HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do Turrett Presses help speed up loading.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Briman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do Turrett Presses help speed up loading.

Absolutely, with the lee press at least.

My first trial with the the New lee turret press was pretty amazing. I loaded up 150 rounds of 30-06 with cast bullets in less time than it takes me to load up 50 rounds on a single stage. I only wish there was a way to convert it to a 3 hole turret for loading jacketed bullet rifle loads.
First pull- decap/resize. Prime on the downstroke.
second pull- flair case neck with Lyman M die
third pull- stop at top of stroke, flip powder measure arm up, tap, tap, flip down, tap, tap to charge powder. (I have mine set up with a Lee perfect powder measure, an Audo disc measure does the charging automatically at the top of the upstroke for smaller pistol charges)
fourth pull- seat bullet.

My only problems with the press are:
-The indexing gets out of alignment easily if you change turrets, or manually turn the turret to a different position. Its a real pain the arse to get the indexing straightened out again until you figure out how to do it.
-A bit more up and down play in the turret than I'd like, though it probably doesn't make any difference if you set your dies up correctly.
-The rifle priming arm on mine kept hanging up on me until I polished the flat sides of it with some crocus cloth.
-Dies are very close together- RCBS type locking rings are useless unless you set up each die seperately on its own and tighten the locking screw on each before reinstalling them- having the locking screw out of the locking ring will catch on its neighbor's locking ring. If there is a place that Lee locking rings really shine is on the Lee turrets- set them and forget them. The rubber ring on the rings gives the dies a little play to compesate for the play in the turret.

I'm not sure that a RCBS, Redding, Lyman or other turrets will speed up loading much. You will either still need to load shells by batch, or will need to develop giant popeye forearms to manually index the turret several times for each shell loaded.