Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow)
 Official Team "Bruiser-Busters" (5) Thread! >

Official Team "Bruiser-Busters" (5) Thread!

Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team "Bruiser-Busters" (5) Thread!

Old 09-27-2005, 05:43 PM

Default RE: Official Team "Bruiser-Busters" (5) Thread!

Hey guys,

Great news, I am not only hunting in my home state of PA this year, I will be spending atleast 1 week hunting in prime pre-rut SW Ohio. My buddy moved out there a few weeks ago and has got permission for him and I to hunt a co-workers farm. We are the only two bow-hunters on the 180 acre farm and this place sounds like a dream. I talked to my best friend about an hour ago and he was out sitting over a alfalfa/soybean field where he was watching over 30 deer (14 bucks) feeding around him. He said there were a couple bruisers out in the fields and this farm is just covered up in big mature deer.
Knowing this is gonna make it awhole lot easier to be really picky on a PA buck. Season opens Sat. and I am gonna spend the morning in my ground-blind over looking a cut power line that gets alot of bucks traveling it and in the evening I will be out my friends farm sitting 20 yards inside the woods from a large alfalfa field behind me in the woods is where we planted Imperial Extreme food-plot seed last year. There have been 5 different bruisers visiting this feild pretty much every evening so I am hoping that is true for Sat. It would be nice to kick the team off with a 135"-150" 10 pointer
Old 09-30-2005, 06:06 PM

Did I ever get some exciting news today!!!!! There isa well known theme park pretty close to where I live. This company also owns a lot ( I have no idea how much ) ground bordering the park. Well, around here, the place is like an urban legend. I mean, anybody who's anybody that grew up bow hunting around here has dreamed of getting into this place. It is fairly exclusive, and pretty hard to get in. Only about a dozen ppl a year get to hunt. But, as long as you don't do anything stupid, you are in until you decide not to be.

Anyway, I digress. This place is positively LOADED with not only does, but really big bucks. I know a couple of the security gaurds, and when they are making their rounds, they are no longer surprised when they see 160's and 170's. They are just like "Hey, wow...another one." One guy said it's nothing for them to look into the woods bordering the park and count 3 dozen or so deer. Well, today.........after years of trying...........I finally.....finally....got in!!! I'm so excited I can barely contain myself!! They allow no hunting on days when the park is open, and in October they are open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So, bummer for me, I won't get in until November. But, I am off work the entire first week, and will be camped out in this place. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 AM

congrats on your good luck....now send a little my way!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:47 PM

Well guys, the first day here in PA is over and what a day.... probablly the worst opener I have had [:@] Started off by not getting more than 2 hours of sleep last night. Woke up this morning and got everything ready and headed out to my ladder stand set-up in a golden rod field that divides a corn field and a bedding area. I sat their till about 10:00 without seeing a single deer, actually all I saw was a raccoon. I came home and I knew that I had to get some sleep before the evening hunt. I slept till 3:00 and headed out to my best-friends uncles farm. I was set-up by 3:45 and was ready for a long wait. At about 4:50 I had a hen turkey come in and she decided to spende over an hour bugging in the leaves within 20 yards of me. Finally, she left at 6:00 and I waited for the last hour or so. About 15 minutes later I heard the leaves rustling behind me and when I turned around I saw a fox being chased by a coyote as they ran around my stand. I waited till dark and never saw a deer. I'll get to hunt every evening this week so hopefully things stat picking up.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:08 PM

Ah yes. High expectations shattered all around. I know them ALL to well. I finally, yesterday morning, saw the buck I have been hunting, but of course he was 100 yards away. Little to far for me. LOL

Hang in there bud. You'll do just fine, I can feel it.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Well, good news, bad news. First the good news. I hunted a piece of heavily hunted public land on Saturday night and shot a decent 7 point. We followed his trail for a while Saturday night, but had a hard time following the trail accross a soybean field strip, and then a grass strip. We marked the trail and backed out until the morning. After just 10 minutes, we found him on Sunday morning.

Now the bad news. I forgot my camera that morning. I didn't get to take it home for some pics because I had to take him straight to the processors as the day was getting warm and I didn't want the meat to spoil. (I live over an hour from where the public land is and the processor is a half and hour from my house). So, I'm hoping that I'll be allowed to usea pic of me and the cape after I get the cape back from the processor. I haven't measured him yet, again, I had to hurry to get him to the processors. He's not the biggest deer in the woods, but a decent buck in my book.

Slice
Old 10-03-2005, 11:59 AM

No luck for me either, its almost 90F here,deer are not moving, then someone had to throw in a 15 - 20 mph wind, deer are laying down in the cornfields.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

well done slice, I think that the pics will be fine for the contest. That definitely gets us on the board. way to go guys.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:22 PM

Congrats Slice, the pic should be fine, there is already and entry with just the head of a buck so I am sure yours will be fine. Thanks for putting us on the board.

Well team, this evening was MUCH better than Saturday. I sat in my ladder stand (setup in a golden rod field that seperates a large stand of oaks with thick underbrush and a corn/alfalfa/clover field, there is also a pond in this golden rod field). At about 6:00 p.m. I saw some movement on the other side of the pond and 5 does worked their way out of the oaks into the golden rod field. I was watching them when I heard something right to my left. I look over and there was a small 7 pointer comming up the trail, he walked past my stand at less than 5 yards and headed up for the corn. Well, I went back to watching the does and about 15 minutes later I heard a noise from the same trail. I looked and here come two more bucks, both were small 6 points and both walked past me at less than 5 yards. I could have EASILY plugged any of these 3 bucks but there is still ALOT of season left and I am really picky this year. They may not have been bruisers, but it was nice to actually see some deer, especially considering that it was about 86 degrees out today I wore a pair of shorts and a cut-off t-shirt with my ASAT suit over it and I was still hot. I will be out Wed. evening, it is still gonna be hot but we have rain moving in sometime on Thursday. Thursday I have the day off and I will be in stand all day, the high is supposed to be in the mid-60's and with the rain comming in the deer activity should be good. Friday I will be out in the evening, it is supposed to be clear and cooler, high of 68 degrees. I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

I asked Rob if the pics would be ok and he replied that he'll have to run them by all of the captains and mods before making a determination on whether they'll allow the pic or not. I would think they would since there are already pics that have been allowed with just the head, pics with no bow in them, ect, ect. But we'll wait and see what they determine. I apologize, but I didn't want to risk the meat spoiling just to go home and get the camera.

I'm supposed to pick up the meat and cape tonight, and will take some pics then and should have them by the end of the week. I'll measure probably tomorrow night.

Slice

Quick Reply: Official Team "Bruiser-Busters" (5) Thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.