Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread! >

Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Well i Scored for us on my first trip to the southern tier. I was hunting in Cameron, NY. I dont know alot about scoring deer but i believe it will score somewher between 70 and 90. It is a decent sized 8 pointer. My father in law shot a very impressive ten point that we were unable to find after two days of searching. About two hours after he hit his buck i started trailing it for him. I followed the blood trail for a good 300 yards with great blood. It started to dry up a little and after another 250 yards it was basically a drop here and there. I held off for another hour just incase it had bedded again. It crossed a road and headed up a hill onto state land. I followed ver slowly and was hoping to walk upon it. The deer made it all the way up a very steep hillside and the blood was gone at the top. Although it opened into about 40 acres of large pines. There were a bunch of thickets in the pines so i still hunted in there hoping he picked thicket and bedded. After about ten minutes i kicked two large doe out of one of the thickets. Since i had seen many bucks trailing ealier that morning i decided to sit still hoping one would follow there back trail into the same area. No joke, before i even finished thinking that my buck was at 80 yards with its nose to the grindstone. It was making a b line right for me. The wind was in my favor and the trees were planted in rows and we were at a diagonal so he couldnt make me out from the rest of the undergrowth. I waited until he was about 30 yards and drew my bow. He presented an 18 yard slightly quartering towards shot. I took the shot and hit one lung and the liver. THe arro exited through the back right leg getting an artery there as well. He went all of 50 yards and just dropped. It was a pretty exciting hunt considering it was not a conventional bowhunting strategy. I was simply helping a fellow hunter and i got lucky in doing so.
Here he is:

I plan on going back down but i wont be hunting for horns until shotgun opens.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice congrates
Old 11-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go !!!!! Congrats on your eight!!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright! Nice buck and way to put some more points on the board! Congrats on a beautiful animal.

I would like to say I have some good news to report, but the only thing on the headlines of my hunting diary right now is "Wow, I suck." [:'(] I got a shot at a beauty on Sunday morning and I have no idea what happened. To put it simply - I choked. 25 yards, broadside, just below eye level with me, and I hit him high. When I say high I mean about 1" down from the top of his back, above the spine. When I saw him take off with his tail up across a cut bean field I wanted to throw my bow out of the stand. We gave it three hours before looking, found 2 minor drops of blood, and then nothing. We looked and looked just hoping maybe I caught some lung or artery but it was pointless. No blood, no tracks, no sign of the buck to be found. I'm 100% confident that he's still alive though. My arrow had nothing but fat, meat, and dark (nearly black) hair on it. I was about as close to missing this deer as you could get without actually missing him. I'm still sick to my stomach about it. [:'(] He was every bit of 130"+. Blech.

Sunday evening I had a great 1 1/2 year old 8 point come right under me after I grunted him in but instead of shooting him with my bow, I used the videocamera instead. I got some great footage of him so when I get around to it I'll try putting a small clip together and uploading it. It'll be my first forary into video work on my computer so I hope I can figure it out.

Well, the rut is on and I'm not giving up now. I'm off work Thursday and Friday so I plan on sitting all day. Wish me luck, and hope I don't choke again.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 AM

I haven't been around in a while. The rut is starting to kick in here and I am hoping to rattle in a big 'un. Congrats B&C nice one! Good luck to everyone.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have been absent much as of late as well. I wish I could say I was hunting but both of my jobs are actually keeping me quite busy. Congrats on the buck B and C. It looks like a bruiser. Good luck to the rest of you.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Conrates B & C ,good work!I have been hunting hard,only have missed 3 days since the 15th.I have seen a couple dandys,was even drawn on a large non-typical but couldn't find a clear shot[:@]I harvested a doe(Slick tricks work as advertised!)I also hit an 8 pt buck but as luck is running he took a step at the release,he was severly quartering away so my behind the last rib aim turned into an into the ham shot[:'(]I still had great penetration and drove the arrow in with only a bit more than the fletchings showing.I waited an hour got down and found blood at the hit sight,I then left the woods and returned late afternoon.I followed the trail for afew hundred yards,then I lost it.I looked the rest of that day and again the next but no luck.Then exactly 1 week later Sun. morning after a week of very warm days I rounded the corner of a large corn plot and caught a wiff of something.I back up and used my nose and found the buck in the corn dead with my arrow still in him.It had penetrated into the paunch and I think may have caught liver,but due to the smell I wasn't able to preform a full autopsy.Makes me sick to have an animal wounded and not found.So I'm still plugging away,I only have a day or 2 left to hunt with my bow as I leave for a Texas whitetail hunt Sun.I'll be hunting hard tommarow and Saturday,We finally have a cold snap now and I saw a Great 150 to 160 class buck chasing a doe last friday 70 yards infront of my stand just before dark.Good luck to all and great work to all who have harvester!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a bruiser this morning, but as they quite often do he outsmarted me and I never got a shot. He was coming in perfect to my grunt call down the edge of a standing corn field that would bring him within 15 yards but at the last minute he turned and cut across the fencerow into another field to scent check the bottom before going in. The only thing he smelled was me and that was all she wrote. [:@]

Saw one doe tonight and that was it. I'll be up tomorrow bright and early and back at it again. You've gotta love it!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey do you guys think I can enter this guy in the contest??? This is my Kudu Bull from the Namibian Mountains!! I had an amazing time in Africa! I'm leaving the Jo-burg airport in a few hours and when I get home I'll post the whole deal on my Hunt in Namibia! Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2005, 04:04 PM

Way to go BC !!! Hope I can see one soon. Still hot here and no rain going on about 40 days. I will be at a water hole in the morning. Will have to hunt with the bow instead of the gun during the rut in December if I want to get a decent buck. Right now they are hard to pattern. I have seen one decent Buck twice from about 200yards moved closer and he came out about 200yds. from there go figure. Well I will have to go deeper I guess but everything is so dry its hard to get close without being busted. Good Luck guys.

Quick Reply: Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.