HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions
Old 02-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

The Irish was believed to have started from the setting spaniel from Spain, which was imported to Ireland. The exact make up is unknown but, has been stated as from The Bloodhound, Pointer, Irish Water Spaniel, Gordon Setter, English Setter, and their progenitors have all been named as possible ancestors. Whatever crosses were used the transition from spaniel to setter was apparently very gradual. A close connection betweenthe breeds is further indicated by the existencein Irelandin about 1770 of a variety of setters called red spaniels.

Now we have had the show people try and ruin them but, fortunately some have survived this onslaught. Today there has been the Red Setter developed to try and save the Irish? But, overall my point is that by trying to create your own breed ofsporting/hunting dogfor the most part is a long process to go and not just a quick sudden here you go. So myself I do not encourage it though some have done this and it appears to be working OK for them.