HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How should I do it? What does it take?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How should I do it? What does it take?

The job is a means to a living and fun, however doing a job you don't like can suck the life out of you. If banking/finance is what you like, great, there are opporatunities in that area that should suite you just fine. Aside from bank teller/manager (not sure what the financial side of this is), you can get into investments and accounting areas as well. These make good money and should provide the flexibility to take some time off for hunting.

Realistically you are not, in most jobs, going to get to take hunting season off, more likely a week here or there, then extended weekends with a Friday or Monday off.

It's also a journey. Most of the people I run into at the 2 guided hunts I've been on, have worked up through there careers, they are usually not the fresh out of school type, but the been working 15+ year type and have built up the career and finances to be able to take these trips.

I am a software engineer and in the beginning of my career, with a new wife and saving for a house and kids etc. Not a chance could I have afforded the occassional hunting trip. However planning at that stage set up things for my family now, 20 years later. We have the financial setup to allow us to afford a family vacation every year, me and the wife a hunting trip every other year or so and soon college tuition.

It takes planning and patience and setting priorities. Decide how important it is to have $8-$10K/year to take a hunting trip and what it will take for sacrifices to accomplish that, then set a plan and follow through. It may be 1 year, it may not happen for 10+. But make a plan to get what you want and follow through.

"Fun" side jobs are also an option, assuming you have the time. My sons and I ref soccer games 8 months a year, I also became a ref instructor for the state, this pretty much covers a hunting trip a year, almost, without sucking to much family time away.