Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 25 Thread

I finally got out on Wed. the 2nd.Very windy 20-25mph & 65 degrees.
4:30 I had a fork horn & 3x2 come 30 yards away-the 3x2 made a scrape & then they walked over the ridge out of sight. 10 min. later I have a small Doe pass 15 feet past my stand-smelling-she ends up by the scrape & then goes out of sight following where the Bucks went. About 5 min later a Huge Doe walks right past my stand-I have my bow all ready & am trying to turn my video camera to film-she is standing broadside at 10 yards-quartering away. Can't get the camera turned & she walks into the brush out of range-THEN an almost shooter 8 point walks up & stands 15 feet from my stand-lays his ears back & starts that "funny" walk. The big Doe comes to within 30 yards-I am still trying to turn my darn camera to film this scene & the small Doe comes trotting back-the little Doe & Buck are about 10 yards. He is quartered-broadside-looking away at the little Doe-all I have to do is draw back-BUT, I try one last time to get the camera loose to film-the 2 Does lead him up over the hill & out of sight. Nothing on film but a real fun time. I am hoping my daughter gets a crack at any of these Deer (her 1st year). IF I had not wanted the film I am sure I would have had the huge Doe. I would not have taken any of the Bucks-I am waiting for a biggie. So-I could have had a 30 yard shot at a 3x2-a 10 yard shot at either Doe & the nice 8 point. I am guessing the big Doe would go 175 live & the 8 point over 200 live. Good Luck fellas-I will have my Daughter out again this weekend-I will be hard at it for the rest of the season. Oh, this is the 1st time hunting this area also & is about an hours drive for me. I guess I picked a good spot for the stands...OH, my Daughter didn't want to be to high so my ladder stand seat is 9 feet. I usually have it at 15 feet. So, you don't have to be high enough to touch the clouds. Wind (strong)was from me to them. Congrats to you joejr69. Good luck fellas.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys....checking in.

Went to WV yesterday with high hopes. The first weekend in Nov has traditionally been really good for me up there over the years. Going in, I noticed alot of big tree branches on the ground, but didn't really give it much thought. Got in my stand before light, and got set. Daylight comes and the woods around my stand looks like a war-zone. Big tree limbs (full of leaves) down everywhere. Also some trees broken over and some uprooted as well. About a week & a half ago we had a real cold, rainy day througout the area. Turns out they got 5" of wet heavy snow up there...and with all the leaves still on, it made a mess. So about 7:00, I hear crunching coming. Spike buck. He wanders past and piddles around for a while before heading out. About 8:00 a nice gobbler flies off the roost about 40yds away, and lands about 30yds away. I figure, if I can get the chance, I'll try for him. No go. He got behind a huge fallen tree, and gave me no shot. Then he busted off in flight and was gone. About 1/2 hr later, 5 more birds come off the roost all around me. Our woods are weird this year...still about 75% of the leaves on, it's hard to see anything. 9:00, and I hear a bird gobbling up at the top of the ridge. Of course, I don't have my mouth calls with me, so I just start yelping with my mouth. He steadily gobbles and closes the distance to about 60yds. About that time, another gobbler down the ridge at the bottom starts up, along with some hens. Evidently they got my gobbler in a fuss, and he flies down to them. Oh well. Cool thing was, that then they started back up towards me, yelping, gobbling, etc. They couldn't have been more than 75yds away, but I couldn't see them. Then I heard the gobblers start to do the fighting purr. I have never personally heard that in the wild before. They were going crazy, then they started to fight. I wish I could have seen it, but hey it was cool to hear it so close. That was it for my morning. By 10:30 it was so hot, I had to get down. It got to almost 80 yesterday. I headed back out in the evening to another stand I have hung. The wind was just right. It's right on the edge of a small laurel thicket where at least 1 mature buck beds regularly. I was hoping I may get a chance. Only saw 1 hen turkey, right before dark. So at dark I gather my stuff, and head out. I get down to the farmhouse, and the farmer says "did you hear my dog barking?" Yep, I did. He says he was barking at 2 nice bucks up on the hill, coming out of that area you were in. LOL, my luck. The 2 bucks apparently were in the laurel, but right before dark, they came out of it on the other end out into the pasture. Close, but no cigar.[&:]I was a little disappointed that it was so hot yesterday. I hope it cools down soon. Action has been nil so far, for me at least. I am going to try and get out 1 time this week if possible. I have been so busy, I just haven't had time to hunt much this seasonI will be hunting with the muzzleloader next sat with my 8yr old son. He can't wait to go out, so I'm excited about that. Only problem is I can't make a bowkill with my m/l. But all my bow spots he can't go with me. Anyhow...maybe we'll be able to take a nice one with the m/l. It should be fun anyhow!

Good luck guys...

Old 11-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Made it out yesterday morning and hit my new stand sight where the 9 pt. has been seen. I didn't see a deer the whole morning but did a a coyote come in behind me 30 yards away. I made some squeeking noise with my mouth and stopped him, he turned around and stopped agiain in the only opening I could really see him in. I squeeked some more but he just scent checked the air and made his way into the swamp. If he would only have come in front of me he would have been eating a Rocky Mountain Snyper. This is the first coyote I have ever seen on our property in all the years I have been hunting there. We see them all the time on my in-laws property, a hour away from this one. The woods got unbelievably quiet when he came running through. It was cool to see but I don't want them hanging around!!!

Did do a little scouting and made a couple mock scrapes. Found 2 scrapes and only one rub, a very non productive year for sign which is unusual. Will be going out tonight and sitting one of the mock scrapes, hope to see something!!!! We did get a lot of rain and a little snow this morning that turned to sleet so the should be moving.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

We had our grand opening this week so I didn't get outas much as I was hoping. I went out last night and saw a 85-90 class 8 point, a couple of does, and a fork horn. The little bucks are chasing does pretty heavily and responding to the horns. It shouldn't be long for the big boys start in too. I will be out a little more this week. I think next weekend will be the good one. Good luck to everyone!!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Well I didn't get to go out this weekend. I'm in the middle of changing jobs after 4yrs with this place. I will get to hunt the 12th through the 27th. I'll be in and out of here, but I'll keep ya'll posted.

Good luck to all!

Are we on the board yet? I thought joe got one...
Old 11-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I have to say after this past weekend that things are rather slow and the deer numbers are way down for my area. I have never sat a weekend and not have any deer sightings from the stand. Three years ago I would see 15-20 deer at particular stand location and 6-10 at another (crossing area and a funnel) this year I have been lucky to see as many as 5 at one and haven't seen a single deer at the other. I have pictures of the best day where I had 5 does and one spike through out the entire day come by and that was over my clover plot. Last year the average was 5-10 deer at any one time so the numbers are deffinately down. I hope as the rut kicks in that the big boys start moving around a little more and that maybe more deer will be cruising the woods. I had all I could do to keep my eyes open Sunday night, probably the most boring time I have had on the stand yet, ever!!!

I have another stand local on the property that looks promising but wont hit that until the rut gets going, it is a good funnel area right off a small creek we have running through the property. Two heavy trails intersect at this spot, one that crosses the creek and the other that cuts between a balsam thicket. I am set up about 22 yards south of the intersection, perfect for the common northwest winds we have in our area this time of year. I will be out again Wednesday. We will see where the wind puts me and where the honey do list sits, that will let me know how long I can stay out in the woods. Hope the action picks up soon so I can add to the team score. Later!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Well guys, my season is over. I scored on a very nice 7 point buck tonight. He is going to score around 110", give or take a couple of inches. I went out to the timber about 4:30 tonight and bumped a nice buck and a doe from their beds. They were bedded within 10 yards of my stand. I thought I was in for a long night. They dashed for the corn and I settled in. About 4:45 I caught a glimpse of this buck coming toward me. All I could see was his rack and knew he was mine if he came by. Within seconds he was within 20 yards and I put the arrow on the money. He went about 50 yards and piled up. I hope to put a picture, and get him entered sometime later this week. Good luck to everyone else. I will be rooting for you.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Woodline!!! Glad to see someone is getting some action. I wish I had corn around my woods, at least we have oaks. Can't wait to see the pics. Again congrats, I am glad it all came together for you!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Woodline!!!

Congratulations to you and your team!!

I can't wait to see the pics....
Old 11-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Woodline!!!Way to go!!!

Can't wait to see the pics! Wow, you are done...man that is so strange to hear somebody say that. I have hardly hunted, and you are done. Well good for you, glad you got a nice one

UP...hang in there bud, your time will come. That does seem kinda strange that you usually see so many deer and this year not much at all. Are the food patterns drastically different this year or something? Anyhow, keep at it, you'll get one. The rut isstarting to heat up here I think, seeing alot of road kills lately. Although the weather has sucked...warm as can be. Right now it is probably 55-60 degrees outside, feels like sept. It's supposed to get colder this weekend. I sure hope so.

So what happened to Joe's deer? I know he said he got one...but it looks like he hasn't registered him yet. I'll see if I can track him down. I hope to head out Friday, but am not sure yet if I will be able too.

Good luck guys!

Quick Reply: Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.