Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team  "The Bad News Bucks" (4) Thread >

Official Team "The Bad News Bucks" (4) Thread

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team "The Bad News Bucks" (4) Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "The Bad News Bucks" (4) Thread

Congrats T.. great looking buck. Don't loose faith in your team, many of us are still waiting for the rut to heat up. We'll score some more.. don't worry about that. I know I haven't thrown in the towel yet!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I let You Guys Down
Man oh man,did I blow it this morning fellas. I was on stand at 7:10am and was ready by 7:15,a 150 5x5 walks by at 40 yards but is still to dark to make out my pins, it's a full moon. Quiet till10, then I hear snap of a branch and look down thinking it's a squirrel that's been making all kinds of noise as big as a deer,LOL.
Well it is a deer,right below my stand and I don't know how he came in so quiet when there's 2 billion leaves on the ground. I heard the other deer come in at 40 yards earlier,go figure.Well I stand up and grab my bow all in one motion,then look down through my stand at the buck,he's got his nose in the air smelling my 2 scent bombs I have out across the trail. He takes 2 steps to the side and I do the same thing to change my stance.
That's when I relize he's a shooter a perfect 6x6, 190 plus buck. His antlers are almost brown and thick as my wrist,all I could do was watch the thickness all through the tips and the beams. This is a hog! He was at least 3feet wide with a saddle for a back with a foot wide of snow sittin on his back. I'd have to say he was 400lbs plus,heaviestdeer I have ever seen alive.
As I turn and step to draw my bow, the stand creaks, man now I know how deer can duck arrows from 20 yards.He was flat on his belly instantly.Never seen anything like it in my life, and was gone 20 yardsright now. He was still interested in my scent bombs but was in thick underbrush,so I drew hoping he would step out onto the cutline. He decide not this time. It was a great day when you can see an Alberta hog of this stature even though I never saw another deer all day.
Made my season that did. Well as I can see 2 good bucks and one dominate buck still with no does. That tells me the doe's aren't ready yet or else that buck would have been with 4 or 5 does. Back at er tomorrow guys. Good luck and be safe.
God Bless
Youngfart [:@]
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Forget Yesterday
Went out in the am yesterday only to get blown around and then had some snow by 8:30am then rain by 10am till noon. That was all I could take ,went home and dried out for today.
Got in by 7:20 am and was all settled in then by 9am I see some guys yelling info to one another. As they get closer to my stand I stand and aim at the one fella till he marks my tree I'm in, LMAO. I drop not one but 2 twigs on him before he looks up and just about peed himself LOL.
I asked him what they were up too? He said their marking out the bush for rezoning. So I lose out to apartments next year,I'll lose this awsome tract of land inside the city limits of Edmonton to some highrises. It had to come sooner or later ,just wished it was later. This tract of bush holds some fond memoiries and also held some quality deer.So of I go home for some lunch then back at her for the afternoon.
I decide to try my luck with a doe decoy at the new property were all the action was the other day. Set the decoy up by 1:30 and saw nothing till 10 minutes before dark as a buck about 300 yards away on the other side of the field came out. I stand anddoe grunt to him, he looks up and sees the decoy. Makes a beeline for the decoy as I pick up the bow to get ready. I notice he's a good buck about a 140 5x5. He looks the decoy over for a minute then jumps the fence and decides to get a look at her from downwind.
I come to full draw as he aproaches my stand and no shot. He stands under my stand and looks the decoy over again and grunts to it. Meanwhile I'm still at full draw,he decide's not today and so did I as I let of on my draw. As he's walking down the trail I start to wonderif I should have let him walk. Well I still have 2 weeks of hunting left and only now are the better deer starting to show themselves. Hopefully I can fill my tag and not let my team down before the season goes out the door. Maybe thats where I'll be said my wife if I don't get some venision soon LOL.
Anyone got a room I can rent , LMAO Good luck guys and shoot straight.
God Bless
Youngfart [8D]
Old 11-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Saturday Morning Hunt
Took the day off on Friday as it was a wind storm all day. Decided to be on stand at 1st lite after the wind storm on Friday,Staurday morning. Started of quiet ,very quiet,I hadn't been in this stand all year and it is a proven stand as it has given me some wall hangers and some friends their best deer have come from it also.
Well it was quiet till 8am when I 1st heard that unmistakable sound of dry leaves crunching under the sound of hoofs. Along out of the east came 3 doe's of off the feilds from eating all night. I stand and grab my bow,as I'm getting meat for the table now,1st deer in site is table fare.They stop and head south which will put them out of bow range at 65 yards.They meander out to the frozen pond and start frolicking about.
I sit back down and pick up my binoc's to watch them fool around with one another when out of the west comes a doe racing down hill towards me with her tougue dangeling out of her mouth. Right back on my feet I get and grab the bow again as I know this could only mean a buck is on her trail,I come to full draw, then out of the under brush come's this little assmongrel dog barking it's little ass mouth off.A thought runs through my mind should I shoot it???
I sit back down to ponder what had just went on when out of the same bush comes a yote on the run. LMAO now I'm rooting for the yote to eat the mongrel dog, LOL. Well the darndest thing I have ever seen unfolds right in front of me. They start playing with one another,then to top it off here come'sa german sheperd to join in and the 3 are now playing [].
Then all came quiet againtill 10am when I said to myself this hasbeen the time I have been seeing the bigger deer make an appereance, I stand to strech when out of the corner of my eye I see movement in the same area I had seen the doe's enter the area earlier.
He decides to go another route as I get up and grab my bow.I make a few doe grunts and wait,5 minutes later my patience pays off as I see the sun reflecting of off antler. The deer made a longer redirection as it scented the does then made a beeline to follow their scent line. All to no avail as he did follow their scent line taking him on the same path at 65 yards. 15 yards past my comfort zone. I watched as this shooter, a 5x6 170ishbuck makes his way to safety.Well I'm seeing shooter's on consecutive daysnow ,but still with out does on hand. [>:]
Well 2 weeks to goguys, wish me luck as that is what it looks like I'll need to score on one of these great Alberta big bucks. Best of luck to my team mates, hold your heads high as this has been a journey in itselffellas. This is the 1st time I have had a pressure for me to scorein my hunting life. It's starting to get fun . I'll be back on stand Tuesday night.
Youngfart
Old 11-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Monday
Well Monday was a bust as I was in the wrong stand as I watcheda 140 buck walk right by my other stand 60 yards away. That was at 10:20am, I was almost going to move to that stand ,but I thought,this stand has just as much sign as the other one,give it some time!
Good thing cause at 11:20 the bush came to life 60 yards away,I stood imediatly and grabbed my bow as the Alberta monach walked out into the open at 55yards. His neck swollen and looked to me to be around the 180 mark or more. A great 5x5 with dark coloured tines and weighing close to the 300 pound mark.
He made his way down to the frozen pond that was out in front of me and started to get water from the edge of the ice,he slurped for a minute and the looked to go the other way. I said a quick prayer hoping to make him come back my way. It worked, he took 3 step's and was on my scent line to my scent bombs in front of my stand at 10 yards.
As he raised his nose to my scent bomb I was at full draw and zoned in and released all in one motion. I sawas he dropped about a foot at the sound of the release. Dang I had shot high and the arrow was through equally on both side's of his backbone. This all happened so quick and he was off and runnin.
I watched as he ran a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds flat.I saw where he entered the bush and listened for a few more seconds as I heard the sound of that fatal crash.I sat down and ate therest of my power bar and waited a 1/2 hour before I lowed my gear and went to the truck and changed. Made a phone call to my partner and he was on his way.
We took up on his trail 2 hoursafter the shot. We found the arrow about 300 yards from where I saw him enter the bush. Blood was scarce and we tracked till dark,all in all we tracked4 and a 1/2 hours till we saw he entered a feild. The field was a mile across and a mile wide, this deer was abvioulsy hurt but not that hurt to die from. We concluded that the deer will live another day and I will lay in bed tonight with what else should I have done to make the shot right. I zeroed in on his heart and release fromthe corner of my mouth. It's amazing how a deer can drop below an arrow at 10 yards going247fps . Now I have seen both side of the deer at how they can react to sound. Truly a learning experience and hopefully it will makeme a better hunter
Deer 2 Youngfart O [:@]
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Typical Buck

Tuesday Afternoon Hunt
Well folks my partner and I got into our stands by 2 this afternoon and the winds were high till 4:45 then it all went silent. I had a thought this stand was right but not a movement through out the afternoon would agree with what I had just suggested. The wind was out of the west and all of a sudden their was a doe at 40 yards south of me on the hilltop.
I stood and grabbed my bow,but the deer was fixated on me right of the bat. She came down to with in 15 feet of my stand and right to my 3 scent bombs hanging and smelled each one.All the time with me within her sight so that I couldn't draw.
Off and out to the north she went unscathed to live another day. I sat down dejected that with all the does I have had in my sights this year and I still haven't taken a shot. Then the crunch crunch crunch of hooves in the leaves and 2 more big does stood atop the hilltop.
This time I wasn't going to be out smarted, I waited till the lead doe came toward me a few steps then when she bent to chew on some grass I drew. All of a sudden the doe behind her took a few fast steps and got in front of her. I still was at full draw and then I had to lean out from my stand so my bow wouldn't snap on the branch as I released my arrow. I released and wasn't sure where the arrow had hit. I felt it was a good shot and this time the deer didn't duck the arrow.
I sat down and watched the doe run west and then I heard the crashing sound of deerhitting the ground.Time was 4:42 and I slowly lowered my gear to the ground,then I climbed down and went over and stepped of the distance to the deer. 18 yards and no arrow,phew. After yesterday I was starting to wonder if it was me. I felt good on the shot but didn't get a pass through, again No blood then,so I walked out to meet mypartner and we went back in with lights but could only find alittle blood,we decided to make the short drive home for better lights and another set of eyes.
Well it was 8pm by the time we were back in the bush and hot on the doe's trail. The blood wasn't that great but we found her,she had travelled about 140 yards and she was almost all gone from the local heard of yotes.It had only taken the yotes 3 hours to devour about a 150 pound doe. Two days and 2 deer down,but nothing to show for it. Well back at her again in the am,Good luck and shoot straight guys.
Youngfart []
Old 11-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Wednesday Morning
Got into my stand by 75am so I had a ton of time to kill before sunup at 8:05. Started to hear the fence tingle each time a deer would jump or go through the fence from the field to start filtering back to their beddingarea.
Never saw a deer all morningbut did hear numerous deer within hearing rang till 9am. At 10:40 I heard what must have been a buck chasing a doe within a 100 yards of me but no visual sighting.
My partner wentout in the afternoon and also saw zippo. Were starting to wonder if the deer are finished with the rut and are starting to get back to normalto their normal routine's. The weather is finally supposed to turn for the worse starting Monday and their calling for snow for the 1st 3 days of next week. I'll hunt this afternoon and tomorrow morning. Then that'll be it till Tuesday of next week. Good luck hunting and be safe.
God Bless
Youngfart [8D]
Old 11-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Thursday Night
A bust folks ,didn't even see a deer,but on my drive to my area I did see 6 different bucks crossing feilds. Not sure whats happening here,I'm tending to think the rut is winding down and almost over. The imature bucks are probably the ones wondering looking for something that need's a little loving. Back atit next week guys, I'm gonzo for the weekend,good luck and shoot straight.
Youngfart [:'(]
Old 12-02-2005, 10:09 AM

Sorry guys! My season ended this past Sunday, and I was unsuccessful. Archery season ended the 16th of October, but I was still after the deer with my bow, with no success. We do have a hunt on the prison grounds that goes until the end of Jan, and you can harvest bucks, but I don't know if I will make it over there. Anyway good luck to the rest of you. Sorry I was unable to contribute. First year in many that I haven't shot a buck.

Hyde
Old 12-04-2005, 12:33 AM
Typical Buck

Hyde
Hey bud ,chalk it up as a year of experience,we learn all the time from being in the feild,hold your head hi. It's been a joy talking and meeting all of you from this team,I have 2 more days till my season is over and maybe , just maybe if I'm lucky I'll score on a late season buck. Two more afternoon hunts and that's it for me too Hyde,and the best thing about this season is that I shot a resonable buck, but sure got the use of learning the tricks to tracking with out snow. Not once but twice. So I walk away from this season with that in my pocket and of course meeting the crew from this team.
Youngfart

Quick Reply: Official Team "The Bad News Bucks" (4) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.