Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team Bag Em & Drag Em (29) Thread >

Official Team Bag Em & Drag Em (29) Thread

2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Bag Em & Drag Em (29) Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 12:10 PM

Default RE: Official Team Bag Em & Drag Em (29) Thread

Congrats on the new addition to your family.
I ended up with 3 does and a coyote this weekend when it was all said and done.Every hunt both morning and evening stands had a lot of doe action.The yote chesed away the turkeys coming up to me.He stopped and looked back at the turkeys he chased away I let my arrow fly and 35 yards later it blew right through him.
The bucks arent coing to my spots just yet.But the does sure are.I will concentrate on these spots when the pre rut hits.I am starting to see a lot of rubs and I am on to a rub line on a ridge.I found a new choke point at the orchard that is littered with rubs and acorns.I am planning on hunting this spot tomorrow both morning and evening.I dont have to play the wind here so much I am on one side or the other depending on the wind.So this is a ideal ambush spot for cruising bucks when the rut will be in.

Hope everyone has great luck while there out hunting.Jen I know you will get your buck this year.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Moon, congrats on the new baby, Hope everyones hunting is going good, Illinoise sounds like you are having a great season. Well I will be hunting in 9 days, and counting. good luck to all. hunt safe..
Old 10-05-2005, 05:53 PM

well i went out this past weekend, got in the stand kinda late since i didn't get back in town from orlando till about 12: 30 in the morning. got in stand about 9 30 was only up there about 10 minutes when i heard a twig snap and see a good size doe coming in at about 50 yrds away. well i watched her and yearling feed for a few minutes and then the doe walked behind some trees and i didn't see her anymore. well the yearling came and bedded down about 40 yards out and so i assumed the doe was also bedded down there also. well after almost 1.5 hrs the yearling ran off and the doe got up and started walking back from where she came. i pulled out the fawn in destress call and brought her back in( came in running ) as she came in the field i drew and i think she might have heard me draw back and she spooked and ran behind some trees and stood there for about 5 minutes. she finally calmed down and started walking away. i saw where she was going and positioned myself for the shot judged where i thought she would be at 30 yards and as soon as she stepped in the lane i put my 30yrd pin on her back and let it fly. well dumb@@@ here misjudged the distance and was closer to 20 yards and it just barely sailed over her back. im glad i missed though( valuable lesson) and didn't just wound her

better luck friday though.....
good luck to you all
Old 10-05-2005, 07:13 PM

That happened to me on a buck one time.I thought he was 32 yards and he was 40.I shot right under his belly.He ran off up the hill.I ended up shooting a buck that score 121 about a half hour later from that same blind.The blind was a patch of tall weeds about 30 yards into a bean field.I made sooting lanes and such and it proved to work very well.The buck I missed was a 150 class P&Y.Still havent gotten him 2 year slater.He is still there and is a monster now.I am guessing high 180's.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Moonglo - Congratulations on the new baby!

I went out Monday morning and didn't see a darn thing.
Missed Tuesday sleeping in and going shopping.

This morning I also slept in. This is what happens when you don't sleep at night.
This afternoon I went out to a ground blind. This blind is at the edge of a narow strip of woods right near where a funnel opens towards the woods. At about 5:30 I turned to see a doe looking at me about 25 feet away. Of course I was facing the wrong direction. She got as close as 20 feet then stomped around a bit and left. Later I heard a snort from a different direction. When it became too dark I left my blind to walk the trail back thru the woods. I spooked another doe and then looked down to find a huge scrape. Hope they don't mind me stepping in it! I know where the two main trails are near the scrape and when the wind is right I will set up between them. That's about it here. We're supposed to get some rain tomorrow night and then get cooler weather. I hope it gets cooler so that the deer will move more and the skeeters will leave me alone.

Going back out in the morning.... GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

Old 10-05-2005, 10:03 PM

It is supposed to rain here also tonight and tomorrow morning.i will be hunting in the morning also.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:39 PM

got a question. i will be hunting tomorrow and the cold front just moved through. we havn't had rain since almost may till today. should i hunt a trail leading to/ from a bedding area in the morning. or a creek bed that should be full of water.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 PM

If it is at all possible then I would hunt the trail in the morning then around 10 move it to the creek then you should see deer in both spots.The water will be a popular place from 10 until 2 or 3.They will need that drink in the afternoon even if it is cooler weather.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Lousy hunting for me all week! Friday and Saturday I did not see a thing. Friday it rained off and on but I usually see more deer when that happens - not this time. And Saturday the wind was blowing from the north and this is bad for where I hunt. My property is on a north facing hill so no matter where I went my scent was blowing towards where the deer come from. I decided to move to the upwind side on one corner of the property but when I got to the top of the hill I spied a nice new homemade treestand just across the property line. No wonder I haven't seen anything! One day the farmer had his corn picker out and another day the other farmer was mending a fence where the main funnel is. When I switched locations yesterday I found another scrape along my walking trail. It had a huge rounded hoof print in it and it looked as if it was just made. There is also a nice rub nearby that's pretty high off the ground. Now if I can only get the wind and neighbors to cooperate.
By the way there is tons of sign around...and each night when I look out the window there is almost always deer digging around where the salt lick was. They're out there but I guess their patterns are way off from the norm. So far this season has been the worst as far as seeing deer in the woods.

Hope everyone else is having better luck than me!!!
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 PM

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I ended up bagging a doe on Saturday night, the first deer with my new Hoyt. I posted a question asking for guesses as to her age because I am thinking 6.5 to 7.5. Her molars were almost flat and very low on the gumline. WheneverI get a deer that old (which is rare for a free ranging deer) I can't help but wonder how many times I have run into her before, if she has busted me before, or even if I had ever missed her. Thats a long time to be alive. I also put up a couple of new stands today. I was just about to the ridgetop of a steep hill and sat down to take a break when the wind blew and I got a very strong, pungent whiff of buck urine. It smelt just like tarsal glands in the heat of the rut. I looked around a little bit and found a large scrape that just reeked. It had obviously been freshened recently. Hope the rest of you had some luck.

Quick Reply: Official Team Bag Em & Drag Em (29) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.