Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team Buckstoppers! (19) Thread >

Official Team Buckstoppers! (19) Thread

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Buckstoppers! (19) Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Buckstoppers! (19) Thread

Hey all sorry i havent checked in in awhile i shot a big doe thursday. Iv been seeing this 140 class 10 point everytime iv went out but always a little to far away so im goin to try and move my stand a little bit and see if it pays off.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey all sorry i havent checked in in awhile i shot a big doe thursday. Iv been seeing this 140 class 10 point everytime iv went out but always a little to far away so im goin to try and move my stand a little bit and see if it pays off.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:58 AM

bwhunter501.....Congratulations on the doe. Good luck on the 10 pt. This weekend should be good. It just keeps getting better and better!!!

Luck to the rest of the Buckstoppers Team.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:17 AM

Hey team,
Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile. It's been raining here for over a week. Pretty miserable.

Congrats on the doe bwhunter501.

I just ordered the Ameristep Outfitter hang on stand and the aluminum Rapid Rails. Does anyone on the team use them? They should give me some more flexibilty on which tree to use.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Conrads on the doe bowhunter, keep putting in your time and im sure you will get that chance at that buck.

Its been awile for me too srry team....

My bow season has been kinda slow so far here, and havent really been out as much as i would like to be.
ive been seeing deer but just smaller bucks so far, hopefullyone of the bigger ones will show there face come the end
of the month.

G2....never used the rapid rails, but from what i heard they work pretty good.

Good luck to the rest of the team go get um!!
Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 AM

Hi Guys.......pretty uneventful week end. Sat. am saw the same 2 does with fawns that I saw last week end.....no bucks. Went out Sat. evening to the back of a 65 acre bean field that the boys had just finished picking that afternoon. First time I could get back there. The boys plant so darn close to the edge of the fields!! Saw a lot of rubs. Set up on the ground and covered my 4 wheeler.....evidently not well enough! Had two does come out from the right, about 60 yards out....too far for this girl. Turned and left. Had two does come from the other side of the field. Same thing...saw the 4 wheeler, turned and walked off. We are putting up a ladder stand in the back of that field next week end....hope that will be better.
Turned into a scaredy girl Sat. am when 3 coons heard me walking in the woods. They made such a BIG commotion....and ran up a tree. Had my flash light on them thought....still startled me. I need some 30 degree weather!!
Good luck fellas.....more later.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:56 AM

Another bummer of a weekend. I overslept on Friday. Had the alarm set for 4am. The wife woke me up at 6am and said "Isn't it hunting today?". I replied "Not anymore." LOL

Went out on Saturday to some public land. Figured I would get in real early so all the other hunters would scare the deer my way. I'm in my stand at 5am. At 6am I see a light coming down the hill from a development. Obviously this guy didn't have permission from the DNR to hunt. I flash my light and he is nice enough to go somewhere else. At 6:20, I hear a branch snap behind me but don't see a light. Then I hear a metallic clink. I flash my light a few times but don't get a response. As the sun comes up I look behind me and see this guy 30 yards behind me! Dang it! So I just sit it out because I'm not moving. There is a good trail in front of me that had a buck making rubs the day before. Around 7:45 a 4 pointer walks between the other hunter and I. He gets about 10 yards from the guy and smells something. Looks right at the hunter and then trots off. I'm thinking the guy smells or something. A doe walks by and spooks at the same spot. I look around and see scent wicks hanging around his stand and they are almost right below him. I'm hoping this guy isn't dumb enough to have out doe-in-heat uring yet. Another 4 pointer walks by and gets a wiff and trots up the hill. So I'm pissed but what can you do on public land? The guy gets down and then I see that he has screw in tree steps and a hang on which he leaves there. Both of which are illegal on public land. I wait 20 minutes and get down. I go look at his setup and the stand has a lock on it. I was so tempted to call DNR and report it but I didn't. I was just pissed that he screwed up my hunt. I'm sure any mature deer would have smelled that scent and avoided the whole area.

I got the Rapid Rails and the Outfitter stand. I just have one word to say. WOW! Those rails are great. The stand was a snap to setup also. I weigh about 240 and was worried about how stable they would be but once I started using them I didn't worry at all. This system will give you so much more mobility and options than a climber. You can go around branches and up forked trees. The only con would be how high you can go. I like to get about 20-25 feet and I think I will be limited to 18-20 with this system. My friend suggested to use a steps at the bottom which I might try. I would recommend you guys/gals to try them out if you can.

I will try to go out Thursday-Saturday but that will depend on the wife. She gets a little testy when she has to get my daughter up too many mornings by herself. [:-]

Good luck team.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:47 PM

I went out over the weekend, I had a small buck walk by me at about 15 yards. Then I had a very nice shooter buck walk out in the field at 70 yards. I was hoping he would come in closer but he walked into the sunflower field. I'm taking off on Saturday for a week to hunt mule deer in the Badlands. I'm hoping to get my buck then, maybe I will have pictures to post then.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:22 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know I am alive and hunting. Have not had anything worth shooting by any of the stands, but the area we are hunting has the corn coming out as we speak so should pick up in the next couple of weeks heading into rut. Usually have the big boys by the stand in the second week of November so we are in a normal year.
Good Luck
Old 10-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Haven not checked in, in awhile. Congrats on the doe bowhunter. Been out trying to fill my doe tag a few times, not working out very well. Hope everyones having a fun and safe bow season.

Quick Reply: Official Team Buckstoppers! (19) Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.