HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fall-away vs. Fixed arrow rests
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2003, 08:18 AM
CargoF16
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fall-away vs. Fixed arrow rests

J, this may be a subject for the Technical forum, or at least there you'll get more replies. Here's my $0.02

If you have never tried a fall away rest then it's at least worth the experience to put one on your bow and shoot it for a while. Fall away rests minimize the effect of your arrow spine, ie if you're over or under spined, a fall away will relieve you (somewhat) of whatever effect that is having on your arrow flight. This is because the rest only supports the arrow for the first part of the launch, often referred to as the dwell time. Some might see this as an advantage of the sight, others believe the arrow needs to be supported throughout the launch by a properly adjusted rest. Everything is a trade off.

One nice thing about fall away rests is that it is very easy to achieve fletching clearance with them.

I'm shooting a NAP Quick Tune 2000 fall away. It is not micro adjustable but I was able to paper tune to bullet holes in a few adjustments. I looked at the Muzzy ZE but thought it was A) too expensive for me to try on a whim, and 2) looked to delicate to put on my bow that I use for 3D and hunting. I have three friends that use it and love it. To each his own. I like the NAP QT rest because they're simple in design, rugged and not over priced. If I had it to do over I would have spend the extra money on the NAP QT 4000 fall away that is micro-adjustable.

I really dont shoot well enough to tell whether a fall away rest is more or less precise than a normal rest in guiding your arrow flight. I shoot the same groups with it as I did before I switched.

good luck

Cargo