HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 1858 Confederate Navy model pistol
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:03 AM
hunter.50

Default RE: 1858 Confederate Navy model pistol

Navy's are .36
Army's are .44
This was true until the reproduction market went crazy now they seem to put any name they can think of on a gun to sell more of them. I have 2 1851 navy .44 colt never produced them. rumor is 5 prodotypes were made but were not strong enough (iron cylinders) and the progect was dropped untill the 1860 army and improved metal (steel) was availible.
This is what I was told by a gun smith. If this is incorrect then I am sorry to have posted this. This is from the Pietta web site
*1858 NEW MODEL ARMY*[/i][/b]
The manufacture of firearms by Remington goes back to 1816 when Eliphalet Remington produced his first guns in Ilion, N.Y. Thanks to the talent of his designer, F.Beals, in 1858 he patented and started production of a revolutionary weapon : the 1858 NEW MODEL ARMY .44 [/b]cal.. As it happened for Colt, also for Remington the Civil War represented a significant turn. Federal Government granted to "Remington & Sons, Ilion N.Y." license to develop and change the initial project. These guns became the veterans of the Civil War. They were appreciated for the strength of their rugged frame, and were ideally suited for the heavy .44 cal. loads and for their shooting reliability and accuracy. The same gun was also produced in .36 cal. and, as it happened with Colt guns, it was the favorite of the American Navy which required small caliber guns for the hand to hand fights. Hence the name 1858 NEW MODEL NAVY .36 [/b]cal. given to distinguish it from the .44 cal. version.