting a 1 square mile woodlot, it's time to hang up the bow and maybe take up a low-impact sport likeAnt Farmingor Competitive Sleeping. Honestly, you canhoof itfrom one road to the next in just a few minutes.

I guess he just packs his treestand on there for looks, or maybeso that if anyone asks, he's "on his way" to his evening hunting spot.

On a positive note, I remembered my boots yesterday.

Dave - good luck tonight. I'm heading out here in 40 minutes. It's clouding up and looks like rain, but I'll be out there. Not sure where the winds of fate will guide me tonight. I can't wait until it cools off - hot again here today. I hate hunting in the heat, but if it was 130 degrees, I'd still be out there, so who am I kidding?

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.