HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hill Billies
Thread: Hill Billies
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 05:32 AM
260rem

Default Hill Billies

I just got back from a weekend looking around a new property at Bathurst, it was a top weekend with about 20 Goats and 15 Foxes hitting the dirt.
It was easy enough to see the Goats feeding from up to 1km away but the down side was that it's some very steep and rocky ground and as you got close to where you last saw them they had moved on.
You could here the goats bleating from miles away but getting an exact location was very tricky as the echoes were very deceiving.

The view from camp

The back of the property

My 1st two Billies, I got them after they crossed a track in front of us while driving to the back block. We got out quick smart and after a quick stalk we found a good position, I took out the lead Billy as it went through the fence and then while they were confused I lined up the best one and dropped him.

We saw this fox while eating breakfast at camp, he was about 800m away. My mate and I got about 200m closer and he started to call him in, I watched as he got with in 20m of my mate just out of site. I was 100m to the left of my mate watching him through the scope, the Fox decided that something was up and disappeared down a gully. I saw him stop where the gully ended about 160m-180m from where I was (Big mistake)
My mate never even saw him due to the dead ground, but it was great to watch.

We shot these 5 foxes in the space of about 3 minutes!!! We parked on the side of a hill and had a call to see if anything was about and the whole hillside lit up with eyes, we were calling them to within 30m of the truck before shooting them.
To our surprise the others didn't stop after the 1st shot but kept coming closer, after we had picked up this lot and taken the photo we turned on the light and saw two more 150m away one of witch was very impressed by the 270win.