2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Rules

Old 11-07-2005, 05:08 PM

Default RE: Official Rules

ORIGINAL: kshunter

Here's my 2 cents. The kid shot a nice buck and we're not entering it in the contest because there isn't a bow in the picture. This contest is for fun, no money involved. Not making some exceptions to the rule is taking away from the contest. A bow in the picture doesn't prove anything anyways. Give credit when credit is due. Nice buck, just a shame to take away the credit because the weapon isn't in the picture.Give the benefit of the doubt. There's a lot of reasons why it can be tough to get a bow in the picture. Just my opinion, everybody has that.

I agree, give credit where credit is due.. The young man killed a great buck.. BUT, for the contest we have rules and they should be strictly followed IMO.

And if the contest is "just for fun", why not throw all the rules out?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally doubt anyone here would enter a deer in this contest that they either didn't kill, or killed illegally. At least I really hope they wouldn't. It's not like they have anything to gain.
So, IMO either we stick with the rules....no exceptions....or we just allow anything to go. You can't have it both ways, it's not fair. There are already deer that are *entered* in the contest that don't have a bow in the pic. Not sure why or what the situation is on that. So I guess it's Rob's call. That's my .02 for what it's worth.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let the kid's deer count. It's only gonna make a difference if his team wins. If his team wins by a narrow margin, deal with it then. Let him proudly display his trophy.

I agree with kshunter above - let his deer in. I really don't think he's cheating.

As WVHunter said, it's not very likely that somebody is going to try to cheat the system. Obviously, we're working on an honor code anyway, b/c who's to say that all of us didn't get our pictures taken with a roadkill (orsomebody else's deer)and our bow? When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, there's an "Honor System" element to every entry, not just this one.

If anyone is willing to cheat to win this contest, they obviously need to win worse than the rest of us.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thus far all deer are entered in the contest.....stayed tuned.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:34 PM

Personally I agree with the honor system.We are playing a game based in this principle to begin with.I like to believe that ALL of us play this way.I for one think that bowhunting says a lot about a man.This is a sport that takes great amounts of work involved and it takes patience.I think that people we know put just as much and some more then we do into this sport deserved to be given the benefiet of the doubt in a situation like this.I for one am usually kinda out of it first the first day or two after shooting a good buck.I have forgotten to take pictures of 2 of my own because I was so excited.We all make mistakes.I think forgetting your bow or not getting the complete animal is something that can be easily overlooked when you are excited about your deer.Everyone in this contest to me is a honorable person.Let his stand.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:36 PM

Just for fun, huh? Noone would cheat would they? See the Team 10 thread......
Old 11-30-2005, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I actually want to apologize to everyone for being weak....next years contest is going to be strict popularity or not, no bow, no entry...the rule is not that hard and I let it slide this year and I shouldn't have.....for that I apologize...

I believe all that were taking this far except Micdundee's animal..shame on him, but as the seasons progress and gun seasons are in....we need good, quality photos from everyone....besides the contest, for keepsakes.

Again, sorry for my leniency. [&:]
Old 11-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Site Bouncer

Rob,

No need to apologize, you are doing what you think is best and that is all we can ask for. You have been put into these spots by us (myself included) as I have lobbied for one of my teams entries and you are doing the best you can. I for one am greatfull as I know it is alot of work. I will stand behind any decision you make (even if it's against my team)

Please don't feel you need to do this by yourself. If there is a tough decision to be made just PM all of the captians, tell us what's going on and we can vote on it, no need to put this all on your shoulders, that's what we are here for.

Keep up the good work.

John