Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

These are those days of waiting aren't they, anything, anything to take your mind of the hunting is welcome around here I know that. It has been getting real bad and last night when I stepped outside and actually felt a nip in the air... Man.. It wasn't that cold but it had that crisper feel to the air, kind of like an October day... Got a whole bunch of juices runnin and I am not just talking about the burgers that were on the grill.. Oh well, time is coming soon..

Drove by a field today that had been combined... Found t very confusing as this is WAY early for that but makes me think the corn might get out of the fields a little early this year if the weather holds.. One can hope, it took FOREVER last year.

Penn State vs Notre Dame this weekend Quick... Two reasons to vote of blue and white.

Old 09-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anthony -I've had 9/9/06 circled on the calendar since Kevin Kelly's last kick went through the uprights in the Orange Bowl. I really really really don't like Notre Dame, so for me, this game is probably as big as the Super Bowl - a huge statement game for us.This game has it all - National Championship implications, Touchdown Jesus, JoePA, past recruiting battles, media hype, traditional powers, etc... It all comes to a head on Saturday.

I've arranged for the wife to go out with her girlfriends that night, leaving me home alone with my buddies (I just can't watch a game of that magnitude in the presence of women). The beer is in the fridge chilling, and the pizza coupons are already clipped.Don't forget: Texas/OSU on commercial breaks.

Watch these players for PSU:

Dan Connor - LB(40)
Derek Williams -WR(2)
Donnie Johnson - S (6)
Anthony Morelli - QB (14)
AJ Wallace - CB/WR/KR (12) - True Frosh
Chris Bell - WR (19) - True Frosh
Deon Butler - WR (3)
Paul Posluszny - LB (31)

If you're bored, check out PSU's new football player/recruiting site www.gopsf.com - they have some awesome video and behind the scenes stuff.

After careful consideration, I will not be painting my face for the game :P

By the way, did you see that Carolina cut Basanez?? What's up with that?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:32 PM

lol.. face painting.. I did that once... A long, long, long time ago.. Than I had to go play in a baseball game and was sweating the color of the face paint as some had gotten in my hair along the once more plentaful hair line.

Didn't hear that about Bret.. Wonder if he got picked up by someone else or if he got practiced squaded... He might be a CFL QB in the making if he wants to go that route... His predecessor at NU, I can't remember his name right now, was on an NFL roster for a couple of years... Miami if I remember correct, tried out for Bears after the fomer team cut him but couldn't unseat Johnathan Quin or Henry Buris... Takes a lot to not be able to unseat those champions of ineptitude.

I doubt NU vs New Hampshire will be on the tube so I will be seaching for somoene else I am sure.....

My other former U put the smack down on U of Colorado.. Can't believe the good old MSU Bobcats jumped up and beat the Buffs.. if only Barnett had still been there my day would have been really complete.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howdy Howdy fellas, I hope all is well. Life is good here, but as with the house it is still busy! We put in the floor and painted this week..done..

Granit and cabnets should be finished by Friday, then some plumbing for the new kitchen followed by furniture Sunday...whew..bout done..oh yeah ..hopefully the siding will be done before Mike and Ryan and Pat show up next friday! Oh yeah gravel too...does it ever end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????

As for hunting guys, I haven't knocked an arrow. I came close last Saturday evening, but my old buck wouldnt step from the timber edge, he stood their staring at until dark...I had him at 50 yards...grrrrrrrrr

My brother missed a dandy buck. 150..gross 5x5 forsure..shot right over him at 34 yards... He misjudged the distance from his ground blind..he was SICK..but happy he had a pure clean miss. I felt so bad for him.. I put him on a trail that I purposely didnt hunt so he could have first shots at this buck. I had watched this buck more than any other buck all summer as far as seeing him consistently using this same entrance route. The buck is a smarter deer now... I haven't seen him since..hes a big 200lb, 150 gross plus ...I might geta crack at him closer to his bed this evening. I will hunt tonight within about 200 yards of his bedding spot. Unless he's moved, I doubt it though..Robs miss confused him more than spooked him..as he ran off..or it seemed anyway...

I'll keep you posted...Take care guys...

OBTW... elk are bugling...just starting to talk... boys... Iwatched 11 cows behind my home yesterday... pressure from the other side has moved them in...I wont disturb them ..saving for Ryan and Mike..there will be a bull or two in with them any day...

Troy

GO IRISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey guys, hope all is going well preparing for the seasons and for some (troy you lucky dog) already hunting.

Troy,
keep us posted bud, only a little over a week till the invasion of the flat landersWow, did I just say a little over a week. Amazing.

Mike,
got the tube in the mail today. Those are pretty sweet. Thanks!

As far as the big game this weekend psu vs ND....being from Pitt, I don't like either team. But being a college football fan, I know this is a big game and will be watching intently.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike - I got the tube in the mail, and wow. Big time thanks for that - now I have to find a good way to get em on the wall. I'll have to swallow my manhood and go to Michael's to get frames and matting.

Troy - I'm rooting for ya, even though you're a Notre Dame fan [>:]. It's finally starting to cool down around here and feel like deer season. If I know you, you've probably got quite a few stand/ground blind sets to rotate between each night, so I'm sure that it's only a matter of time before an arrow hits the air. Anyway, how about alittle wager onSaturday's game? Loser has to put either "I LOVE NOTRE DAME" or "PENN STATE > NOTRE DAME" in the signature line for one full week. (In Irish Green orPSU Blue, of course).

Ryan, I think I'll be able tospot on Sunday night - I'll give my buddy a call tonight and see if he wants to go.

I haven't been out scouting much lately, and the next two weekends won't be any different - I'm in a wedding next weekend, and this weekend is reserved for football. Saturday morning, I will be heading out early to hang up a couple stands on the field edgesand do a little scouting, but I'll be at my usual stomping grounds, so there probably won't be any surprises. It should be a pretty quick stop, just hang two stands, clear some holesand high-tail it.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:14 PM

Out scouting yesterday and the day before.. Nothing major, one day checking cameras and moving one from one place to another as it had zero activety (I think it is more of a late season trail as I have picked up Dozens of deer there in the past but that was in January) and looking for any torn up gorund indicating havy activety.. Just trying to see what is out there more than where they are going as the patern now is to go out of any one of 20 exits into the cornfields and than dispere through other field... After the corn falls this seemt to change as they narrow down their exits to one main one on each end of the wood lots... We shall see, had some deer on the one spot, nothing major..

Still early for you shed, I imagine you will come across something sooner or later that strikes your fancy... Soemtimes I think it would be great to get that deer on opening day and have one in the boooks so to speak but a good part of the hunt to me is not the final shot... It is the prep, the staying out there for hours on end and the getting away from it all for a few mnutes.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:07 AM

Shed - sounds like your extremely busy. Good luck with the big boys you've been seeing.

Quick - "I've arranged for the wife to go out with her girlfriends that night, leaving me home alone with my buddies".....I like your thinking. There are times that the wives just need to GO!!!

Well, I got some pretty big news yesterday that may put a pimp in my hunting this year. I was offered a new job in Montcalm County (MI). That's about two hours north of where we currently live. The house goes up for sale this week but we can't move until we sell our current house. So, now the work begins....It kind of sucks - all of this just 3 weeks before season opens. Looks like the only chance I'm going to get is on weekends when I drive home. Sometimes you have to give a little to get anything. I will be going out later today to put up my last stand here. The next big step is to find some property in Montcalm county to hunt.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Howdy guys,

I've managed to slip in a couple evening hunts the past 3 days. Tuesday evening I slipped in very close into the bedding area of the5x5 that my brother missed a week ago. I got set up with the wind perfectly in regards to his exit route. He came by in the waning moments of last shooting light. All that stood between he and I was 28 yards as I crouched in my man made ground blind. At full draw I softly grunted with my voice. He stopped quartering away broadside. The perfect shot! I was dead calm, placed the 20 yard pin high on his lung with the 30 settling near heart. I tripped the trigger, instantly feeling a tug on my neck, the buck hunkered like a champion cutting horse, whirled and sped off. My arrow racedviolently off to the left. Dangling from my 3 D leafy suit was my grunt tube. I couldn't believe it, maybe it was the angle I was positioned on the ground, I am not sure, but for whatever reason my grunt call caught my string and threw my arrow off into a big brushy slope. Its been several years of ground elk and whitetail hunting, never have I had this happen. Lesson learned.... Make sure my shot angles from the ground do not leave anything to impede the shot.... He was a dandy buck.. the same 150 + 5x5 my brother missed over a week ago...I doubt he gets out of his bed before dark for a while...

Maturebucks 1, Troy 0 ......

Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough luck shed. Sounds like an exciting hunt none the less. Stay after him, you'll get him.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.