HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I've been offered a hunt swap!!!
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM
GoatSlayer
Fork Horn

Default RE: I've been offered a hunt swap!!!

Tracker,

I have hunted Red Deer/Stag in both New Zealand and Argentina. I have never hunted in Ireland yet. But for the most part you will find American elk and Red Deer have a lot in common.

The species will interbreed and many of their habits are the same. Elk bugle Red Deer Roar. The both go crazy in the rut and basically act the same. They will spare, fight, roll in wallows and leave scent in much the same manner. You can hear both for quite a distance.

In New Zealand the guys there had a roar tube and would call the bulls and work them into a total frenzy. Just like calling a bull elk in the rut with the same results. The Stags would come charging in looking for Hinds and tear the ground around them into a pulp.

Sorry but I really hadn’t planned on returning to New Zealand so I didn’t pay a ton of attention to the items they had. To be honest I enjoyed my trip to Argentina much more. It was cheaper and also had a lot to offer. Not taking anything away form New Zealand it is a beautiful place and the people were friendly. Just Argentina was the better place for me.

I would give you one word of caution. I have made many swaps and have had outstanding results. But some states have regulations that alien non-residents only can hunt with a licensed outfitter/guide. I don’t know the rules in Pa. but you might want to look into that before you go making a swap.

It would be a shame to make a swap and get somebody over here to find out they couldn’t purchase a hunting license.

Best of luck hunting Stags in the rut! It is a thrill you will enjoy and remember for a lifetime.

Goatslayer…..