2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

ORIGINAL: OHBowhunter

Finally managed to get a picture through. If this works I will add the details.

Excellent! CONGRATULATIONS!
Are you able to get more tags or is your hunting done for the year?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

StealthyOne I have two more doe tags to fill. The area I shot the buck in is all farm land. He was on his normal route from the corn down the fence line through a small pach of woods back to the clear cut to bed. About a week ago he started to make a couple of scrapes along this trail. I see bucks off this trail every year. Alyways new scrapes to. I seen him comining in at only 40 yards. At 30 I turned slightly and drew back. I got the dreaded tree stand squeek and he stopped and looked in my direction. Just as he stopped a chipmunk chirped and ran out across the trail he was on. He watched the chipmunk and continued on to my 20 yard shooting lane. After me cussing at these darn chipmunks for weeks I think this one saved my day. Nice pass through with a Gold Tip pro and a Montek G-5 broadhead.
Funny thing about this area is the does always come out in the corn to feed, but they seem to use different trails to and from the bedding then the bucks use. Which puts me in area #2 for my doe hunting. Its about 150 acres of part swamp part white oaks, In the middle of a suburban area. This place is loaded with does and yearlings and no bucks. I see 3 - 6 deer a night here but some how these darn does have been giving me the slip. I have 3 stands set up around this one swamp that I can see across and they always come out where I am not and look over in my direction. Now I sit in heavy cover and move around so much from tree to tree plaing the wind, I can't figure out how they just seem to know where I am at. Well now I am on a mission to get one of these buggers. Good luck to all you guys this week. I seem to only see these deer moving when it stops raining for a brief period of time. Meenwhile I'll be sitting in the rain waiting for it to stop.

Old 10-25-2005, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

Better view of brow tines with my future hunting partner.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 PM

Congrats OH Bowhunter! Great pics! I havent been on here much lately. Ive been trying to get a doe for theast few weeks with no luck. Tonight I was in my stand watching some does about 75 yards away when something came into the field about20 yards from me. I finally saw it when it was about 5 yards away. It was an 8 pointer about 13" wide with long tines that sweeped in at the top. As I drew my bow, he heard my arrow on the rest, looked at me and ran off into the woods. I didnt get him but it was still an awesome experience. I am going to have to put some moleskin on my rest before I go out again. I will be rifle hunting from Thursday through sunday for wisconsins T zone(doe only) hunt. I hunt in the CWD zone though, so taking a buck during t zone is legal. Last week we got some nice pics of 130 class bucks around my blind. Good luck mail men!
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pic with you and the boy fred.I really like his split brow tine.
Have you got that bad boy scored yet?Im guessing around 110"

I just heard the news and said its not supposed to rain on thurs,frid,and sat.I just about fell off my chair---lol
Curious---Is that a darton maverick bow you shoot?----looks like it in the pic.
Buddy has one and just loves it.I may be wrong though,just curious.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM

Congrats on the little hunting partner as well Fred. Sure he will be excited to get out there with you soon.

Good to hear from you 24/7. So what's the reasoning behind taking a buck in a CWD zone? Just interested. Know nothing about it.

Extreme, on Monday night, I poured some Trails End over my mock scrape with the dripper that has Active Scrape in it and doused some clean tampons with it and hung them about 30 yards on each side of the scrape along the trail. The scrape was moderately pawed up last night when I went out to hunt. Not sure, though, could be does.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know---I have been reading alot about using "unscented"tampons and pads to use for your scents.This is something I will have to try.Not sure what my hunting partners will think of this,probably just laugh there butts off.Imagine what your wife would say if you took the box from the bathroom and she seen you pack it in your hunting bag.Actually this is a horible thought---maybe just go to the store and buy my own------lol

I am washing my cloths again in baking soda.Works great to get rid of any unwanted smells that deer arent to impressed with.I pack them in a plastic tote and place the baking soda box on the bottom.I think it would work the same as having the box in the fridge.
Chuck---glad to hear the scrape is being visited.Does in the scrape is also a good thing because the bucks will soon follow.Good luck with it and keep us posted on what happens next.
24/7---sorry to hear about the 8 point,hopefully you will get your chance with him again.Remember putting mole skin on your rest may raise your arrow up slightly.You may have to adjust your rest down or your nock up a hair to put it back where it was.Is your rest a regular prong style rest?you just may have to replace the teflon on the prongs.
I am working the dreaded afternoon shift this week,evening hunts are definately out of the question.I might head over to the mock scrape and freshen it up some.Not raining today(as of yet)supposed to be decent weather for the next 3 days.I plan on going out in the morn.Hopefully something transpires
Jason
Old 10-26-2005, 09:40 AM

Extreme. LOL. My wife caught me sniffing the clean tampons to make sure they didn't have some ocean breeze scent to them or something. In fact, I made her buy me some unscented ones as well as some cheap pantyhose I filled with dirt and leaves and twigs and put in my bowcase and clothes bags.I use the baking soda too - to wash clothes in and a box in a plastic garbage bag with my boots.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:58 AM

extreme1, you can take a buck in cwd zones because the dnrhas found cwd in the wild in those zones and are afraid of it spreading so they want lots of deer killed there.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Extreme. LOL. My wife caught me sniffing the clean tampons to make sure they didn't have some ocean breeze scent to them or something
LMAO--not sure what my wife would say,but something along the lines like"are you friggin crazy"what kind of a sick,perverted-----well it really dosnt matter---she would probably just giggle and walk away.Then it would take the rest of the day to try to explain to her what the sole purpouse was.I still dont think she would understand.But WE do and thats all that matters,right guys!------lol

24/7----I think the question came from chuck----but good to know otherwise.
We dont have any CWD areas here.I am curious though how big of an area this spreads?and are the deer any good for eating?What precautions are takin for dressing out a CWD deer?
Hopefully your area rids of this problem,and you can get a buck to help prevent spreading the disease.
I will be out tomorrow morn,then come home,have a nap and head to work---man I just gotta win that lotto 6/49----up to $40 million,biggest in Canadian lottery history.StealthyOne---did you buy a ticket?
1 thing I will promise guys if I win we as a team will be heading out on a hunt,guided,or unguided,on the best place available for monster bucks,all expenses paid of course

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.