Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Dave - I just got off the phone with Florscheim, they want to start marketing a new camo dual purpose dress shoe, the XX edition, it has a shinycamo upper with aggressive tread on the bottom. Ralph Lauren is currently working on a realtree business suit with a built-in fall restraint and scent control for those days when changing clothes is just too much to handle. The tie and cumberbuncombine to make a heavy duty deer drag. "Redneck Ralph" iswhat their new line will be called.

Scot - thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I can get into a big buck soon, whether I remember my bow that day, well, that's another issue.

AR - 40 yards is a heck of a shot bro. I'd be mighty proud of that. That fan mount looks awesome. I bet you'll be making another one this spring, so keep some space cleared for that. By the way, that's a great buck you have mounted - those split brows are really nice.

Mike - My golden retriever has gone a few rounds with my shoes when he was a pup. I don't know what it is about a dog and a shoe. I've never looked at a pennyloafer and thought "mmmm.... man would I love to eat that." He ate one of my Doc Martens, which almost resulted in his untimely death. I was surprised, but my shoes held up pretty well and cleaned up nicely. Matter of fact, I'm wearing them right now. Score one for the good guys.

I never really thought about it, but sturgeon fishing sounds like a most righteous idea. I'm not much of a fisherman, but when the fish weight 30+ pounds, I start getting interested.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:41 AM

They better hurry on that suit.. I have a wedding to goto on October 21st and my 6th anniversery is on the 22nd so I need to be able to slip from one event to the other with some hunting inbetween....

Going out tonight... Yessir as long as the tractor shows before 2pm I am going out tonight and sitting in a blind near where that 8 point walked.... Yessir... wind is right..

Quick, you should try bowfishing for Alligator Gar... I have always been of the opinion that one of those suckers could turn aorund and take your leg off but it would satisfy two things 1) You would be using a bow and 2) the fish would be well over 30 pounds..

Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

AR - thanks for the story - nice shot! - Did you have the unbrella thing that attaches to the tree? - I have always thought those would be slick! - Love the fan we typically stick ours on the wall - great idea! - Sweet mount also.

Quick - he just chewed the backs of min - but it was the entier back (would have looked like the backless shoes that everyone wears - crap - totally missed out on the front end of that curve).

IL - glad you are going to get out tonight! - best of luck

Mike
Old 10-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike - buy yourself one of those umbrellas. I know they look like a piece of junk, gimmick, whatever, but man oh man are those things nice if you get stuck in a steady rain. Mine fits perfectly into the hydration bladder slot in my daypack, so it's always out of the way.

Anthony - I'd definitely give bowfishing for gar a go. Those are some mean looking fish. Good luck tonight Chief. A tip: Stay away from the camo suit on your anniversary. Women have killed men for less. LOL Now the wedding, on the other hand....

Dave - Are you going to the game tomorrow? They'll be burning couches in St. Louis if the Cards rip off another win.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran,

Yeah, the boss and I are going to the game. I actually had an unexpected "job" offer for Sunday night. I am going to sit in on the round table discussion after the Cards game, if necessary with some of the STL radio/TV sports anchors. i am pretty stoked about that.I called and spoke to one of the sports hosts last week about him being on my sports show next week, he returned the favor to me. Hopefully I have some decent to say lol.

I hunted behind the house this AM. My stand is about 200 yards out my back door. This is my grade A, gonna kill a bruiser stand, funnel, rublines, food plot, this is my best spot. Wind was perfect.....nothing to report. I get down and was walking back to the house, jump a huge doe about 50 yards behind my house. She was bedded in the cattails next to the pond....ugh. Walk around to the front door, theres a basket rack in my FRONT YARD!! I could have killed him, 25 yards, eating acorns. I went in to get the camera, he was about 150 yards in the field by then, heading for the stand I just left. I'm going to let that little guy walk, but God help him if he walks past my old man lol.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's SWEET Dave. I've been trying to get hired by a pro/college sports team for a while now, but no dice so far. You've gotta know somebody. I really don't even care what it is that they make me do, but I just would like to work in the sports industry somehow. I did some NCAA tutoring to student athletes at Pitt, have a few kids who are in the NFL now, which is cool. Tennessee pays their tutors $27/hr. Pitt pays $8. Booo. I even tried to get hired at Dick's corporate as a buyer for hunting stuff. LOL Apparently people want individuals with experience, who knew?

Anyway, on the deer front, just keep plugging away at it, and sooner or later, you'll cross paths with something worthy of shooting at.

Man am I ever bored at work today. Bossman is out of town, my desk is clear, and I have an appointment with a bunch of colleagues at 5:00 for happies. Time is standing still.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM

It is 2pm and all is not well... Where the heck is that delievery guy with the tractor... Phone time... Hopefully he is delayed a day or three and I can get out hunting... Hopefully it is not a 2 hour delay Checkd my other game cams earlier today, away from hunting site and found a 1.5 year old 8 point on one of them... That is the dump out area of the woods, will be hunting back there once the corn is picked as it becomes a nice funnel toward a water supply for the deer in this area. Until than though, well.. Maybe I will start up there soon.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I'm about to call it a day here. I've got no fingernails left, and I've read every thread on this entire website. Happy hour is calling me (actually it's my wife). Good luck this weekend fellas.

Anthony - tell that tractor guy to meet you after dark.

What's the weather doing in everyone's area? We're finally getting cool enough to make the mosquitoes go away, which is exciting. I hate hunting in the heat - you just sweat like a pig and get eaten alive. Should be a nice day tomorrow. Visions of big bucks dancing in my head.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys, I have to share something with you that I'm not real happy about. Tonight something happend while I was out hunting that hasn't happened since 1995. I missed a deer with my bow. [:'(]11 years, 26 dead deer. I figured I couldn't go the rest of my life without missing, but honestly this was probably one of the things in my hunting career that I was most proud of, so I'm a little bummed. It was a nice big doe at 15 yds....yea 15. No excuses, no limbs, no malfunctions, just asimple failure to focus and concentrate at the most critical moment for a hunter.

Good luck out there guys.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Deer didn't seem to be moviing much tonight.. Saw a fawn and heard her mom but didn't see her, underbrush still to thick.. Don't think either saw me but who knows... They went left at the fork and I was set up for them going right.. These things happen...

Called tractor guy.. Coming on monday it seems..

Trying to figure out hunting this weekend.. It is the Youth firearms season which makes it a bit, uhm, interesting to be out in the woods. Usually not a problem and it might actually get some deer moving.. We are going to be warming up this weekend.. I hope tog et out tehre because baling time is starting... Good news is it looks like the field around Stand A of timber is going to get cut down..

Rybo.. At least it was a clean miss, these things happen to the best of them...

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.