Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: (20) Official Team XX Thread

AR I live South of Richmond. I went to yahoo maps amd it is about four hours from you.

Quick I really would love to make a road trip if I had the money. I have never hunted anywhere but here in Indiana. I hope one of these days I get to hunt some place different.

Well I hope that everyone is gearing up for another great season I know I am. Talk at you later.

William
Old 08-03-2006, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

BBM- 50 times is way more than I shoot. I shoot rounds of 3-4 arrows, maybe shoot 15-20 arrows typically. Sometimes If I am tuning and having issues I'll shoot more, but not often.

Quick, its a digital. $70 wildview cam. only .3 mp, but gets the job done. The flash is REAL weak though, I got to get the deer close. The tree I had it on is out of apples, but there is another getting ready that's loaded, I hope to get some good pics when they drop, I was too late getting the cam on this tree. Nothing on the limbs yet, today was a week. If I have time I want to stop in the shop and see if he got any word of a time frame from the company.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I am shooting too much? I shoot6 arrows at my block, then 3 at my 3D target, and 3 at the other target (or the neighbors cats) j/k. I go get my arrows and shoot another 3 or 4 rounds. Maybe its the heat....maybe its the fact I am getting older lol. I am shooting now out of boredom. Not much on TV for mesincethe Cardinals decided they want the month of October off....friggin bums

BTW, I know Fran already offered up hunting with him in PA, same offer applies formein ILif anyone wants to try it out. I'm not sure if there are any NR tags left or not, but if you're up for it, let me know. Lots of public hunting here, as well as the 30 acres I own, my family has another 40 acresthat neighbors it. My dad has 40 acres nearby as well. I am about 20 miles from the largest man made lake in the state that has great fishing well into November. I can also recommend a great hotel....staying at my house is not for the faint of heart. My kids would probably hotwire your truck or shave your eyebrows off while you sleep.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoosier - one of these years if you ever come up with some free time and a $140 for the license, you can feel free to come on out - I've got food, roof, heatand air mattress, and camp has everything but food. It's not all that bad of a drive from IN, maybe six hours or so.Rybo and I arein W-PA, just outside Pittsburgh.

Button, thanks for the invite. As y'all know, I have no vacation time left, so I can't go anywhere but work. Just for curiosity, how does the NR buck licensing work in Illinois? Cost? Drawing? Limited #'s? In PA there's no drawing and no limits - just OTC sales. We do something funky with doe licenses, but who wants to drive halfway across America to shoot a doe anyway..??..

Rybo - Tell those guys at the bowshop that they need to step on it! If that doesn't get them moving,tell them you'recalling the IRS about all the "cash" deals that go on there. LOLThat'll light a fire under 'em! --- by the way, did you see that PAfinally passeda law that abolished the minimum hunting age?? I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bitnervous about going afield this fall. Something about a 6-year-old with a12-gauge scares me. Oh well, I guess they've gotta start somewhere...
Old 08-04-2006, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

quik,

The IDNR has a drawing for NR tags. I'm not exactly sure, but I think its in the $175-200 range, that includesa either sex and a doe only tag. Last time I checked, the drawing is in April. Its OTC for us locals.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:58 AM

Did everyone receive that package that was sent for winning last years contest? I haven't received mine yet and I know I saw you guys talking about getting yours a while back. Oh well...I was just curious. No new news here but I did pick up a new scouting camera the other day. I'm just waiting for the opportunity to get in the woods and set it up. I'll be sure to post pics when I get a few.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM

Buck tags in Illinois for NR are basically unlimited as the amount allocated has not been used the past two seasons... Doe is OTC for NR's. Apply early, you get your buck tag, as long as you don't mind not having money for food for a month. I don't have much public hunting around here and the FIL says not hunting on the ground I am on (Except for me and the other renter) but I have an extra house right now if someone did want to hunt around here.. Yes, extra house well, more like a soon to be superfund site but it is there...

Just got back from the beach in Michigan after a week away to recharge my batteries... Unfortunately large amounts of beer seem to have drained my batteries as did playing with the neices and nephews... OH well, it was fun.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

An update on my back up bow and hunting area. back up bow is shooting good, I'm going to put a new rest on it as this one is a little tough to adjust. But I was impressed with how quiet this bow is. Way quieter than my old Nova. All I have is cat whiskers and a set of string leeches. All you hear is a low thud.

My Dad was riding around my hunting area and the deer population is more than healthy, actually there are way too many. He saw 102, but only 12 bucks. This really ain't a big area either. I knew things were going to be loaded this year just from how many deer I saw in turkey season this spring. Even my dad who is as old timer as it gets FINALLY admitted there is probably too many deer. Years past, a real good night would be 30-50 with 10-15 bucks, and there were good numbers of deer back then. 100 deer on this loop, is really far too many.

quick,
I'm split on the youth thing. In principle I like being able to hunt when the parents feel you area able to, but it all boils down to the responsiblity of the adult. Some adults shouldn't be in the woods, let alone taking a young kid out there. Generally thoughI am all for choices being up to the indiviual rather than the state.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like all is well, I wish I could invite all of you to come hunt with me!! I dont have my own property and public land is well hunted and may be ok for bow season if you get far enough away from the parking spots, and the land I hunt, I can only bring my kids, I guess I never asked to do that, but I know I can not bring anyone else there.
I seen the big boy from last year, he is huge!! I dont dare guess how big a rack this deer has. I will just wait till he is on the ground and then give you some dimentions.
Talk to you all soon.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rybo - Last night my buddy and I took a spotting run down to that area in G.C. where we turkey hunted.... Whooooweeeeeis it ever loaded down there. We didn't see much until after 10:30, and then it was like there was a big buck behind every tree. There were three tremendous eight pointers standing in that field next to where we parked first thing in the morning. Once the days get a little shorter, we'll have to hit it again.

Mark took his video camera, so we got a lot of good footage. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a digital video camera, so I can't upload anything for y'all. We got about 12 big bucks on film, most of them in groups of three or more. I wish season started tomorrow.

BBM - I'm still cracking up at the thought of your kids shaving off eyebrows and hotwiring the truck. LOL.

Fellas - I just ordered a really nice OSHA certified safety harness on ebay to use this season for hanging stands. This isn't the exact model, but it's very similar. It's got the nice hip D-rings to use with a climbing strap, and a loop in the middle of the back to hook to the bungee/rope. It comes with one of those elastic lanyards to hook overhead. Anyway, these things seem to retail for around $150-$200, but I got mine on ebay shipped for $30 - but it took a while to find one that cheap. I still need a pole strap and some good rope, but I'll get that next. Being that everyone here has a wife/gf/kids/others depending on them, it's a good idea to make sure we're safe while we monkey around with the treestands. I have a small camo harness that I use during season, but this one is heavy duty and easy clipping, which might make the whole process a little less dangerous.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.