HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan
Old 02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Wayspr
Typical Buck

Default RE: I feel sorry for people deer hunting in Michigan

[quote]ORIGINAL: andrewjoseph

I watched this hunting show Sunday morning where they pick someone and take them on a hunt of a lifetime. They picked this guy from Michigan who had buck hunted all of his life. They showed some of the nounts at his house and they were really small and pathetic.

Then they went to Saskatchawan for the big hunt, he came home with a 8 point buck that was very thin in the rack and narrow. He freaked out about this trophy because he had never seen a bigger deer.

What an idiotic thing to say. I hunt in the deep south and have harvested several mature (4.5 - 5.5 years old) bucks. Down here a mature whitetail will rarely gross more than 120 with the average being near 100. Does that make my trophies "small and pathetic"? Just because you hunt in an area that has great genetics, food supply etc. does not make your trophies any greater. My greatest trophy buck only scored 108. The reason he is my greatest trophy is that I hunted this deer for three years. When I finally got him, I estimated him at 6.5 years old. His rack had decreased in size from previous years. By your measure, he is pathetic, by mine, he is a trophy. He took every bit of hunting knowledge I had including getting on stand at 3:00 am since he had long before learned that most hunters enter the woods just prior to sunrise. I was fortunate enough to harvest him 10 mins after sunrise. Don't be so quick to judge others trophies strictly by the size of bone on his head.