Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 25 Thread

Good luck huntinwv! I haven't been out much. I took my oldest out earlier in the week for her first ever deer hunt. We had a doe and 2 fawns pass by the stand. She was so excited, as was I. I think she is hooked now. I went out tonight and got skunked again. It is so warm and the full moon aren't helping any. Only 3 weeks until things should really start to heat up. Good luck everyone!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys

Back from opening day in WV. I wish I could say that I had some points for the team, but nope. It was agood day though. In the morning I had a doe & two fawns come directly under my stand, followed by a nice basket 6pt. Passed them. I also saw a spike out of range.
Around lunchtime the wind got up big time (30mph steady) so that folied my original evening hunt plans that I had. No way was I getting up in the stand I had planned on. I had to revert to a spot that was somewhat out of the wind. I took my climber and up I went. About 6:00 I had 2 small bucks come behind me, about 35yds. A wide forkhorn, and another basket 6 six that had a real pretty rack...he has some potential if he can make it a couple more years. I watched them for a while as they browsed. I also saw3 does & 3 fawns later on, but passed them as well. Not a bad day overall, 13 deer total, and 4 different bucks...and passed opportunities in both the morning and evening. Can't complain. As busy as I have been lately, it was nice just to get out.

I'm going to try and get out this week during the week at least once.

So how about everyone else?

Good luck guys!

Old 10-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like an enjoyable day WV. Good luck this week! I got out again last night. It has been so hot, and a full moon, that my brother-in-law and I decided to set up on different sides of a section last night. I was able to see two small bucks lock horns, just feeling each other out. I also had a doe come up beside me and a couple other deer that it was too dark to tell. This is the section that we have been seeing a number of Pope and Young bucks in. There is a lot of corn in this section, and adjoining sections, and I believe that to be where they are. My brother-in-law didn't see a thing, so I think they are running it at night. I will be getting out more this week, and hopefully can find where they have went to. Good luck to everyone!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:01 AM

Glad to hear everyone is getting out and enjoying themselfs!

No luck over the weekend but it sure was nice get out and finally hunt. The morning hunt was uneventful, just a bunch of squirrels. The evening hunt I had two fawns around me the whole time. Yesterday was more of a scouting trip. Saw a bear, rattlesnake, and a bunch of hens. I'm just trying to stay out of my best places till the rut comes. Early season here is very hard to hunt. Too much food and too much woods! (Acorns are everywhere, with access to thousands of acres). It's ok, the rut is not far away.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Glad to hear everyone is seeing something!!! I went out this weekend and didn't see anything on Sat night nor Sunday morning. Had a bunch of crows sounding off not too far from me and were they loud!! Couldn't find what they were after but did some scouting in the process. I won't be out again until the end of the month when we have a bowhunting weekend up at camp. We have some friends come up from lower Michigan and have a good time!! We hunt pretty hard for the whole weekend and last year was a great one for me so hopefully it happens again. I passed on an awsome 6pt. in hopes of a larger deer this year, hope to see him again!!!!

Guys, I have had a lot of action in my woods during the mornings after a full moon. I just get between the bedding and feeding early and cut them off. I have only shot a couple this way but have seen many younger bucks come by.

Good luck everyone, I will keep all posted of my sitings and if I get some nice pics I will send them your way!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys

I managed to make it out one evening this week. Bumped about 5-6 deer out on the way in to my stand Most looked like does, but I couldn't see them all.

I didn't see anything on stand until about 6:15. Crunch, crunch...here he comes.... a raccoon. LOL, right down the deer trail. Goes down and crosses the creek and disappears. About 10 minutes later...crunch, crunch, crunch. I'm ready this time. Coming from behind me, down the same trail...another coon. I couldn't believe it.Too funny. He followed exactly where the other one went across the creek. I though I was deer hunting Darn raccoon trails...so much for my scouting [8D]

That was it for that evening. Tomorrow I start a 3 day training class, so I am done for at least a week or so. That's ok...I just know that my team is gonna have some points on the board by the time I get back!

Good luck guys!

~Mike

Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 AM

Crunch, crunch...coons LOL

I will be out sat and sun. I'm trying to get a doe in the bow only county. Just trying to do my part to keep the guns out.

I'll keep ya'll posted.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 AM

No luck over the weekend. [:@]

I've been staying out of my best places till the rut. Just scouting around. It is very hard for me to stay out because I haven't seen alot of deer. I'm guessing it is because there is sooo much food they just don't have to move as much.

When do ya'll think the rut will come? Everything I hear and read is around Nov. 14. That would be awesome because I have two weeks off starting Nov. 12th.

Hope ya'll are doing better than me!!!! Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

I went out again tonight and finally got to see one of the bucks I'm after. He was chasing a doe, and grunting up a storm. He even lip curled a couple of times. It was awesome to see, just wish he would have came in that last 100 yards. I think it is going to get better this weekend and into next week. I think I may start to try some light rattling and see what happens. I hope you are all having some luck! Only a couple more weeks until we can get some points on the board. Let's go get em everyone!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

hey team i scored on a 6point last night.i'll try and get pics up tommorow.the weather has been terrible here in ny,really busy at work so i took what gave me a shot.i got in the stand at 4:00 took the horns out and gave them a couple bangs and hung them up.4:45 i see a deer moving in the tall brush he makes his way out to the old logging trailand starts my way.the wind was blowing right at him,every step he takes he will stop and look up into the trees,nose in air i,m like oh he's going to split any minute.i make my mind up now or never i have one chance to draw on him when he walks by the big tree in front of me,i,m at full draw when he steps by the tree and when he does he stops and looks right up at me,so i put the pin behind the shoulder and release.sweet shot double lung watch him go about 35yards and i here him go down.so i wait a bit get down and sneak out.i went and got my son,mybuddy and his son .its 7:00now so we head in to my stand and i show the boys where my arrow is and the blood on the ground,told them which way the deer went and handed them the lantern.it took them about 15 minutes to find the deer the were so pump up it was great to see that.they really did a good job and took there time,my son is 12 buddies is 10.i really didn't want to shoot one that small but after watching the boys it was worth it.pics tommorow good luck team

Quick Reply: Official Team 25 WIDE (25) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.