Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team 25 Thread

I will stick to it for sure, I live for these days!!! The deer aren't off there patterns, the numbers are down all over. They have been selling doe tags 1 a day to each person for the last couple of years and the preditors are really getting ahead of the game. Between the two, the deer herd had taken a large hit and it is being noticed all over. I know we have some nice bucks running around it is just amatter of time. My time will come, I just hate not seeing deer, makes for a boring hunt.

I did get out today for about 30 minutes. The wind was so strong I felt like I was on a bull ride and for safety sake, I got out of the tree and did a little scouting and cut the rest of my fire wood for camp. Found a few scrapes and a few more rubs, no where near what I have had in the past although the rut is way behind this year, it could turn around tomorrow. Anyway, good luck to all of you!!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:03 AM

Great job woodline!!!! I hope I can add some inches to help out.

Well, I've got good and bad news.

Good news is I get to hunt the 11th through the 27th. I got my new job and going to take two weeks before I start it. The timing for the rut was right on.

Bad news is the area I planned to hunt during the rut now has security guards that won't let people in there. There is only one way in to thousands of acres. I know one of the security guards and he will let me up there only when he works (just a couple of days a week). But all in all, its better than not hunting at all.

I won't be on the board as much with this new job, but I will be checking in as much as I can.

I'll keep everyone posted. Good Luck!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

finally got my first bow kill out of the way and now im waitin on a buck to come by. as long as its a buck hes goin down. i saw to bucks tonight but neither of them got within 45 yards. they were pretty territorial to each other. i think the rut will be gettin under way shortly here in illinois. goin to go out tomorrow morning and the rest of the weekend.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats 870! Now go get that buck!!!

I went out this evening for the last 2 hours. My buddy came over and I put him in one of my best spots for evening hunts. He saw 2 separate bucks, and said both had their noses to the ground. Both were not shooters though, small bucks. He also had a deer sneak in on him behind him...one solo deer just before dark. He turned and spooked it, but did not see what it was.

I didn't see anything on stand, but had a lone deer come within probably 40-50yds just after dark. I could hear it coming right as shooting light was fading, but it never made it all the way to me.I have no idea what it was, but it sounded like only 1 deer. I still have not seen any chasing, though I'm sure it has to be happening by now. Finally we got rid of the hot weather, and it has gotten alot colder. Supposed to be about 30 tonight, and mid 50's tomorrow. Perfect!

Today was the last "official" day of bow season here in VA where I live. Muzzleloading starts tomorrow. I will be out there with my son and we will give it a whirl. He's 8 and excited about "getting one". He's begging me to let him shoot one, but I'm not real sure yet. Maybe I will later in the season, gotta see how it all plays out. Sometimes he seems like he is totally ready, other times he's not even close. You guys with kids know what I'm talking about. I will still be bowhunting and my goal is to get one, but it won't be with the bow tomorrow. Who knows, maybe a mature buck will show up tomorrow

Good luck guys! Get those pics up and entries on the board! Heck then we'll only be about 400 points out of 1st [8D]It could happen....

Old 11-13-2005, 06:41 AM

Got'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shot him yesterday about midday. Didn't have a watch. [:@] I'm going right now to take pics and skin and all that good stuff.

The buck is a 8pt and probably one of the biggest 8's I've seen.

The rut is on right now!!!!

Old 11-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Awsome, cant wait to see the pics of the bucks taken on our team so far. Didn't make it out this morning due to rain and gail forced winds. I will be hitting it this afternoon for sure.

On an interesting note, I took my cousin in on our property to show him where he can post up for rifle season (I wont be there, I'll be at camp). On the way to one of my bow stands, to freshen a mock scrape, a spike came out of the woods right by a natural scrape and stayed within 20-40 yards from us following us to the stand site. Kind of erie but yet cool. He got to within 20 yards as I was working the mock scrape so I walked toward him and he went back in the woods further circling us. We left and he didn't follow us out. I was not dragging scent or did I have any open containers until I got to the site, must have been curiosity.

Congrats again to those who have scored, hope to add one of my own!!!!
Old 11-13-2005, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Good job huntinwv, way to add to our total. Good luck to everyone who is still hunting. Here is the photo of my buck, and he is on the scoring thread as well. He scored 107 gross.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woodline....great buck! Nice job

Huntinwv....awsome bud! Can't wait to see the pics!

We are finally getting somewhere (no thanks to me ). I sent a pm to JoeJr to get his pics posted, but have not heard back. Even though he said his deer was not real big, we need all the inches we can get.

I hunted yesterday with my son for the m/l opener. What a beautiful day. He is 8 and has been hunting with me since he was 4. This year I told him, he was going to have to tough it out and stay with me the entire time out....or he wasn't allowed to go. He said fine. Well dawn broke clear, deadly quiet, and cold (28). We were in the stand at 6am, ready. About 7:00 a lone doe came right under us. About 8:15 4 deer came behind us in the thick stuff, one was grunting. I finally saw them all, and if the "grunter" had horns, I surely couldn't see them. LOL. Then about 9:00 I saw movement way off, and through my bino's I could see 5 does followed by a nice big 4pt moving through the woods heading away from us. That was it for out morning. My son did good, though from 8-9am he just about had it. He was frozen, and pretty much miserable. I told him to tough it out and that he would warm up soon. (I don't think he believed me, though). Around 9 the sun got up, and he warmed up nicely, and we stayed until 11:30. That was a record for him 5.5hrs on stand. I told him I was proud of him and now he knows he can do it. He was proud of himself, too and bragged to mama and sis when we got home. I was not expecting it to be that cold, as this is the first good cold snap we've had. Heck last week it was 80. I am gonna buy him some hand warmers though. I think if I would have had those, he would have been totally fine.
I also hunted the evening (without him at a buddy's place). A saw a small 8pt and a 6pt and a doe. Passed them, too small.

I will be out more this week, hopefully with the bow. Our rifle season starts Sat here in VA, so I hope to try and connect before that happens....but who knows. Thanksgiving week I will be heading to our camp in WV for the opening of rifle season for the week. It's always fun. Then it will be back to my house for pretty much the rest of the season hoping to get my bowkill if I haven't already.

Good luck guysKeep on whackin' em!
Old 11-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Nice looking buck Woodline. I just came out of the woods after cutting some trees that fell in some shooting lanes and wouldn't you believe at 11:45am right in town where I live, 1 1/2 blocks from the highway was a nice 9 pt. chasing a doe right throug peoples yards and behind some storage sheds. My cousin and I wached for a couple of minutes and then busted to my house for the camera. When we got back we didn't see him then all of a sudden he bolted from behind the last storage shed and ran through town between houses jumped a taurus (right over the hood) and made his way towards the woods. We kept up to him for a bit but he was moving pretty good and all I wanted was a pic for everyone to see.

Go figure, you hunt for hours and see nothing and then come home and they are right in town where you live. He had 9 pts and about a 16-17 inch spread. Tines were 6 inches (G2) and progressively smaller from there. Brows looked to be 3 inches. A decent buck for our neighborhood. I guess they are starting to chase and that means I will be in my stand in about an hour.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:14 PM

Hey guys I'm not too good at this computer stuff. My buck is a 8pt that scores 132 1/2. My problem is hunt101 says my file is too large. Can someone give me a email address and I'll send it to them to get it posted.

I'll tell the story once it gets posted.

Nice buck woodline!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the kill

Quick Reply: Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.