Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team Rack Masters (17) Thread!!! >

Official Team Rack Masters (17) Thread!!!

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Rack Masters (17) Thread!!!

Old 10-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team Rack Masters (17) Thread!!!

Have fun, and good luck Rack!

looks like wednesday will be my next trip out too...it really sucks that we cant hunt on sundays up here! I have a good feeling about my honeyhole...hopefully that little 6 will bring his big brother along next time!

On a side note, my dad has been seeing multiple shooter bucks and lots of does back in my home woods...I really want to start making the trip down there to hunt on weekends (friday night and all day saturday) but with the cost of gas it would cost 40 bucks each trip WHAT TO DO!!???

I am sure I will go down a couple times but nothing seems to happen when I do go down

Good luck and keep on tryin
Old 10-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went out this morning. didn't see anything from the stand but I realized that what I thought was a stupid hunter walking by without a flashlight after legal shooting last nightcould not have been a hunter. it came from a swamp that you cannot cross with even rubber boots. must have been a deer. most years, no big deal but jeez, i had been out so many times without even seeing a deer.

anyway, after loading my stand on my back i decided to take the long way in (i was about a mile in the woods, there really is no 'short' way) and do some scouting. about 100 yards down from my stand i look up and there isa buck running full steam DIRECTLY at me. i started to knock an arrow and looked up as I was pulling the arrow off the quiver and he was getting really close, still heading on the exact narrow trail i was on. as i get an arrow nocked he veers off to his left. i tried to stop him, which would have given me a 30 yard broadside shot but he was not going to stop. had he kept going straight he would have went right by my stand. ugh. i would have stayed up there but nature called. hehe. anyway, it's nice to see a live deer in the wild again. the one's at cabelas are nice but it's just not the same. later alll...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:08 AM

Hey guys, just checking in. The good news here in Iowa is two fold. #1 is the weather is starting to feel like late October and not late August. The second is that the early muzzleloader season ended yesterday. So now it's back to stick and string until the second week of December. My buddy that shot that old 8 point a week from yesterday hunted here last Saturday and said that the yearling spike buck he saw was running with that old buck was now running with 2 older nice 'shooter' 8 points. Now my buddy's been known to spim a yarn or 2 but when he pulled the shed antlers off my entertainment center and said that the bucks he saw were bigger than these I took notice. The sheds I have are of 150 + class deer. Now the fact that a yearling spike would be in the same company of a couple of 150 class bucks mean to me that the prerut is not yet here and the bucks are still in bacheolor groups. But I've also seen 2 trees on 1 side of my place that were tore up about 3 feet off the ground and they were 3 or 4 inch diameter trees so the prerut can't be far off.

Well it's about 2am here and I just got home from work and the only thing preventing me from getting out and hunting in the morning is my ability to get out of bed before 5:30. Wish me luck. I'm after a P&Y.

P.S. Here's a pic of that old buck. His G-2 on his left rack is a fresh break.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Well fellas...its wednesday (my next opportunity to get out) and it is POURING Oh well, I guess that just means quiet stalking cause I am not going to let my opportunites fall by the wayside!

I will update you guys on how wet I got...I mean how many deer I slaughtered!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rain finally let up today. Still had a few showers here and there. I'm going to head out in the morning before work and see if I can't catch the deer coming in off of one of the fields. A couple weeks ago they were crossing well before daylight but lately I've been seeing them crossing later. Hopefully they'll come by after legal shooting hours start.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys, i'm leaving in the morning for the ripley hunt. I'm pretty dang excited. Imagine 2250 bowhunters all in one place, it's something else. I'm sure the line is already started for the SATURDAY morning hunt. I'll be there around 10am tomorrow and I'll be about 1/2 mile back in the line. hehe.

the worse part is all the goof balls that call themselves bowhunters.Of the guys we camped with last year: 1 shot at 4 deer in one day, 3 were running (missing all 4 times). One shot a spike thinking it was a doe. One was so drunk he went into the woods without his bow.To top it all off one guycouldn't hit a block target at 20 yards and then shot a 220+ pound 13 point buck!!!!! (he took my big buck pool money, my 8 got second in our little pool). I didn't know these guys ahead of time, they were friends of friends.

Anyway, good luck this weekend guys...
Old 10-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck RackLuster!

I'll be back out tomorrow morning.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Went out this morning and had a good sized doe in my lap (sarcasm)...she was so close to me that I couldnt do anything. I tried to draw but about the time I reached full draw she knew something was up...10 yards! Damnit! (I was on the ground, wind was perfect)

I am going home this weekend to hunt with the old man...he's been seeing a couple mature bucks around so hopefully things will work out...for me
Old 10-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, i'm back from ripley, empty handed. man that place is chaos. unbelievable the number of hunters in there. the place is great when you get a deer, but when you don't you hate it because of all the people. all three of us saw really good bucks. my buddy missed a nice buck this morning. i didn't get any shooting but found a blood trail within 5 yards of the stand i was in an hour before. so, had i stayed in my stand i could have knocked that buck down. the guy never found it. ugh!
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 AM
Spike

Hey Team,
Sounds like many of you are getting in some good hunting time. The prerut has kick in good here in Wisconsin, unfortunately I have been to busy to get out hunting. My oldest daughter (8 years) wanted to start trapping this year so we’ve been out the last week and a half in the back woods. So far (1) coon and (1) coyote. The bucks are starting to chase and become more active. My dad saw a nice ten point this weekend wile out T-zone hunting (T-zone is a doe season that the WDNR likes to throw in the middle of the prerut). I am taking my dad to Colorado for the third Elk season. I will not get out bow hunting until the third week of November, the rut should be in full swing by then. Good luck to all of you who are hitting the woods.

Quick Reply: Official Team Rack Masters (17) Thread!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.