Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team Fear This (24) Thread >

Official Team Fear This (24) Thread

2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Fear This (24) Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Default RE: Official Team Fear This (24) Thread

Nice buck Haz. Sorry no luck here.I hunted youth weekend
with my daughter and my dad went with my son. Erin and I saw
12 deer in 2 days. Dad and Devon didn't see any. Erin is going
to become a very good hunter. She took a nice 122lb doe the
last night. She passed on all fawns and does with fawns.
1 shot at 133yds and the deer went 75 yards. On a side note.....
I gota call from a writer for the VT life Mag.they are doinga
story about women and hunting. They came and interviewed Erin
for about a hour. The guy wants to come hunting with us Sunday.
This should be fun.

I havehad to work thisrifle season so not much time to hunt other
than eve's. Took the kids and satafter work. We saw a few spikes
and lots of does. Boy they get so excited..... We had a spike at 50
yds and watched him walk. Not legal here. I did shoot a 3 pointer
yesterday. Not very big, but withno time left torifle hunt I'll take
it.

Bow season is done for me.Muzzleloader season starts next weekend.
I plan to take a couple of days off and do some tracking. The rut is
late soshould get a shot at a nice buck. Good Luck,

G
Old 11-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, sorry for my lack of updates.

My vacation back during the week of 11/5-11/12 started late due to my fiance being in the ER. I was able to get out of there on Monday when she was doing better, and ended up hunting Monday evening and all day tuesday above Oneonta NY.

Monday evening, I had a hot doe come through about 60 yards from me, and a minute later one of the top 3 bucks I have ever seen came crashing through after her. I don't know exactly what he was, but he did stop in the open facing directly away from me at one point and he was at least 3" wider than his rear end on both sides, and looked to be about 20" wide total. I think he was a 130" class 9 pointer, but not sure on the definite number of points though. About 10 minutes later 2 other deer came down the same trail, nose to the ground, one was a decent 2 1/2 year 8 pointer that was about 15" wide, and the other was a spike. The 8 got irritated with the spike and chased him directly under my tree.........the spike was under me at this point and the 8 was 30 yards away completely broadside and in a shooting lane. I decided to pass them both despite the clean shots offered in hopes of the bigger buck coming back through, or possibly coming down the same trail the next evening. The evening came to a close with another yearling 4 pointer coming down the same trail about 20 minutes later and staging up 50 yards from me waiting for dark to go out into a field to feed.

I moved the climber a bit the next evening to get closer. About 20 minutes before dark the next evening, I had a group of deer come through, I had a shot opp on a big mature doe that was in front of the group of deer but I passed to see what exactly the animals were behind her hoping for a buck in follow........nothing but one other very small 1 1/2 year old doe, and 2 little fawns.

Tuesday evening I headed down to PA to hunt my property, and throughout the week I ended up seeing several 1 1/2 year bucks, and one decent looking 2 1/2 year buck that should be a big boy next year. I also saw many does within range, but always in groups and I was always curious to see what was in follow so I passed them.

The very last day of my hunt on Saturday evening I ended up with a 1 1/2 year doe feeding in slowly from 40 yards out to directly under my tree, and because I had a 3 1/2 hour drive that evening I decided to pass her so I didn't have to gut her and track her with the long trip ahead.

The coolest part of the hunt is that my father was able to score on a doe in PA with his bow. I got him back into bowhunting a few years ago. This is his 3rd season bowhunting out of the last 25 years or so, he hasn't killed a deer with his bow for close to 30 years. He was an avid bowhunter back in the early to mid 70's with a recurve, but somehow fell out of it until recently when we decided it was a good way to spend time together. He managed to score on a doe, and we were able to be together while tracking in and when we found her. I was so happy/proud of him, I now know what he must have felt like when we were hunting together back in 1992 when he was able to be with me when I took my first buck at 12 years old. This made the entire trip well worth it.

I am spending a couple of days during rifle season out with the gun, but plan to hit the woods hard during late archery season in both NY and PA. I have already passed a few deer in NY during rifle season, hopefully I end up with a mature buck in range this year before it is too late. It also looks like I will have off the entire week of x-mas as well which is PA's late archery/flintlock season, so I will probably be spending that time in the woods as well. Hopefully I will be able to at least put a doe down for the freezer.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:32 AM
Typical Buck

hey guys,
sorry i havent updated really whatsoever......but i havent been out bowhunting really at all.....the weekend before thanksgiving was gun only season in IL, and i was busy all thanksgiving week because i work at a retail store, and gun only season is this weekend. however, i did score on a real nice buck this week with the shotgun here in IL.....hopefully i can come up with another like him or better with the remaining month or so of bow-season.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Looking Buck!!! Congratulations!

It looks a lot like the buck in our logo, except not as wide.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck Vogt. I broke down and got a shotgun tag, season opened yesterday. I went out today and messed up. Went to one of my bowhunting areas and decided to hunt from the ground. Before the snow got too deep, heard that awesome crunch crunch crunch in the leaves, then a tree rat sounded the alarm that a deer was definitely close... It came from behind and to the right, and I saw legs thru the brush... If it would have continued down the trail, It would have came out about 10 yards from me. I was watching a different trail than the one it came in on.If I was in my usual tree where I bowhunt with my climber, it prolly would have come out for a perfect 30 yard shot, but the wind wasnt right for that stand. I got impatient when it stopped for a while, and I grunted soft twice hoping to make it take a few extra steps. Instead, it wheeled around and bolted. Well, it had my heart beating fast anyway... Couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe, but it looked large enough that I would have taken it either way. I knew the deer were using that area from the sign, but I only hunted it 3 times and only heard one deer once, no visual. I guess its worth checking out again.

Was supposed to take a 2.5 hr drive into CT tomorrow to hunt the western part of the state with the bow, but I cancelled. I'm kinda beat for that trek. I'm gonna hopefully reschedule to take the bow out to CT later in the week, maybe Friday.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys this season is all to soon coming to an end here for me. Our season does go until Jan. 2 so I hope to get out at least once over the holidays. I have some family commitments so I may only get out that once more. Anyone else out there still hunting? Good luck if you are. I know there are still come big guys around.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was supposed to take the day off today to bowhunt, but the weather got real freaky. I'm glad I didn't go, there were >50 MPH sustained winds. I plan on getting out tomorrow for a couple hours, but I'll have my shotgun with me. I still hope to get out bowhunting a time or two more.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody on Team 24 still bowhunting? Any prospects of a big one?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still may get out a time or two before the end of January. I know there are a couple of bucks in the area but nothing huge. Truthfully, I think its gonna be tough to score, but I'm still hangin' in there.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been out a couple of times but nothing to put on the scoreboard. Season ends here Jan. 3rd and it is not looking like I will be getting out again. It was a rough season. Never really saw anything decent to shoot. I know there are some great bucks in the area as we get them on the trail cam a lot at night. Just gotta find out where they hide all day. Good luck to everyone next year.

Quick Reply: Official Team Fear This (24) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.