HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions
Old 03-23-2007, 01:30 AM
CamoCop
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to the site, new to hunting... just new =) My intro and my first questions

guns are like running shoes, you need to try them out before you pick just one. you are going to get numerous suggestions on which brand of gun to go with (this is where a trip to the gun shop to hold and feel out each brand comes in handy). the two rifles you named above are good choices HOWEVER they limit you to shorter shooting distances. it can be done but i wouldn't try shooting game out past100-150 yards with them (this is because of the caliber you chose). my advice would be not to buy a rifle until you've shouldered it. this way you know how it feels and "handles". i would also try to shoot the different calibers you are considering. i personally would go with a rifle in the .30-06 caliber. this is a GOOD all around caliber that will take any game in north america. it's not too big (recoil wise) and not too small (which would mean you would have to rely onsuperb shot placement). plus, ammo for the .30-06 can be bought anywhere that sells ammo. you will notice some calibers are harder to find ammo for and are very expensive. the .30-06 is a very common caliber and the ammo cost is relatively cheap.

now your next question, glass. you again will hear alot of different suggestions on this. basically you get what you pay for when it comes to brands (there are very few companies that are an exception to this rule). the magnification of the glass is going to be strictly preference on your part. my opinion for magnification would be a 3-9x40mm(50mm) scope, i like variable powerscopes.