HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reserve your string
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Reserve your string

Ok boys here goes.
Since we are reserving you will have to remove the old serving. On one end of the serving you will see a ridge that runs part of the lenght of the serving that starts on one end. The ridge is the tag end of the serving material that the serving wraps over top of. Put that side to your right. Now slice the serving open along that ridge. All you are doing is removing a thin slice a little at at time. Do not use the tip of your knife. All you have to do is to completely cut one wrap and then you can unravel the serving.

Now mark the string where both ends of the serving were. Place another mark half an inch to the right of the left end of the serving so you have three marks. The mark to the right of the left end is where you stop serving with the serving tool and you start the back serve.

Put your string on your string jig and take all the slack out of the string so that there is no real tension on the string and run your serving material between the two bundles of string at the right mark. Now put some tension on the string with the string jig. I have no way of telling you how much tension but it should be about what the bow puts on and then some. Don't be shy about how much tension. I think the more the better and I haven't damaged a string yet. Don't for get that the tension put on the string when the xbow is fired is far higher than when the string is at rest.