Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread! >

Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Another unproductive outing for me this morning. I was hoping the cold front would get the deer moving but I didn't see much movement. One deer - couldn't tell what it was - out in an alfalfa field just after daylight on the other side of some trees about 80 yards from me and that was it. Didn't sit long as I had to get into work and it was pretty windy.

Tomorrow night we leave for our weekend in S. IL so I'm crossing my fingers!
Old 10-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck Justin. It looks like I am going to be washed out here until Monday at the earliest.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ok, it has been 3 days and nobody has posted...and the thread was all the way back on the second page. Has anybody been out and what did you see?

I am heading out tomorrow morning to fill one of my doe tags. If I see anything or hook up with one I will post it.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got home from Southern IL - fixin' to get some sleep here pretty soon. It was a great weekend for seeing deer, just not for shooting them. Between the three of us that hunted we saw 4 different bucks, about a half a dozen does, 4 coyotes, some wood ducks, raccoons, squirrels, a blue heron, and one tom turkey.

I spotted a nice buck this morning about 200 yards away across a bean field for a brief second and he was gone. Looked to be in the 120-130 class. I got the binos on him for just a split second and he looked to be a real nice 8 pt. Other than that, just 1 1/2 old bucks roaming the countryside.

2 weeks before we go back down to hunt again - maybe I'll have some luck at home in the meantime. 267 miles door to door and now it's time to get some sleep!

Justin
Old 10-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

Stands are set and ready to go for Sat. Oct 15 NY opener.We have a bumper crop of mast this year,and I'm hunting a transition area just off a ridge loaded with acorns,beach,and hickory nut.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad to hear the updates guys.

Justin,

Sounds like you had a great time regardless of whether or not you brought something home.

George,

Good luck...it is almost here.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 AM

I posted this in the bowhunting forum got a response from PA but I thought I would post it here as well to see what you guys thought.

This picture is of a prospective spot to bowhunt. The blue lines indicate the area I am going to try to set up. The field labeled sunflowers has sunflowers in it. I think it looks like a really good pinch point where all of the ridges kind of flow together. Plus there is water around too. The back side there is open grass. So I think the deer mostly stay in the rolling hills of the spill piles. I also talked to a buddy that hunts the area alot and he said that there is a good trail that goes through there.I am going to go out within the next couple of nights to check it out for sure. What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2005, 05:49 PM

Well I went and checked it out again. It looks pretty promising. And I know there are some monsters in this area. I am going out Sat. morning to find a high point and watch the deer move.Maybe pinpoint a little better then. And maybe dosomespot and stalking after they bed if no shot presents itself. Looks like good activity on the back side of the sunflowers closest to the ridge. There is a good water source and I think I found a possible bedding area near by.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey all I'm back from Michigan! No deer but I did get a turkey with my bow! Pretty stoked! The first night I had 15 deer under my tree at once but didn't shoot because it was the first night of a week long. They milled about for a half an hour! All does and 1 spike! I saw deer every time on stand but only 2 different shot ops! I did have 4 bucks come into the field one after another! They seem to still be grouped up! All in all this was a great week of hunting. Between 6 of us we got 5 Turkeys, 3 Grouse and 1 Deer! For 4 of us this was our first turkey!!!!! I was pretty stoked that my brother and I both got birds! A good time had by all!!! I go be going back out to some public land in the area on Thursday morning! I get some pictures up soon!
Old 10-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome, I'm still looking for my first turkey w/a bow! Hopefully one makes the mistake of walking by me this year!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get them up but in the meantime, I feel like sneaking out of the office early for an evening hunt. It's nice and overcast and cool out today - hopefully the deer are on their feet and feeding.

Quick Reply: Offical "Perfect Tens" (10) Team Thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.