Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Anthony - that buck looks fine by anyone's standards - good picture. Bummer that you'll be up late the night before. I probably won't get much sleep either, b/c we're having my parents over for mom's birthday. That'll get my mind off deerhunting for a while.

Troy - it feels like forever since I've been deer hunting. Have you had any luck with your game camera? Anyway, good luck in the stand this week, Chief.

Fellas - this is a picture of a small ginseng patch. It pays to know what it is, b/c it's (the root)selling for nearly $400/pound dry these days. They will have a cluster of berries as they mature - you can google it for more pictures, but you get the idea. Ryan - there area lot of good places in and around Pittsburgh, keep an eye out. My great grandfather used to trap mink, fox and coon and pick this stuff (among other salable plants)for a living - he was a real mountain man - no electricity - no running water - coal stove - lived to coon hunt. Anyway, (much to my mother's behest) he used to let me tag along as a kid, and we'd walk the hills picking seng and goldenseal. If you're lucky enough to stumble into a big patch that's never been touched, you couldbe into some serious cash. It's so rare nowadays that I really don't pick it - just transplant it here and there, plant the seeds, etc...

Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 PM

Nope Troy, that is a Leafriver IR.. Have two of them and another leaf river that is busted. Need to send it in and see if it is fixable... I like the IR ones so far.. MOved a camera out of the area that the buck walked past... Trying to get him coming out of that wood lot too.. I would shoot him if I saw him, not saying I wouldn't as he would be a first bow buck, I just have no idea of how nice he is because the picture is so incomplete... Camera was set on battery saver or I would have gotten a second one I think. The camera did show me what I suspected though, lots of deer traffic along that fence and that clearing has some nice trees.... Hmmm..

Family comes first... Probably will be home by 11 or so but it is a 2 hour drive from there to hear.. Hopefuilly my daughter will not fight too much about going to bed.. There is always Monday Fran.. I'm almost set up but I need to get hunting early this year because I am going to have at least a week probably of balls to the wall baling cornstalks for feed this winter... Hope to be done by October 15th but so much depends on what is going on with the farmer.. But late OCtober early November looks good...

Old 09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

MIne's the green one

Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

A few more pics for you guys. We are going to have to get a few more with dead critters in em, but these will have to do for now

Old 09-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys how is it going? It sounds like you all had a good time out west. I wish I could have been there. The pics look great. I can't wait until sunday. I have been seeing more deer activity latly and the temps are supposed to cool down so it should be great hunting weather. It will be good that we will all be out hunting again. I hope that we all shoot something that makes us happy. I should be able to gt back on before the opener but if I don't good luck to all and be safe.

William
Old 09-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Will, same goes for you, good luck and be safe.Looks like we allmight have to break out the hunting jackets for the opener. That's the first time I ever remember having to do that - normally I wind up wearing just a long-sleeved t-shirt and sweating all day. Last year dragging that buck out, I thought I was gonna have a heat stroke. Couldn't ask for better weather on 9/30, so long as the rain holds off.

I just looked over the lunar tables on espn outdoors, and on Saturday morning we'll be experiencing a rare moon underfoot period during the daylight hours between 6:50 and 7:30 a.m.(that only happens a couple days per month) - that could have a positive impact on the deer activity if the weather cooperates. Just something to keep in the back of your mind, I guess. It'll be a half-moon. The moon overhead period will be 7:20 7:50 p.m., so that should help make for a good evening hunt. I've been following these lunar tables for going on three years now, and it does seem like, when the weather cooperates (which is rare), that there is some correlation between the deer activity and the tides.

So Anthony will officially be the last guy on the team to get in the woods, Sunday or Monday, right? I wish I understood why some states make us wait so long to start bowhunting.

Dave - what the heck is up with the Cards? If they blow this, it'll go down as an all-time legendary meltdown.

Troy, that's some beautiful country you have out there.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran, I ran the board last night for the Cards game. It almost made me sick. Pujols will get walked everytime he bats with RISP...no one else is doing anything at the plate. I have tickets for Friday nights game, I don't know if I'm even going or not.....I know that sounds like a fairweather fan, but its hard to watch uninspired players choke. They have lost 8 straight two different times this season, last night made 7 in row, they go for the hat trick tonight.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:01 AM

Quick, I will be out on the opener at least a bit. I would love to get out there at 5am or whatever but I think I will probably aim for an afternoon hunt instead, that way I can get all the chores done and enjoy the day instead of worying about having to get it all done in the dark.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

You lucky ducks and your Sunday hunting.[>:] Hmph! So unfair. I'm writing a letter tomy legislatorsabout this. I demand change. I'm beingheld down by the man.

Come on Dave, you've gotta go to the game on Friday - look at it this way, at least it's meaningful. If they'd run off 10 wins in a row, the starters would probably be sitting. Now, it's a game of huge significance.

What do you mean when you say you "ran the board?"
Old 09-27-2006, 10:51 AM

I'm guessing that BBM was running the board for the radio station that he works for during the ball game as they carried it. You know, doing the station identity breaks and commercials.. There is a local station around here that does cards games and the same station's FM affiliate does cubs games.. I would almost kill to have my team playing meaninful game sin September.. Or June... Or May...

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.