HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions
Old 02-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

I had an Irish Setter as a kid and loved it very much, but, it was never trained to hunt as it was a family pet. He was very loyal and was a great companion to have around until he was hit by a truck. Then as a teenager I hunted over a friends Irish Setter and he was a great hunter and very loyal to my friend as well.
My next was a Black Lab and she was a great dog too, she put to rest at seventeen years old. She was more of a laid back type of hunter but, had a super nose. She was a great dog in the house as well. I knewI couldn't replace her so I went looking for the breed I had as a kid.
After searching the papers, adds from a magazine that is here, and the web for about three months I found what I was looking for! The hunting Irish Setter, I flew one in and what a nose she had. She was very quick and hyper as well. I found that by running her on the dirt roads that she was much calmer around the house so she gets to run whenever I get the chance to take her out. I liked how she hunted and flew in another Irish Setter and can he ever hunt! They both have champion hunting lines from the IKC out of Dublin, Ire. They make great pets around our children who are now within their teenage years. Both are very loyal and listen well, as try to make you proud of them when hunting. I do not have to hunt for them when the hunt is over as they like to know where I am at when hunting. So for me I am very happy with what I have for hunting dogs.