2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

It's colder outsidethan a witch's t-t in a tin bra. It's colder outside than a well digger's a--hole in Idaho. Those are ones my Dad used to day and I now say to our little one, which gets my wife riled up. I have only been out a few times the past few weeks in the zero or below zero weather here. We have about six inches of snow on the ground so it's pretty easy to tell where the deer have been. It's actually warmer in Alaska right now than it is in Minnesota. Have been wearing my insulated goose hunting overalls and parka when I go. Makes pulling back on the bow a little more difficult. Anywhoo, got winded my a small forkbuck and the parade of does continues. I'm not complaining because if you like deer meat, that's paradise. But I will plan to scout more next year and get permission on more land to increase the chances at a buck. I think I'll concentrate on a bigger doe the last week or two of the season (ends Dec. 31) if it looks like time is running out. Sorry in advance if that happens but I'd like to go for the "sure" thing if there is such a thing with bowhunting.

Supposed to warm up this weekend but it's been so cold out this week that I saw a squirrel toasting his nuts over a fire. Ha ha. David Letterman has a whole slew of its so cold and so hot outside jokes related to a squirrel and his nuts.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

This forum has gone underground just like the deer during hunting season
Old 12-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guy's where did that Extreme 1 go has anyone heard from him ?

Anyway's I would just like to wish you's all a merry Xmas and a safe and happy new year .
Good luck on the remainder of your hunting season ,our season will be over on the 30th of Dec ,hopefully I can conect before then,snowshoe's will be a necessity since the snow is really starting to pile up.

nubo
Old 12-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Boy! thing's have really slowed down here as well .Well guy's I've just recieved an e-mail from Extreme 1 and he's having trouble with getting onto this sight and responding ,so he just wanted to let you guy's know that he's still giving her ,but he's just unable to reply to the threads .
I was a little worried about him but thing's are fine and he's STLL not got a DEER ,I think he just like's to look at them and forget's to shoot LOL
Anyway's guy's good luck with the remainder of your season's and let's see some replies on here .

Happy New Years to Team Mailmen

nubo
Old 12-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry guy's I forgot to pass on Extreme #1 's message of wishing you's all a Happy New Year as well. Hopefully he'll be back very soon .

nubo
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 PM

hope everyone had a merry christmas and happy new year. Today was the last day of bow season here in wisconsin. We went up north last week bowhunting and I sat in a pop up blind which was a mistake. There were lots of deer. I was surrounded and when I tried to draw back on a doe, a deer behind me knew what I was doing and snorted. That pretty much took care of that night. The next night, I didnt get within 150 yards of any deer. That was the last hunt of the season for me. oh well only 9 and a half months until next season.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:18 PM

Hey everyone. Season is done here. I succumbed to pessimism a few days before the season ended here and instead of waiting for that last minute buck, took home a second doe with other tag. Was pretty happy all in all with the way things went this year but plan to put more effort into getting a buck next year.

Learned a lot from my teammates and this board in general. Thanks Ken and Jason for all of the advice and wisdom you shared. I wish I could have contributed with a buck but they just didn't cooperate this year. I smile because that's pretty much the opposite of what I believe. I believe you make your own "luck" through hard work and was inspired by some of the bucks and accompanying stories I read this year. Hopefully, I can put in that same level of work - scouting, time in the field, etc. - and achieve the same level of results next year.

Take care guys
Chuck
Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chuck---No problem bud,and beleive me,you gave us some great info and tips as well and I thank you for that

Well I just spent a good part of the morning reading all 39 pages of our thread(yes a little bored---lol).It sure was great reflecting on what happened and transpired over the last 4 months or so.It sure did bring some smiles to my face reading all the posts and actually laughed out loud at alot of them as well.Everyone on the team are great guys and made me a little closer to you all as well.I feel deep down inside I have made a few more friends even though I havent met you's in person.Hopefully someday we can meet,and that would be the icing on the cake.You all sound like good,clean,ethical hunters and thats #1 in my book---Thank You for the great times and sharing your stories and hapenings with us,something that will not be forgotten.
I also want to thank everyone for nominating me as the team captain(for what it was worth) I still cant figure out what the team captain was supposed to do that all other 9 members of the team couldent,but thank you.Maybe next year we wont have the "captain" per say ,and let the MODS figure out all the problems and controversys on their own as they did during this contest.But I will assure everyone that when ever anyone needs help or advice and I can offer it to them you will be sure to count on me

Now on to my appology[&o] I am sorry for not producing for the team as I promised.I gave it 100% and did not happen.I promised myself and the team that it would be at least an 8 pointer and be 110" or more,maybe expecting to much for myself but it was my goal.I had a few oppertunities to harvest a smaller one but turned it down.I am a firm believer that you let the little ones go so maybe someday we can shoot a big one.Thats why I only shoot does if I really want the meat in my freezer.And if I get a buck as my trophy then its icing on the cake(and meat in the freezer as well).
If anyone of you gentlemen are on my team next year I will try my hardest as well as this year.Just being in the woods spending time with mother nature is what I ask for.Seeing any of the numerous animals run around makes great memories as well.
A few of the teammates harvested some nice bucks(a big congrats to you fellow mailmen)and some havent including myself,but there is always next year
Probably the most exciting thing that happened to me this year was running into the bear 2 consecutive times.And when he tried to climb the same tree I was in,looking him in the eyes I almost chit myself,something that will not be forgotten.And then the next time walking to my stand first thing in the morn to walk right into him,not comfortable.Good thing is he was young and had no mother,curious I suppose but a memory not to forget.
Again ,thank you everyone for giving me some great memories.I had a blast "hunting" with everyone and good luck to you lucky ones that are still hunting.Shoot something you will be happy with,not just for the team,cause as far as I am conserned (we are the winners)
We are the MAILMEN and we all delivered,in one way or another
Old 02-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone doing any Icefishing?
I know this has nothing to do with the contest but it is keeping me sane till next year
I have been out alot this year,havent cought many fish but am having a great time doing so.
I take it everyones season is over?
Keep in touch guys,its been great having you's on the team.Hopefully next year everyone will participate---I sure will be
Old 02-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Jason. The ice is terrible here - well under a foot thick. You'd think it was Iowa when you stepped outside its been so warm. Good for the deer herd though. LOL.

Anywhoo, I'll take my portable out a few times a year every winter but haven't yet this year. Ice is usually too soupy or covered with thick snow. Not one for driving a vehicle out there so I have taken up other pursuits.

Bought a cheap digital camera ($99, Wildview Digital 2.0) and have been keeping track of the deer herd by spreading horse feed and cracked corn in front of it once a week. Counted nine different does and a handful of smaller bucks who've lost their horns. Kind of fun and good to know what made it though the season.

Kind of excited thinking of next year and am going to apply for our Camp Ripley Archery Hunt. Not sure if you've ever heard of it, but basically, they open up a huge military base/wildlife area for two weekends of the year to archery hunters only. They have over 2,000 hunters in there each weekend so the deer get pushed around. Kind of like gun season with a bow. Your chances of seeing deer are good and a handful of guys leave every year with some very big, mature bucks (or so I've seen from the pictures). The overall success rate is like one in ten hunters leaving with a deer, but a big part of that is because a majority hold out for Mr. Big, which Ripley is known for producing. Hopefully I will get to experience it.

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.