HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - when do u gut them?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 01:32 AM
hinkleid

Default RE: when do u gut them?

I too am curious as to the same question. They say "clean as soon as possible", hence field dressing. This is what I have always done. During deer season, I have seen many deer not gutted being transported to wherever.

I am curious as to the proper time frame in which you should get this done. I have read before that for the best quality meat, it should be done immediately. However many bowhunters (and 243 shooters ) have to retrack the next day. So, it seems that the meat must still be good after sitting all night and not being cleaned?? I would think by that time that the animal has cooled completely.

Everytime I have cleaned the animal has still been very warm. Would be nice to transport a couple hours home though. In the field it can be a PITA gutting, the blood, the hair, the dirt...

I do think that honestly, many hunters skip cleaning in the field and choose the comforts of going somewhere more convenient, if living near the hunt site. Hang, then all goes into a big bucket like you said. Much easier as I have seen it done.