HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you dress out a turkey ?
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you dress out a turkey ?

Another way to do it if you want a whole turkey,(not just the and legs) for smoking or roasting and such, is to pluck them. now this will mean that there will be about 1 trillion feathers everywhere and it takes awhile but the end result is good. I would imagine if you raised all those birds you know what your doing when it comes to plucking and taking of the head and such.{ I did not raise them..my step dad did. I bought him an incubator for Christmas one year...I was about 13.He ordered some bob whitequail eggs and off went a very nice hobbie. The quail were the hardest to raise. }Obviously you have to remove the guts and wash out the cavity. The easiest way to do this is to cut open around the anus and start pulling stuff out. cut the legs off at the "knees" and the wings off at the first joint. you dont have to pluck the entire wing as its impossible to do anyway. you also need to remove the crop which is easy just cut it out like the picture up above shows. cut the head off as close the body as you can. I think thats about it, If anyone has any questions jsut ask and I'll be happy to answer them. Keeping the skin on the bird seems to help them from drying out. That makes since my friend..Dipping our birds in scalding hot water helped to ploch those tough pin feathers. Pheasants were very easy to raise and we would eat their eggs. Once we caught a wild ring neck trying to get into the cage. My dad dug a hole. Because of a pheasants long tail..it will not back out of a hole..like a ground hog hole. He put cracked corn into the hole and the pheasant couldn't back out. he lived with the other incubated pheasants.

Buck Rogers