Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Official Team 25 Thread

To make a long story short, I took my climber to a known funnel and set it up. Jumped six deer on the way to hanging (very odd for our county). Later seen a six point, doe, and spike all cruising through the woods. No sooner than the spike got out of hearing distance I heard this big boy. He came straight up hill to about thirty yards and that is when I took the shot. He was kinda of quartering away and hit him in the neck. Not the best shot, but buck fever was playing a big role. Waited about 2hrs and then started tracking him. He went about 300yds and never layed down. The deer is well over 200 pounds. Hope the pics turn out. Scored him at 132 1/2 gross.

Old 11-14-2005, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Huntinwv.....Man that thing is a HAMMER!!! Way to go, that is one awesome deer!!! How long are the tines? That thing looks like it goes more than 132". Are you sure you scored him right? WOW, that pumps me up!!!
Where in WV are you hunting?

Now we are adding to the points!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Awesome buck, huntinwv. That had to have gotten the juices flowing. Our score is adding up quickly now. Lets show em how it is done guys. Good luck to those left to fill their tags.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Huntinwv he is a beauty!!!

He certainly looks bigger than 132...
Old 11-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey great buck huntinwv!!!! I would have to agree, (unfortunately) that looks like it should score more than 132 4/8.
Old 11-19-2005, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, need to make a quick check in. No bow kills yet. I passed 2 small bucks this evening with the bow though. I did go out for our rifle opener in VA and took a basket 8pt. Around 6:45am I saw this deer coming through the thick stuff and could see it was a decent little buck. I was just watching him with my binos as he worked across in front of me. I was going to let him pass, but as he got closer I noticed he was acting funny as he walked. Once he got into a clear spot, I could see through my binos that his right rear leg was just hanging there....he had been shot right above the knee. It's likea war zone on opening day ofrifle around here.Since I knew I couldn't let him suffer, I quickly made the decision to put him down...and barely got him before he disappeared in the thicket, since I wasn't planning on shooting him and wasn't ready. Anyhow, he's not the buck I was after, but it did have a good ending to it.
My son was supposed to go out with me in the morning, but he was really tired and thought it was too cold. It was 20. So anyhow, he stayed home. After shooting the deer, it ran about 120yds with a double lung hit, and only 3 legs...they amaze me. I followed to it and then went back to the house and got my son. I told him I shot a buck and that I needed help finding it. He was pumped and ready to go. So we went out and I told him to see if he could find the blood. Well he conveniently found the blood trail (LOL, it was about 2ft wide)and I had him follow it all the way. He was pumped when we got to it! He helped me field dress it and drag it back to the house. He was really excited, so even though I wasn't real excited about the deer I got, and the circumstances of how I got it...it made it a great experience to share together.

Anyhow, I am off to WV for the entire week on our annual family hunt for opening week of rifle up there. I won't be around until I get back next Sunday. Then its back to bowhunting...I am determined to try and help the team before the season is out.

Good luck guys...I hope to see some more kills when I return!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:10 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

WV Hunter

Congrats on shooting the buck. Loved the part where you went to get your boy for help. You did two great things on that hunt... very impressive!! Congrats again!!

Tim
Old 11-19-2005, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

huntinwv: nice buck, he sures looks like he would score over 132.

wvhunter: you did the right thing taking that buck.

congrats to both of you on a good hunt.

i still have until the 13th of jan. to tag a buck
Old 11-23-2005, 07:23 AM

Fellas WV Hunter sent me a pm asking if I scored it right, well I probably didn't. I only did 3 circum. measurements on each side, below the brow tine, above the brow tine, and in between the two long tines. Is that right, or do I have one more? I'm going to be honest, this is the first time I have ever scored a deer. If I need that measurement it will be very easy to get.

Thanks for the help.

By the way, I hunt in Wyoming County.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:35 AM

I don't have exact measurements but tines were around 8" & 12" each side. Brow tines were like 5" and the other was 7". Main beam's were around 20". And themass measurementswas like from 4 1/2" to over 5" (that was only 3 measurements each side). Inside spread was 18 1/2".

Quick Reply: Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.