HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best .308 cal hunting bullet
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 08:47 AM
eldeguello
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best .308 cal hunting bullet

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

sad part about partitions iswhen you drive them hard from a high intensity round, the partition has a tendancy to rupture, when that happens penetration stops cold, this is likely to happen at close range. I prefer accubonds, they hold up better at high velocity impacts.
RR
I suppose what you describe COULD happen. But I have never seen one do this, when fired from a regular magnum such as the 7mm Rem., .300 H&H, .300 Win., or even the .300 Weatherby.

What "high impact velocities" do you believe cause a NPJ to rupture the partition wall? What was the cartridge you witnessed that did this with a Nosler Partition? Did you tell Nosler about this failure? I think they'd be interested in such an occurance!

But I would NOT say the NPJ "has a tendency" for the partition to rupture. I have used them since about 1960, and have only found the remains of THREE of them in a game animal. All had penetrated very deeply, were stopped by several impactswith heavy bone, and all had their partitions intact.The petals were folded back alongside the bullet shank and the front core was gone, which is how they are DESIGNED to work! Every other Nosler Partition bullet I ever shot at a game animal went completely through, at distances of from 30 yards to over 300 yards...... so, based on my experience with them,I consider aruptured partition to bea rather rare occurance.