HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Peep sight? Should I use one or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 AM
Straightarrow

Default RE: Peep sight? Should I use one or not?

I haven't used a peep for years and never will again. I'm a hunter who doesn't care if my target shooting improves because of a peep.

If you have the ability to shoot a peep with both eyes open, some of the negatives aren't as bad. If you close one eye, I can't recommend shooting one. In this case, there is no doubt that a peep obstructs a part of your sight picture. It also cuts down on light - even if it has a large hole. When hunting, I want to see the whole animal in the best light possible. I also want to clearly see twigs or other potential obsticles that may be obscured by a peep.

A peep also has the potential to cause problems. It can twist, break, clog with water ice or snow. It may even move slightly up or down the string - just more things to go wrong in the field. In my opinion there are enough potential problems that can happen while hunting. I prefer to cut down on these as much as possible.

As for accuracy, a peep will allow more accurate shooting. However, if you practice a lot getting consistant anchors, the difference is not all that great. I usually finish in the top 3 in my winter league of about 90 shooters. This means that I'm certainly not an elite shooter, but that I can shoot more than well enough to take any animal within normal hunting distances.

My goal is to kill animals, not to add up points in a contest. I believe that not shooting with a peep has increased my odds of success. I'm sure you'll hear from others who think different. After all, I'm sure that over 90% of all hunters use peeps.